THIS DATABASE/WEBSITE/FORUM IS DEAD PEOPLE......

Discussion about the website and interfaces.
Report general bugs here.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SERIES REQUESTS HERE.
Use the appropriate forum.
Requests posted here are subject to immediate deletion.
Mistywing

Re: THIS DATABASE/WEBSITE/FORUM IS DEAD PEOPLE......

Postby Mistywing » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:16 pm

loyis7 wrote:Turn back the database to unlocked titles, and we will see who is right and who is wrong in the end......

Definitely won't happen.
We already know that locking entries and records is the right thing to do. It's already been explained to you why it happens. Take this explanation or leave it.
What will hopefully change soon is the reach of the current locks, but to be perfectly clear: absolutely nothing functionality wise will change between now and whenever the site is updated. Something which will happen.

loyis7

Postby loyis7 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:52 pm

Mistywing wrote:
loyis7 wrote:Turn back the database to unlocked titles, and we will see who is right and who is wrong in the end......

Definitely won't happen.
We already know that locking entries and records is the right thing to do. It's already been explained to you why it happens. Take this explanation or leave it.
What will hopefully change soon is the reach of the current locks, but to be perfectly clear: absolutely nothing functionality wise will change between now and whenever the site is updated. Something which will happen.

I didn't expect you to do it. I was absolutely sure you wouldn't...
But, allow me to disagree with it, and with the way things are done around here. Or i should better and more correctly say, not done...!
Top Contributor to Blu-Ray.com
Major Contributor to TheMovieDB
My Movie Trailers channel in YouTube
My Movie Trailers group in Facebook

Mistywing

Postby Mistywing » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:13 pm

You can disagree with it but the evidence has made it quite clear to me in just one year of being a moderator.

The community alone cannot (and should not be expected to either, by the way, as it's a huge fucking waste of time) deal with a dedicated vandal troll messing with what are by all statistical accounts extremely popular and currently airing series drawing in millions of viewers every episode.

It takes one to ruin a good thing for many, and it has happened many many times over. Locks are a safeguard against that scenario incessantly repeating itself.

Furthermore, and for a completely different reason, this is a database on which millions also rely to provide stable and correct metadata. A series' episode order and other information cannot be allowed to remain in a constant state of flux and controversy due to users warring over the state of things.

A final decision in these cases is to be expected, aligned with the policies set forth and enforced by the administration and the moderators. Locks are used for this purpose as well.

You'll have to excuse my skepticism but I truly doubt that the bluRay database you contributed to does not have similar tools. TheMovieDB certainly has these options, but they are obviously better performing.

I think that future site updates for TVDB will have improvements on this aspect as it is fairly reasonable to examine the situation and understand that they are currently not adequate. If that's not the case, do not worry, we also agree and will bring it up again.