IMPORTANT: show search result in wrong order that impacts application efficiency

A place for developers to advertise their TheTVDB.com enabled app and get help from other developers with the API.
bragon

Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:43 am

Hi,

I would like to report that since latest backend udpates (APIv3?) when searching a show, matches are reported in a weird order that prevents automatic scrape in many applications including mine (nova video player) resulting in complaints from users. This behavior changed wrt previous backend implementation.

To illustrate this statement when searching for instance White Collar: https://www.thetvdb.com/search?query=white%20collar popular expected result and perfect string match is on the 4th position!

This prevents any automatic scrape (media info retrieval). This forces users to manually scrape their shows.

Would there be a possibility to change this behavior?

Thank you for your great work and efforts,
emilyhelwig

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:01 am

Hi there, we've ticketed this. Thanks.
bragon

Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:08 am

Thank you!
devsfan1830

Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:33 am

Think I have a related occurrence of the problem. This is for the TV show Archer. My folder is named Archer (2009). Searching on the website "Archer (2009)" is the second search result. However, the scrape in Kodi uses the first entry. Some show from 1975. So despite my folder being a perfect string match, it uses the first entry the search returns even if it is wrong, As a work around i named my folder with the TVDB show ID (110381) and it scrapes properly. Will note that in the upper left of my screen it shows the scrape status and this show ID apparently returns as "Archer (2009)(1-1-)(en)" or something like that. Not sure if thats maybe a relevant detail to this issue.
bragon

Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:12 am

I have opened a gitlab issue on this https://gitlab.thetvdb.com/site/thetvdb_api/issues/75
bragon

Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:13 am

devsfan1830 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:33 am
Think I have a related occurrence of the problem. This is for the TV show Archer. My folder is named Archer (2009). Searching on the website "Archer (2009)" is the second search result. However, the scrape in Kodi uses the first entry. Some show from 1975. So despite my folder being a perfect string match, it uses the first entry the search returns even if it is wrong, As a work around i named my folder with the TVDB show ID (110381) and it scrapes properly. Will note that in the upper left of my screen it shows the scrape status and this show ID apparently returns as "Archer (2009)(1-1-)(en)" or something like that. Not sure if thats maybe a relevant detail to this issue.
you are right this is indeed the issue that every video application scrape capable is facing right now including kodi.
emilyhelwig

Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:00 pm

Hi there, thanks for your patience as we researched this issue. Unfortunately, at this time, we've decided not to devote resources to this issue as there are a few workarounds in place, and it seems to only have a limited number of use cases right now. I will keep you updated on any other developments we're making to the search function as it relates to scraping shows for your media center.
Jontia

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:04 pm

Just in case you're collecting evidence for use cases where this has been an issue.
I'm using Video Station on a Synology NAS and had this issue for the following shows;

Star Trek, where "Star Trek" was the 4th result behind "Star Trek : Science Vs Fiction", "Star Trek of Gods and Men" and "Star Trek New Voyages Phase II"

Game of Thrones, where Game of Thrones ranks behind "Game of Thrones: Cartoon Parody " and "Game of Thrones Talk"