Let's talk about non-incremental season numbers

Discussion about the website and interfaces.
Report general bugs here.
Forum rules
This forum is now read-only. Support for TheTVDB.com is now available at https://support.thetvdb.com/
qdaoao

Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:45 pm

Many shows have companion shows. More specifically, some shows have companion shows that deal with the current season of the mainline show. One example is the Untucked series for RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars.

Much of the time, the companion show's seasons correspond to the mainline show's seasons. But what happens in the case of a companion show which goes on hiatus for one or more seasons? Well, as far as TVDB is concerned, the two shows' seasons must now go out of sync, because season numbers must always increment by one.

You can probably see where I'm going with this, but I am not campaigning; rather, I'm earnestly trying to understand the logic behind this rule, because from my point of view, the cons outweigh the pros.

In the case of Drag Race All Stars, which is now on Season 5, the corresponding companion show (Untucked) is listed on TVDB as Season 2. The places where you can watch the show officially are listing it as Season 5, because, naturally, you would only watch this season of Untucked if you're watching this season (5) of the mainline show.

So yeah, can someone help me understand the logic behind this rule? If I can understand the logic, I can feel better knowing it's not just an arbitrary rule for the sake of having a rule.
Equinox
Site Moderator

Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:59 am

I brought this up with the team for further discussion, and we were all in agreement that season numbers should be consecutive, even in the case of companion shows like Untucked.
While the current season of Untucked corresponds with the fifth season of RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars, it is unequivocally the second season of Untucked that was produced. This has been our approach with other companion series, like Talking Dead.
You can use season titles to make it easier for you.
qdaoao

Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:35 am

Can you tell me why some shows use years as their numbers, as opposed to a number representing their airing order? Such shows 'skip' numbers that way.

Again, I'm asking less to argue, and more so that I can gain a comprehensive understanding behind the logic across all shows, because right now it still feels arbitrary that production order overrides the companionship order for a show that would not exist were it not for said (time-sensitive) companionship.

Is it also a matter of not wanting to retroactively change companion series' season numbers?
qdaoao

Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:05 pm

Just posting some other users' feedback for reference: viewtopic.php?p=180369&sid=8319aff14212 ... 6d#p180369
qdaoao

Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:21 pm

Can someone explain the skipping of seasons here: https://www.thetvdb.com/series/showtime-at-the-apollo
Evan_

Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:42 pm

qdaoao wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:21 pm
Can someone explain the skipping of seasons here: https://www.thetvdb.com/series/showtime-at-the-apollo
Hi :)

I think there are two possible reasons:

- The first is that no one wanted to add them

- And the second and that no one has found information about the unlisted episodes

The reason may be other but I think that's it
eherberg
Site Moderator

Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:24 pm

That is essentially it. Adding a new season doesn't require that you add everything prior. Daytime television is a good example. When I first started updating my wife's weekday chat show a couple of years ago, I started with the season that was airing at the time. It did not mean that I had to first find the details of the previous 11 seasons (150+ episodes each season) prior to starting the (at the time) current season.