Lock RuPaul's Drag Race Season 5

Where rejected requests go to die.
Seriously though, we're open to discussion; but read the stickied thread first to avoid a premature termination of the conversation.
Forum rules
Rules | Acceptable Sources | Exceptions
If your request was denied or your listing was removed without explanation, now would be a good time to review these sections, as it likely ran afoul of them.

DO NOT CONTACT MODERATORS REGARDING POLICY ENFORCEMENT.
If you feel the application of a policy is unfair, please open a Policy Inquiry, with the understanding that administrators (red names) set the policies and moderators (green names) must enforce them within reasonable degrees of latitude.

DO NOT CITE WIKIPEDIA!

Due to the egregious nature of the vast majority of requests pertaining to The Bible and The Lost Room, they will immediately be moved here. Further rejection of the rules and volunteer efforts to remedy the situation will be met with thread and series locks, as well as forums bans as necessary.

ALL REQUESTS TO UNLOCK SERIES FOR TRANSLATIONS WILL BE MOVED HERE WITHOUT NOTICE!
You may propose translations for locked series by starting a new thread after clicking here.
qdaoao

Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:52 pm

The second season is officially considered Season 5 because it corresponds to Season 5 of the main show, and they didn't do an Untucked for seasons 2-4.

Season 5 keeps flip-flopping on here between being called season 2 and 5, and it should say 5.

https://www.thetvdb.com/series/rupauls- ... s-untucked
Equinox
Site Moderator

Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:40 am

It definitely shouldn't be Season 5, if it follows Season 1. Doesn't matter that it corresponds with Season 5 of RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars. We don't just skip season numbers; there are very few precedents for that.
qdaoao

Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:21 am

Well, it keeps flipping every couple of days.

I think you should reconsider this stance for shows that exist SOLELY as companion pieces to the mainline show. The official site shows season 5. Release groups are naming it season 5. Nobody in the world is going to watch an episode of untucked without watching the corresponding mainline episode, and you're just making it harder to do so by forcing seasons to increment by one.

The other inconsistency is that some shows use years as seasons, which don't always increment by one.

Tvdb obviously supports non incremental numbering. What's so bad about letting it be season 5, compared to the benefits?

Just seems arbitrarily rigid..
bkgabe

Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:59 am

I second the ask for reconsideration. When the producers of the show are advertising it as Season 5, and the entire scene is using season 5, it seems like the logical conclusion is that it would be dubbed "Season 5" globally.

This isn't like a regular series, it's quite literally the BTS for the current series. Precedent (or lack of it) aside, this seems highly illogical. Seasons 2-4 do not exist because the content was included in the show itself.
peeceejay

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:58 pm

Came to back this request. It was Season 5 just a few days ago, and we got 3 episodes we were missing. Now it's back to Season 2, and with episodes still airing, I don't expect I'll be getting those automatically.
kewpuh

Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:51 pm

Seconding, thirding, or whatevering this request. It's season 5 according to the scene. It's season 5 according to the literal network that releases the show. This constant flipping back and forth from season 2 to season 5 is causing nothing but headache. Please set it back to Season 5 like it should be.
captainplanent

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:07 pm

It's season 2. I thought it was season 5, but if you look at the VH1 url, you'll see the episode codes are 20x, while the episode codes for the All Stars main series are 50x.

All Stars: http://www.vh1.com/episodes/67tly8/rupa ... n-5-ep-502
All Stars Untucked: http://www.vh1.com/episodes/qptll5/rupa ... n-5-ep-202

Perhaps the episode names should be preceded with "Season 5?"
qdaoao

Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:26 pm

I would say that it's clear in the VH1 site that the episode name is Untucked - I'm in Love, and the Season is 5, despite the url having a 2 in it:

If not skipping numbers was so important, and having season number represent the production order, then there wouldn't be shows that used the year as their season number. But there are.

The pros of letting this be season 5 far outweigh the cons.
ElusiveZatchmo

Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:44 am

Has a final decision been made for this? I'm tired of renaming my files to retrieve metadata
Equinox
Site Moderator

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:32 am

Yes, the final decision is that we're sticking to consecutive season numbers. Meaning the current season of RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars: Untucked! will be listed as Season 2 on TheTVDB, despite scene releases and VH1's decision to call it Season 5 to align with the mainline series' season number.