Dust series (season 1, misordered) covert to years

Coordinate actions for unlocked series here.
royalefg

Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:25 am

https://www.thetvdb.com/series/dust

This series has no season structure at all. They release videos on YouTube channel, but they now also have a watchdust.com site, that doesn't present everything(probably some legal reason). Youtube has release dates and the most info about each short film. 140 episodes have been placed in Season One, but only the first 30 or so are in good chronological order. After that they jump all over the map. The contributor followed the order on a channel that created their own, somewhat random order of the series offering. I've built a spreadsheet of the correct order (according to youtube publication dates) and, over time, i'd like to move thetvdb listing to a yearly 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 season order. Someone else already built most of 2019.

So what is the process here. I can rebuild everything under 2016-2018, but what about the season one duplicates. I'd rather remove them only when i've accounted for all of Season One that has been already entered into the TVDB. BTW It isn't complete, skips lots of episodes (100+).

Do we contact an admin to delete the season one structure? (once it is completely replaced by yearly versions)
Is it a problem/against policy to have duplicate episodes in season one & the year, until the conversion is done?
Mistywing
Site Moderator

Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:49 pm

We can move episodes around seasons or rename seasons altogether, so deleting things outright shouldn't be too necessary.
If you had put the dates for all the current episodes everything could've been moved already, so I'll come back when that's done to move the rest. I already moved everything with dates to the seasons with the same year.
For the rest and if you need to insert episodes between other episodes, you can adjust the aired order number (Episode Number) to make these changes.

Also if you could put your seasonal poster in the seasons instead of the main page that'd be more appropriate. The site now supports the same image sizes and restrictions for both areas.
royalefg

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:29 pm

Thank you, Mistywing.

The googlesheet below has the list of episodes to be moved.
Red columns (B, C) have their current Season, Episode.
Green columns (D, E) has the Season, Episode of where it belongs.

If you move them to the year I can move them to the correct episode #. I've already taken care of the ones you've moved.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Thank You
Mistywing
Site Moderator

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:07 pm

Point out the mistakes I made if there's any.
royalefg

Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:50 pm

Mistywing, thank you. Everything is where it belongs and I've filled in screenshots, dates, imdb & details for all of the existing ones.

I was trying to figure out how to replace a screenshot. I can't see an option for it.
https://www.thetvdb.com/series/dust/episodes/7129848
I uploaded the wrong screenshot to this episode. Can only admin fix this type of mistake?
Mistywing
Site Moderator

Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:14 pm

We're going to have to fix all of them. We don't do manual letterboxing (or any kind of changing the aspect ratios of the original broadcast), network logos and title cards.
Put them all in an imgur album (or other competent image host) with the episode numbers when you're done taking new clean screenshots.
And yes currently only moderators can replace images, not even delete them.
Image must be in JPG format, be less than 500kb, contain no nudity, and be either 400x225 (HD episode) or 400x300 (SD episode). The image should not contain the network watermark/logo.
If you want to completely remove the network branding while playing the Youtube videos, add this filter to your ublock settings temporarily

Code: Select all

||i.ytimg.com/an/7sDT8jZ76VLV1u__krUutA/featured_channel.jpg$image
But I won't begrudge you for not doing it and the logo is fairly tiny in these sections. We just don't want huge logos like the ones you have now if at all possible.
royalefg

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:46 am

I wished I had spotted that restriction earlier. I saw it late last night. The other users had used the same style, so I didn't consider that it might be an issue. (RTFM!) I now have 265 of the 285 screencaps cleaned-the last 20 are a different logo and I'll redo those. Took 5 minutes with XnView's CLEAR batch functions to position a blackout of the logo and batch all of them. I used XMView to convert them to the correct size in seconds, too. Great free image utility with batch functions.

It really blows that we can't fix our own upload mistakes. What a headache for admins. And the thing that threw me is the button to add a screenshot is the "ADD/REPLACE IMAGE" button. It wasn't until I made a mistake that I realized the button is completely removed. Meanwhile, I can delete MY OWN posters and artwork to my heart's content but not art by another user. But MY OWN screenshots are not mine to remove. From a programmer's standpoint, the popup that displays the screencap should use the same programming as the popup of the posters as that is where the DELETE button exists only when it is my image. Of course, if the uploader's ID was destroyed and not retained with screencaps, then the system is screwed by that short-sightedness.

If you're willing to delete all the sceencaps, I'm willing to replace them. I won't load any new clean screencaps on the episodes I create from this point so there is no confusion of which need to be removed.

Technically, the series is DUST and the logo is for DUST shorts. So it could be considered the title of the show, (like Game of Thrones, Seinfeld, Walking Dead) rather than a network (HBO, NBC, AMC.) :-)
Mistywing
Site Moderator

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:22 pm

I'm fairly sure the backend supports all of these features you mention still, since it was available before on the UI. It's just not anymore due to the site update in 2018.

I unfortunately can't delete or batch delete images due to this, only replace them one by one. The only thing I can batch process is delete entire seasons worth of episodes.

When you are done with the images make sure to label them clearly somehow (SXXEYY is enough) and I'll take my time with it to upload them.
royalefg

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:18 pm

Mistywing

The dropbox link below has a directory for each season with the screencaps that needs swapping. Season#/Episode# and title are in each filename for each clean JPG.
There is also a ZIP file of all five directories if it would be easier for you to unzip and work from a local drive.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bynzgtq57el5 ... rJbya?dl=0

If you just wanted to remove the screencaps, I will upload the replacements. Whatever is less work for you.
Mistywing
Site Moderator

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:59 pm

Framing and timing aside, these are the kinds of images I am asking for.

When the episode is filmed in an aspect ratio greater than 16:9, black bars are inevitable. In this case, a judicious crop or a full scaling down of the image will be accepted:

When the episode is filmed in a 16:9 aspect ratio, the image MUST be in 16:9 as well with NO LETTERBOXING added to it:

In the case of a 4:3 aspect ratio episode, the image MUST be in 4:3 with NO PILLARBOXING added.

Please note that there is no network or any logotype present, as well as no manual censoring of said logos.

However as I stated before, I will tolerate the presence of the Youtube channel branding in the bottom right corner, as that is the default viewing condition and utilizing adblock/ublock to defeat it is technically more difficult than simply screen-capping and saving/scaling the result.

Here is an example of such an image:

And here it is without logos, as you can see the difference is minimal hence why it's not as important to do this step:

I also want to suggest you review your JPEG export settings as the quality it results in is quite low overall, leading to many artifacts and pixelation being visible. Try to go above 90%, in general from experience there is rarely a need to go below 95% for any image type to upload on the site.