Request to fix Danganronpa 3 anime series

Where rejected requests go to die.
Seriously though, we're open to discussion; but read the stickied thread first to avoid a premature termination of the conversation.
Forum rules
Rules | Acceptable Sources | Exceptions
If your request was denied or your listing was removed without explanation, now would be a good time to review these sections, as it likely ran afoul of them.

DO NOT CONTACT MODERATORS REGARDING POLICY ENFORCEMENT.
If you feel the application of a policy is unfair, please open a Policy Inquiry, with the understanding that administrators (red names) set the policies and moderators (green names) must enforce them within reasonable degrees of latitude.

DO NOT CITE WIKIPEDIA!

Due to the egregious nature of the vast majority of requests pertaining to The Bible and The Lost Room, they will immediately be moved here. Further rejection of the rules and volunteer efforts to remedy the situation will be met with thread and series locks, as well as forums bans as necessary.

ALL REQUESTS TO UNLOCK SERIES FOR TRANSLATIONS WILL BE MOVED HERE WITHOUT NOTICE!
You may propose translations for locked series by starting a new thread after clicking here.
escapist

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:36 am

I understand that similar requests to fix this series have been rejected before, but I have to request that mods please look it over again and realise that the way the series is listed on TVdb right now is just plain inaccurate.

There are two main Danganronpa series
- Danganronpa: The Animation, a standalone single season series released in 2013, and
- Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy, which consists of two seasons/series titled "Side: Future" and "Side: Despair". These ran in parallel in 2016.

Somehow TVdb lists Danganronpa 3 Side: Future as Season 2 of the previous series Danganronpa: The Animation, when again, that 2013 series was only ever a single season.
(Source: AniDB)

"Side: Future" should actually be Season 1 of Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy series, while the Side: Despair should be its Season 2.
And Side: Hope remains as a special episode of the series.

Both "Side: Future" and "Side: Hope" even have the same main titles "Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy" (or "Danganronpa 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen"), so for the former to be labelled as season 2 of a different Danganronpa series is completely wrong.

The following links may also act as sources of evidence to the correct format of these series:
Release news on AnimeNewsNetwork
This article clearly describes both "Side: Future" and "Side: Hope" as companion series to each other, that would be aired at the same time.

Amazon Prime Video
Has both "Side: Future" and "Side: Despair" as different seasons of the same series.
(The order is reversed cause the series are meant to be watched in parallel, which is confusing and a different issue altogether, but Future is generally recommended to be watched first before Despair, hence my suggested Side: Future" be listed as Season 1, while "Side: Despair is renumbered to Season 2.)

I noticed previous requests to move "Side: Future" from season 2 of Danganronpa: The Animation to being part of Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy have been rejected because "Side: Future" and Danganronpa: The Animation share characters, but that really doesn't make sense, as being a narrative sequel doesn't necessarily make it part of the same series.
That's like saying season 2 of Fear The Walking Dead should be listed as season 8 or whatever of The Walking Dead.
In fact, having watched the series, the main group of characters from Danganronpa: The Animation never even show up in "Side: Future", so that reason doesn't really hold.

Again, please look into this request and do let me know if there is further information you would require before agreeing to the change, instead of simply rejecting it.
I believe there's a reason there have been so many previous requests to fix this, and it just doesn't look right to as a fan of the series that it shows up so wrongly on my media server. Thank you!
escapist

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:24 am

Correcting a typo I made in my initial post:
Release news on AnimeNewsNetwork
This article clearly describes both "Side: Future" and "Side: Despair" as companion series to each other, that would be aired at the same time.
rev.pragon
Site Moderator

Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:42 am

I can remember that this isn´t new. Here was the Post: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=58852&p=159238&hil ... pa#p159238
I understand your Struggle, but the Series were released this Way and i have to tell you they will stay as it is. Sry.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=25066&p=102089#p102089
https://anidb.net/anime/9555/relation/graph
Furthermore we don´t change a Seriesorder after 4 Years, that would cause too much Problems with existing Mediacenters. I recommend you to use nfo Files for individual Orders.
No Support via PN. Read the Rules.
escapist

Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:31 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I understand that it's a repeated request and one for a relatively old series, but I just thought that having the correct series info would be one more step toward making TVdb "the most accurate source for TV".

I don't really understand what you mean by "the series was released this way" though. What does "released" mean in this sense?
Because the season in question was released three years apart from the series it is incorrectly listed under, when the correct series it belongs to was literally released during the same time instead.

Do you mean that once someone submits incorrect info and it is not corrected within a few years, there's no going back to change it? Because that's simply what it is now - wrong information on that series.
disneian

Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:24 am

I'd like to support escapist request on this issue. Although the order in aniDB is correct in terms of story chronicle, the official website shows that the two side is released in the same series.

According to the website, the episodes of the two parts [Side: Future] and [Side: Despair] is released alternately, with [Side: Hope] released as the series final episode. This also mirrors the alternating structure of [(Not) Normal Arc] and [Not Normal Arc] in the first series.

Although in subsequent DVD/Blu-ray release, the two sides are often separated for a better viewing experience and marketing purposes, the two parts is still considered as one series. Placing half of the story arc as season 2 of Danganronpa, while leaving the other half as its own series, not only break the series apart, but also leave the third single arc [Side: Hope] as a special or its own movie on TVDB instead of the series finale.

Please reconsider regrouping the three sides (Future, Despair, Hope) into one series as Danganronpa 3. Or, at the very least, separating [Side: Future] as its own series as aniDB does. The current organization placing [Side: Future] under Danganronpa while separating [Side: Despair] just breaks the structure of the series.