Locking seasons

Discuss ongoing matters concerning the application of site policies, or the policies themselves, here.
Forum rules
This sub-forum is for the discussion of site policy and the handling thereof ONLY.
Please direct all change requests to the main forum.
hairball

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:13 pm

What's the deal with locking seasons? I've seen them locked but I'm starting to see some weird things - like a season being locked before it's even aired and yet the guy who locked it made a point to upload two posters before HE locked it down.. So, what? I'm not allowed to upload a poster for the season? He's the only one allowed? I've seen this same person take advantage of his moderator status before by deleting posters that he didn't like in favor of keeping his and then lock the season to keep the poster from being re-uploaded.

Is this considered acceptable?
Mistywing
Site Moderator

Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:09 pm

Just guessing here: seasons locked before they air might be due to previous controversies in other seasons with regards to episode number and ordering, so it is judged prudent for a stable database to have an order that will not be changed back and forth upon the release.

Poster deletion however can and will happen if they are miscategorized, such as wrong language selected on upload or if they are seasons designated posters placed in the main series page. The new site allows for the full size posters also in seasons so it should be taken advantage of.
I do it for those two reasons primarily when I see it, though I try to reupload them to the appropriate seasons or languages when applicable. We unfortunately cannot modify these attributes another way even as moderators. If the original authors want to contact me later to upload it under their name that would be fine by me as well.
Duplicate uploads are also deleted, for example someone reuploading the exact English poster in French. They'll also get deleted if they are noticeably stretched (scaled without proportion constraint) or pixelated.

Maybe you are seeing a combination of both scenarios?
The timeline of events doesn't seem to quite match what you describe but perhaps you are seeing an intention where there isn't one?
hairball

Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:09 pm

I get your point about the season being locked but then again, it DOES seem a bit odd that the moderator who locked it went and uploaded two season posters and then locked it. What if I don't like his posters? What if they don't match what I or someone else already has? it's seems a bit unfair that the moderator who locked the season has the ability to add season posters at will while leaving the rest of us in the cold.

As for the poster deletion, I had an instance where I was trying to add a season poster to a series where the other posters were (in my opinion) not up to par. Things like the season number and size of the show's logo were (again, in my opinion) either not large enough or placed incorrectly. As I was uploading them, the moderator was deleting them. It took my 3 or 4 times to figure out what was going on and only then because he locked the season to keep me from uploading my design.This all happened in the space of about 4 to 5 minutes.

One other thing I've noticed is that one of the programs I use pulls the first poster uploaded, without exception, by default. You can choose a different one but the default is ALWAYS the first uploaded. For one particular show, a season poster that was uploaded quite recently, was showing as the default. Every other season showed the first uploaded but this one showed the most recent. Interestingly, it was the exact same moderator who uploaded it. I'm not sure if it was just a fluke or not but it did seem a bit odd.

I'm not sure what you mean by "timeline of events" or how it couldn't match since I didn't provide any sort of timeline.
Mistywing
Site Moderator

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:55 pm

I simply meant that I didn't have enough details to establish whether or not what you thought was happening was indeed the case. In other words, perhaps the deletion and locking was more coincidental than intentional, from my original point of view anyways.
I was in fact trying to establish a gross order of the events you mentioned in my head and reconciling it with what I said to you in my comment as possible separate reasons, and it wasn't matching up well. It's this "timeline" that wasn't working well.

What you are now describing (4-5 minutes time interval) indeed does not seem to match with what I thought, though I can't give the reasons why this has happened to you (Unless I am the one who did this, but I do not recall locking seasons pre-air yet.)

If you still have your posters and where they should go, make a request for it and I'll check it out.
For the other matter, have you tried PMing this moderator?
hairball

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:01 pm

Sejha

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:37 am

This is clearly a problem for older series as well as there are seasons of shows that need fixing or repair that are locked and we can't update or repair the errors in them. Some have been wrong for over 6 years now so this is clearly an issue.
aussie_huddo

Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:25 pm

I have also noticed a lot of series and seasons being locked recently and then the episodes not being updated with descriptions and thumbs, even for some of the most popular shows on TV. I can't speak to why these have been locked, but it seems if they are going to be locked then the moderators will need to update them weekly while they are airing.

I am very interested in becoming a moderator on this site as I have been a frequent contributor for many years and would like to add to the site for all its users. I am particularly looking to add imdb id's for a lot of episodes in popular series that don't have them, as well as thumbs and descriptions and keep up to date locked series. I also notice there is a massive backlog of change requests that don't seem to get actioned and would really like to help out there too.

Please let me know as I love this site and only want to see it improve.

Cheers.