Dragon Ball Kai Season 2/Specials Issue

Where rejected requests go to die.
Seriously though, we're open to discussion; but read the stickied thread first to avoid a premature termination of the conversation.
Forum rules
Rules | Acceptable Sources | Exceptions
If your request was denied or your listing was removed without explanation, now would be a good time to review these sections, as it likely ran afoul of them.

DO NOT CONTACT MODERATORS REGARDING POLICY ENFORCEMENT.
If you feel the application of a policy is unfair, please open a Policy Inquiry, with the understanding that administrators (red names) set the policies and moderators (green names) must enforce them within reasonable degrees of latitude.

DO NOT CITE WIKIPEDIA!

Due to the egregious nature of the vast majority of requests pertaining to The Bible and The Lost Room, they will immediately be moved here. Further rejection of the rules and volunteer efforts to remedy the situation will be met with thread and series locks, as well as forums bans as necessary.

ALL REQUESTS TO UNLOCK SERIES FOR TRANSLATIONS WILL BE MOVED HERE WITHOUT NOTICE!
You may propose translations for locked series by starting a new thread after clicking here.
t4nd4r

Dragon Ball Kai Season 2/Specials Issue

Postby t4nd4r » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:39 am

Hello,

I've noticed a few forum topics already created for the issue that has occurred in the Dragon Ball Kai series but it seems as if we still don't have a resolution to it.

There is plenty of evidence to support that there are no "Specials" in this TV show. The "Specials" for DBZ in general are usually movies. Currently, what is set are 8 episodes pulled out of Season 2 and placed into the "Specials" section. If you just take a look at the synopsis/story you can tell it makes no sense to pull these out and placed into the "Specials" let alone removing them from the order of Season 2.

Please, if possible, unlock the series so we may adjust it correctly.

Proof: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_D ... Saga_(2014)

Yes, this indeed says "Season 5" here, but please ignore that and focus on the episode names. They are all in order together and they match the names of what "Season 2" currently should be without specials.

To be more precise the episodes listed in "Specials" currently are:

8 Peace Returns! A Time of Rest for the Warriors!
7 A Creeping Conspiracy! The Target is Gohan
6 An Eerie Entity, Who Exactly is Spopovich?
5 The Junior Champ Is Finally Decided! Who Will Fight Against Mr. Satan?
4 Who Is the World's Greatest? The Tournament Preliminaries Begin!
3 Entering the World Martial Arts Tournament! Goten Shows Off His Explosive Power During Training!
2 A Monster is Taken Away! The Culprit is Great Saiyaman?
1 Videl's Crisis? Gohan's Urgent Callout

They should be listed in "Season 2" as:

67 Peace Returns! A Time of Rest for the Warriors!
15 A Creeping Conspiracy! The Target is Gohan
13 An Eerie Entity, Who Exactly is Spopovich?
10 The Junior Champ Is Finally Decided! Who Will Fight Against Mr. Satan?
8 Who Is the World's Greatest? The Tournament Preliminaries Begin!
5 Entering the World Martial Arts Tournament! Goten Shows Off His Explosive Power During Training!
4 A Monster is Taken Away! The Culprit is Great Saiyaman?
3 Videl's Crisis? Gohan's Urgent Callout

More sources directly having the episode names together:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?sh ... e&aid=6399

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycl ... 90&page=25

Best example has Dragon Ball Kai and Dragon Ball Kai (2014):
https://myanimelist.net/anime/22777/Dra ... 14/episode

Thank you for taking the time to consider this request, as many people have made many forums asking about this show.

lhdlovebooh

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Season 2/Specials Issue

Postby lhdlovebooh » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:44 am

t4nd4r wrote:Hello,

I've noticed a few forum topics already created for the issue that has occurred in the Dragon Ball Kai series but it seems as if we still don't have a resolution to it.

There is plenty of evidence to support that there are no "Specials" in this TV show. The "Specials" for DBZ in general are usually movies. Currently, what is set are 8 episodes pulled out of Season 2 and placed into the "Specials" section. If you just take a look at the synopsis/story you can tell it makes no sense to pull these out and placed into the "Specials" let alone removing them from the order of Season 2.

Please, if possible, unlock the series so we may adjust it correctly.

Proof: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_D ... Saga_(2014)

Yes, this indeed says "Season 5" here, but please ignore that and focus on the episode names. They are all in order together and they match the names of what "Season 2" currently should be without specials.

To be more precise the episodes listed in "Specials" currently are:

8 Peace Returns! A Time of Rest for the Warriors!
7 A Creeping Conspiracy! The Target is Gohan
6 An Eerie Entity, Who Exactly is Spopovich?
5 The Junior Champ Is Finally Decided! Who Will Fight Against Mr. Satan?
4 Who Is the World's Greatest? The Tournament Preliminaries Begin!
3 Entering the World Martial Arts Tournament! Goten Shows Off His Explosive Power During Training!
2 A Monster is Taken Away! The Culprit is Great Saiyaman?
1 Videl's Crisis? Gohan's Urgent Callout

They should be listed in "Season 2" as:

67 Peace Returns! A Time of Rest for the Warriors!
15 A Creeping Conspiracy! The Target is Gohan
13 An Eerie Entity, Who Exactly is Spopovich?
10 The Junior Champ Is Finally Decided! Who Will Fight Against Mr. Satan?
8 Who Is the World's Greatest? The Tournament Preliminaries Begin!
5 Entering the World Martial Arts Tournament! Goten Shows Off His Explosive Power During Training!
4 A Monster is Taken Away! The Culprit is Great Saiyaman?
3 Videl's Crisis? Gohan's Urgent Callout

More sources directly having the episode names together:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?sh ... e&aid=6399

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycl ... 90&page=25

Best example has Dragon Ball Kai and Dragon Ball Kai (2014):
https://myanimelist.net/anime/22777/Dra ... 14/episode

Thank you for taking the time to consider this request, as many people have made many forums asking about this show.

Really, linking anidb that put them in special and not Season 2

On ANN: "Exclusive to the international version", "Exclusive to the international version"

There is plenty of evidences that theses episodes are specials since they were not broadcasted in Japan. And thus should be in special.

Wikipedia JP:

サイヤ人編 - 人造人間・セル編:全97話+未放送1話
魔人ブウ編:全61話  

97 episodes for Season 1 and 61 for season 2.

monster2control

Postby monster2control » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:57 pm

I'm extremely new to trying to edit information here, but after reading as much as I could on the forum about this issue, I wanted to know if there was any way we can resolve this, so I am asking questions that might spark ideas:

1. Why Can the English dubbed versions of a Series be considered different from the Japanese versions?
    2. Could there be an separate series for the Funimation version Vs. the Fuji TV version?
    - Like how things like "The Office" are done, (US), (UK), (CAN)
    - "Dragon Ball Z Kai (US)"
    - This resolve the entire issue of legitamently aired in the US episodes not being marked as "specials"
    - This resolves the issue that all the "Aired" dates are for Japan, not US, where as the US air dates are obviously different.

I was just going to make a new series entry myself, for the RULES says I need to talk it out in the forum for before I just go a do it, but making a new (US) entry seems to make the most logical sense and would resolve all the issues with incorrect information if you are using TheTVDB for the US (Funimation) version of the show and not the originally aired in Japan version of the show.

I also see a lot of arguments about evidence, on these topics, but I think that route will never be resolvable because in essence, we are talking about two different shows. It's an Apples Vs. Oranges thing here. While the Animation itself is the same, the voice actors differ, the cut differs, and even the titles seem to differ. So, I think at the end of the day, what we have is a different show.

Thanks for your time.

J68

Postby J68 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:24 pm

Would have to second this.
There's little to no reason why these would be in "Specials".
There's an air date, a dvd order, and an absolute order, the latter of the two would fit these "Specials" within them.

The same reason these should labelled correctly as actual episodes is the same reason why Episode 98 of Season 1 is also not a special.
viewtopic.php?t=34812

lhdlovebooh

Postby lhdlovebooh » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:14 pm

No, they didn't air in Japan.
It's a Japanese series aired first in Japan. Theses episodes didn't air, and so it's specials. Not so hard to understand.
For the episode 98 it's included in Season 1. It's even written in the Japanese text that I linked earlier (
全97話+未放送1話)

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby DarklightIndigo » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:30 am

Booh is correct per current policy.
If you want to persuade the administration differently, there's a forum for that.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

monster2control

Postby monster2control » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:59 pm

But you didn't even address my question. It's the same idea as when a Show like "The Office" is then re-made for the US. It has a different cast (Voice Actors). It has lots of similarities (The Animation is the same), it's produced and cut by a different company (Funimation Vs. FujiTB) so there are enough differences to warrant it being considered a divergent. The English dubbed version is not the exact same show that aired in Japan, as it never aired in Japan with English voice actors (At least not based on the argument that Booh made). So, technically, Booh is not correct.

lhdlovebooh

Postby lhdlovebooh » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:44 am

monster2control wrote:But you didn't even address my question. It's the same idea as when a Show like "The Office" is then re-made for the US. It has a different cast (Voice Actors). It has lots of similarities (The Animation is the same), it's produced and cut by a different company (Funimation Vs. FujiTB) so there are enough differences to warrant it being considered a divergent. The English dubbed version is not the exact same show that aired in Japan, as it never aired in Japan with English voice actors (At least not based on the argument that Booh made). So, technically, Booh is not correct.

The Office US isn't the same as The Office UK. The Office US took the idea from The Office UK but write their own story.
For Dragon Ball Kai, it's the same animation than Japan + some specials that never aired in Japan.
The only difference is the Voice Actors. TheTVDB doesn't create new series for every dubs.
I don't see anywhere differents cuts in the episodes between US and Japan. Just some episodes that never aired in Japan.