Should Cosmos: Possible Worlds (2020) exist?

All completed requests go in here. This way we can clean our main forums, but still have this stuff show up in search.
Forum rules
PLEASE REFRAIN FROM REPLYING TO POSTS IN THIS SECTION DAYS/WEEKS/MONTHS AFTER THE FACT!
If you believe that you need to have a change fulfilled immediately, please start a new topic.

We do not actively check threads for replies as they are considered to be over and done with once they are moved here.
If you have a valid reason to reiterate an issue already covered in such a thread, please post a new topic in the appropriate area of the forum.
muttley0013

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:44 am

According to IMDb, it is its own series.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11170862/

From my reading on the official webpage on FOX, it should be season 3 of COSMOS, with "A Space Time Odyssey" being season 2 and the original with Carl Sagan being season 1.
https://www.fox.com/cosmos-possible-wor ... 02a03fc87/
NYSNDGUY

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:15 pm

muttley0013 wrote:
From my reading on the official webpage on FOX, it should be season 3 of COSMOS, with "A Space Time Odyssey" being season 2 and the original with Carl Sagan being season 1.
I was hoping to find a thread to support this being season 2 but, upon reading the above announcement on Fox's website and reviewing the actual New TVDB rules, Cosmos: Possible Worlds should definitely not be it's own series. Per the strict wording of the announcement, It is Season 3 of Cosmos(#74995), in which case Cosmos(2014)(#260586) should also be renumber as Season 2 of the same.

To prevent upheaval, I would suggest that the change in principle cast (Sagan to deGrasse Tyson) created Cosmos(2014) as a new series (e.g. 24 vs 24:Legacy), and that Cosmos: Possible Worlds then becomes Season 2 of that new series (e.g. Gilmore Girls).
Wehrmacht

Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:35 pm

Here's National Geographic's announcement of a "new season":

Following the award-winning Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey is a brand new season of Cosmos: Possible Worlds. It presents a triumphant voyage through humanity's past and present and maps a hopeful vision of our future. Join the team of Ann Druyan, Seth MacFarlane, Brannon Braga, Jason Clark, and World-renowned Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson as they take gives us an awesome might of the scientific perspective.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com.au/t ... le-worlds/

It airs on NatGeo before Fox.

So, it's just a question of whether it's season 2 or 3.
NYSNDGUY

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:20 pm

Wehrmacht wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:35 pm
Here's National Geographic's announcement of a "new season":

Following the award-winning Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey is a brand new season of Cosmos: Possible Worlds. It presents a triumphant voyage through humanity's past and present and maps a hopeful vision of our future. Join the team of Ann Druyan, Seth MacFarlane, Brannon Braga, Jason Clark, and World-renowned Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson as they take gives us an awesome might of the scientific perspective.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com.au/t ... le-worlds/

It airs on NatGeo before Fox.

So, it's just a question of whether it's season 2 or 3.
Your comment contributes nothing new to the conversation. It's irrelevant which network it airs on first, as it is still a co-production with the original network. Beyond the networks airing the series, it's the same production team. So we've clearly established it is at least Season 2 of Cosmos(2014).

The integration of clips from the original 1980 series does, however, support the Fox announcement's reference to is as the third season of that series.

So all that's left is for a Mod or Admin to make the call and merge appropriately.
Wehrmacht

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:39 pm

NYSNDGUY wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:20 pm
Your comment contributes nothing new to the conversation.
Who do you think you are?!

The subject was whether Possible Worlds should exist as a separate series.

No-one had posted NatGeo's view on the subject before, which is "new season, not standalone".

I was actually adding additional support for your own bloody argument!
Haulien

Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:07 am

NYSNDGUY wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:15 pm
muttley0013 wrote:
I was hoping to find a thread to support this being season 2 but, upon reading the above announcement on Fox's website and reviewing the actual New TVDB rules, Cosmos: Possible Worlds should definitely not be it's own series. Per the strict wording of the announcement, It is Season 3 of Cosmos(#74995), in which case Cosmos(2014)(#260586) should also be renumber as Season 2 of the same.

To prevent upheaval, I would suggest that the change in principle cast (Sagan to deGrasse Tyson) created Cosmos(2014) as a new series (e.g. 24 vs 24:Legacy), and that Cosmos: Possible Worlds then becomes Season 2 of that new series (e.g. Gilmore Girls).
The rules states this:
TheTVDBBible wrote: Continuations, Revivals, & Reboots

Everyone is rebooting IP these days, but it can sometimes be hard to understand if you should continue a show with a new season, years later, or start an entirely new entry. From a content perspective, if it's the same cast as the original (or mostly the same cast), we should consider it a continuation of the original show rather than a new, separate show.
Which would consider Cosmos: Possible Worlds as season 2 of Cosmos (2014)

However, there are cases such as Planet Earth and Planet Earth II which have a single entry. They have the same theme. Same presenter. Should they not also be a part of a single entry as Season 1 and 2, not as two separate entries? (the same goes for Blue Planet I and II). The fact that they're over a decade apart is irrelevant.
NYSNDGUY

Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:47 am

Haulien wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:07 am

However, there are cases such as Planet Earth and Planet Earth II which have a single entry. They have the same theme. Same presenter. Should they not also be a part of a single entry as Season 1 and 2, not as two separate entries? (the same goes for Blue Planet I and II). The fact that they're over a decade apart is irrelevant.

That's a good point. I think the difference in that case comes down to the way American and British networks treat a series (and the fact the Brits use "series" where we Yanks would say "season"). In the case of both Planet Earth and Blue Planet, BBC produced them as standalone limited-series. PE II and BP II, were then follow-up stand-alone series produced as a result of the positive reception of their original counterparts.

Conversely, Cosmos(2014) was produced with the intention of being a continuing series (and not just a single season), subject to network renewals. The delay in the shows second season renewal was less about the quality of the show, and more about Me-Too-era politics and perceptions.
etchings13

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:01 am

Was there ever a decision made on this? As of now both listings are still in TheTVDB:

https://thetvdb.com/series/cosmos-possi ... official/1
https://thetvdb.com/series/cosmos-a-spa ... official/2
clandestine8

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:27 pm

Looks like you deleted the wrong entry 'Cosmos: Possible Worlds (2020)' is a separate series not not season 2 - It is listed on Fox and National Geographic as different series and IMDB as well