I can't upload Icon Artwork - "The file field is required"

Request series, season banners, episode images or Fan Art, display banners you've created, and discuss related topics.
krillfeeder

Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:02 am

Hi- I've just made my first entry to TVDB and I've had no problems uploading any art except for Icon artwork. I've formatted a .png to 1024x1024 as the Icon Artwork upload page demands, but once the image shows up I get the message in red, "The file field is required," and I can't proceed.

As a test, I uploaded a 512x512 image, and the error message was appropriately regarding the incorrect size, NOT "The file field is required."

I've made the attempt with both Chrome and Edge. What do you think I'm missing?
Mistywing
Site Moderator

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:05 pm

Are you uploading to movies or series? There is currently a file format issue with movies where JPG is required despite the instructions stating PNG.
I can't reproduce your error on Chrome, Edge and Firefox in TV Series with a properly formatted PNG.

EDIT:
I'm deleting your entry. Diebuster is listed as season 2 of Gunbuster. Please read the rules of the site concerning anime specifically.
Additionally, artworks of the panel type REQUIRE that the series logo be included on them.
krillfeeder

Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:57 pm

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I opted to add the series Diebuster as a series separate from the original 1988 Gunbuster for two reasons: First, because I feel strongly that it has never been presented as a second season of the series, but as an all new series only loosely connected to its 20-year predecessor; and Second, in the effort to scrape the series or episode details from TVDB the series kept being conflated with Gunbuster by my media player. I think this has likely caused a lot of confusion with viewers in my position who simply don't see the series as a second season. As evidence I submit the fact that within 12 hours of my creating the entry, 5 users had already favorited Diebuster as its own series separate from Gunbuster, in contrast to 17 who favorited Gunbuster over the last 12 years.

I'd be very interested in taking the time to follow the rules and rebuild the entry as a movie, as both Diebuster and Gunbuster are OVA and not proper tv series- as Gunbuster is currently (incorrectly) listed- as well as provide appropriate series logos on the panel art.

Thanks again for your response. I'm grateful mods like you are helping maintain TVDB's high standards. I'd like to contribute if I could.
Mistywing
Site Moderator

Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:22 pm

The official title for Diebuster in Japanese has a 2 in it... it literally can't be interpreted in any other way :?

Top wo Nerae!
Top wo Nerae 2!
トップをねらえ! GunBuster
トップをねらえ2! DIEBUSTER

User input is valued on TheTVDB of course, but there are limits. One of them is that we don't allow separate series for seasons of anime that happen to have different titles.

Adding OVAs as movies right now shouldn't be very high on the priority list. Absolutely no support or features exist to allow scraping and grouping of the six episodes together on the site or API. It seems to be a long term plan at the moment. You can do it, but I think you'll be disappointed in the results of the current possibilities... It works well enough for OVAs that can stand alone but not some that are intrinsically linked like this one.

You can add the artwork to the season 2 list on Gunbuster though.
krillfeeder

Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:00 am

"One of them is that we don't allow separate series for seasons of anime that happen to have different titles."

I contend that the titles are different *because* they're different series. The second series is called "Gunbuster 2," not "Gunbuster, *season* 2," making the latter a *sequel,* not a second season. This is supported by the fact that it was given its own name, "Diebuster."

More significant are the stories themselves: Gunbuster 2 also has vanishingly little to do with the first series. It takes place hundreds of years later, was produced almost 20 years after the first, it has none of the same characters as the first, and only superficially intersects with the events of the first series. I maintain that it's a mistake to conflate them as same series which will only continue to confuse TVDB's users.

/$.02. Thanks for your time.