Cable Girls - Character name change

All completed requests go in here. This way we can clean our main forums, but still have this stuff show up in search.
Forum rules
PLEASE REFRAIN FROM REPLYING TO POSTS IN THIS SECTION DAYS/WEEKS/MONTHS AFTER THE FACT!
If you believe that you need to have a change fulfilled immediately, please start a new topic.

We do not actively check threads for replies as they are considered to be over and done with once they are moved here.
If you have a valid reason to reiterate an issue already covered in such a thread, please post a new topic in the appropriate area of the forum.
cartigags

Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:35 pm

Cable Girls has a transgender character that would need the correct name displayed.

Since S3, Sara Millán’s character came out as transgender and goes by the name of Oscar Ruiz. S4 was just released and has all the rest of the characters addressing him with his new name.

It’s a Netflix original. Check episode descriptions for S4 to further validate: https://www.netflix.com/title/80100929? ... d=13747225
Mistywing
Site Moderator

Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:35 pm

We should probably add another actor entry instead of changing the name that refers to her role in the first two seasons since some users may still wish to track the information about the actress's role in these earlier episodes separately.
I assume the character's appearance has changed as well, so a new separate picture would probably be more appropriate than just a name change on the current picture.

I hope that makes sense from both an information providing and obviously respecting the characters perspectives.

If you can provide the picture for Oscar (the actress in her role as him, 300x450 JPG), we will upload it to the new entry that will be created.

EDIT: Otherwise, I can do something like this by using a separator, but I'm not sure many will like it.
szsori
Site Admin

Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:57 pm

We'll use the slash separator, since that's how we've done it in other instances where a character has two names ("Batman / Bruce Wayne" in some instances). I think the character image is the only touchy part, so perhaps just choose an image that will be least likely to offend people. I dislike having separate characters for the person since they're not separate... I think people would take greater offense to that.
Mistywing
Site Moderator

Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:24 pm

That's true. I tried thinking about it from a few perspectives but I guess I missed that one while reasoning with the site's technical support for this situation.
I'm also trying to think about spoilers regarding this situation. I've read a bit of information and apparently this transition occurs mid-season. I found some potential pictures but since they depict the after reveal (they are also a bit small and low quality) I have the same apprehension for placing them upfront and potentially ruining this character development for users watching this series.
I feel like there's not really a perfect way to go about this personally. I also want to satisfy this request most appropriately, but I am a bit conflicted due to the temporal component of this change. If it was his identity from the start of the series I feel it would be much simpler. Perhaps I am placing too high a value on spoilers?
cartigags

Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:26 pm

I think an image where he has a neutral appearance like this would work just fine. Also, I personally like the idea of a separator in the same character, it’s more fitting and still respectful.

I don’t think spoilers might be big deal since they been throwing hints since the beginning of the show.
Mistywing
Site Moderator

Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:59 pm

Okay. I replaced the previous image with this new one.
I have also placed the new name in front of the old one. I think this is how it's supposed to be, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Finally I have set the gender flag to male (not sure if this shows up in certain apps or not but if it does it's also there now.)
You can see the changes here.

If everything is all right, I will mark this as resolved.
cartigags

Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:21 pm

Great! Thank you so much for taking the time and all the factors in consideration.