V2 Just become more user unfriendly

Discuss the new site and features.
Forum rules
Updates. Issues. Resolutions.

If you don't see it here, feel free to ask!
Please note that the new site is in its early infancy, and asking the same question will not lead to different results.
That said, a number of features will be returning as soon as the site is stable and reliable.
Akyardba

V2 Just become more user unfriendly

Postby Akyardba » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:23 pm

Added many and many "step" (click) and "scrolling" behaviour
- long page on "Add episode"
- long page on "Edit episode"

Added hugh workload to contributor
- Why I have to think a sloug on adding series? why don't generae it
- Why I have to add a english name for episode when i am not going to maintain english
- Why the add episode page is so long and hard to use

There still no advanced search after launched 2 month.
- It is wasting contributor's effort as we can search by IMDB or alias for duplicate series

Maybe v2's responsive design is more user friendly for viewer, but v2 is definitely user unfriendly for contributor.

Contribute to v2 is a nightmare

genemct

V2 ... Yuck

Postby genemct » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:20 pm

Ok, having used it a few months here are some of the issues I see when trying to add data on a tablet in chrome.
Turn off autocomplete. It is useless in the majority of fields, blocks the actual field in many places so you are never sure where the cursor is, and frequently causes the page to jump.
First aired date needs to change back to a text entry, pick whatever date format you want, but clicking through calendar months and clicking with your finger on a tiny date is a massive pain in the ass.
Since I don't have eidetic memory, I frequently consult other tabs while inputting data. But if you have changed a date, leave thetvdb, then come back in sometimes the date reverts to what it was, resulting in a dammit! after saving.
Too much wasted space between fields. I have about 3 screens worth of scrolling.
The whole edit an existing episode in 2 places? Well, I doubt it that can be fixed now, but please, at least consider some method to get it back on the same page in future updates, it is not ideal for multiple updates.
Fix the stuff that is broken. Not displaying absolute numbers, DVD order numbers etc. When updating, do I need to add that data? I have to edit just to see if it is already filled out.
Get rid of header images for more than 48 hrs.

Strictly IMO, the website is for data entry, and it should be designed to facilitate that. Are people using the website to view data, or to make sure the app/program they use has the correct data?

Thanks!

Mistywing
Site Moderator

Re: V2 Just become more user unfriendly

Postby Mistywing » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:59 am

I have merged both of your topics into one because they seem to describe similar issues of user unfriendliness and were posted very close to each other. I hope you don't mind.

I will also have to add my voice to this as well especially with regards to adding episodes successively and quickly. I only add twelve episodes at a time too, but this new anime season has really highlighted a problem with the new design and its behavior to me.

The previous site allowed adding episodes on the season overview page and remained there.
This new site has you load into a different page to fill out details, and then loads you into the published episode page once that is saved with the only button available all the way at the bottom.

This new procedure is fairly tedious and involves a lot of going through different pages to add episodes. As I said, I only do twelve but I really can't imagine having to add double this amount or more! I probably wouldn't do it anymore if I wanted to add series that big.

rev.pragon
Trusted Translator

Postby rev.pragon » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:18 am

i agree with it. it´s more work to add the details now. especially getting no answers on some quesitions is very frustrating sometimes...

Atoz

Re: V2 ... (Header Images Toggling)

Postby Atoz » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:34 pm

genemct wrote:Get rid of header images for more than 48 hrs.

Speaking of that button that turns off the header images for 48 hrs, is there a way to turn them back on before that? If not, shouldn't there be?

A button to toggle them on as well would make sense. That would enable those who want to have their images back earlier or just want to take a peek at a specific show's header, and folks who want them off indefinitely could achieve that via a quick toggle every 47.9999999 hrs (Ha x 2). Really, though, with a toggle switch, I don't know why any timed return would be necessary.

Ultimately, users who have more control over their personal TVDB environments are just happier TVDB users.

beren

Postby beren » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:55 am

I honestly prefer the old site for viewing. The layout is huge now, to much wasted space. i should be able to have so many more episodes shown on a page like before. I also miss the old color scheme.

fuzi719

Postby fuzi719 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:09 am

I really don't like V2 at all. Very unfriendly and just downright ugly.