Lost again

Discuss ongoing matters concerning the application of site policies, or the policies themselves, here.
Forum rules
This sub-forum is for the discussion of site policy and the handling thereof ONLY.
Please direct all change requests to the main forum.
NeoCortex

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:00 am

dmc84 wrote: Just to be clear so i don't try and use logic on other shows in the future (like the good place): Its not about the standard of the TV Show but about the networks use of single or double time slots for that given week?
If we only went by the average length of the episode, shows like Twilight Zone would be a mess, since an entire season of episodes had a different episode length than the rest of the series. Blame whoever you want on the network side, but if it aired as an episode, it's generally considered one episode on here. And then you have a show like Mystery Science Theater that later aired 120 min episodes in 60 min time slots. It's only the first initial airing that matters when it comes to numbering the episodes.
dmc84

Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:08 pm

NeoCortex wrote:
dmc84 wrote: Just to be clear so i don't try and use logic on other shows in the future (like the good place): Its not about the standard of the TV Show but about the networks use of single or double time slots for that given week?
If we only went by the average length of the episode, shows like Twilight Zone would be a mess, since an entire season of episodes had a different episode length than the rest of the series. Blame whoever you want on the network side, but if it aired as an episode, it's generally considered one episode on here. And then you have a show like Mystery Science Theater that later aired 120 min episodes in 60 min time slots. It's only the first initial airing that matters when it comes to numbering the episodes.
  • The first season of The Twilight Zone aired Fridays at 10:00–10:30 pm (EST) on CBS from October 2, 1959 to July 1, 1960
    The second season of The Twilight Zone aired Fridays at 10:00–10:30 pm (EST) on CBS from September 30, 1960 to June 2, 1961.
    The third season of The Twilight Zone aired Fridays at 10:00–10:30 pm (EST) on CBS from September 15, 1961 to June 1, 1962.
    The fourth season of The Twilight Zone aired Thursdays at 9:00–10:00 pm on CBS from January 3 to May 23, 1963
    The fifth and final season of The Twilight Zone aired Fridays at 9:30–10:00 pm (EST) on CBS from September 27, 1963 to June 19, 1964
Are you refering to in season four they were given a earlier hour time slot and they then
Hundreds of people involved in the production of a show have to make them standardised eg 20 or 40min for example,
and they then made approx 40 min (or 50min maybe they had less ads back then) but its a standard.

So yes season 1-3 had 36,29,37 20-25min episodes, season 4 had 18 40-50min, and 5 had 36 20-25min episodes.
That is a logical way to do it, i would not argue that the 4th season should be all double episodes.

i don't think that the twilight zones 4th season being a longer time slot is remotely the same as lost where one episode (out of 120 approx) was twice as long as the rest and 40 mins through it said...'to be continued' and then it ran another 40 mins. I and every other site that categorises Lost (except theTVDB) took that to mean 2 episodes back to back, like i said no comparison to the twilight zone.

Not sure what your talking about with Mystery Science Theater (i've never seen it) So your saying it first aired as 60min then later showed 120min? so they cut stuff out of the show? or was it just 50% ads when it took a 120min slot?
NeoCortex

Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:49 pm

dmc84 wrote:
NeoCortex wrote:
dmc84 wrote: Not sure what your talking about with Mystery Science Theater (i've never seen it) So your saying it first aired as 60min then later showed 120min? so they cut stuff out of the show? or was it just 50% ads when it took a 120min slot?
It was normally a 120min timeslot and then was later syndicated (with some edits) to a 60 minute timeslot. Just because the show was later re-edited (such as a two-hour episode of Lost cut into two separate episode on the DVD release) doesn't mean it gets treated different after its initial airing.
dmc84

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:01 pm

NeoCortex wrote:
dmc84 wrote:
NeoCortex wrote:
It was normally a 120min timeslot and then was later syndicated (with some edits) to a 60 minute timeslot. Just because the show was later re-edited (such as a two-hour episode of Lost cut into two separate episode on the DVD release) doesn't mean it gets treated different after its initial airing.
Still not sure how this is anything like lost? So this show Mystery Science Theater aired as in a 2hr slot, later re-aired in 1hr slots so it was later syndicated as as 2 episodes over 2 dates?

Once again not remotely the same, if thats even what your saying.

We are arguing over what defines a double episode, like many series that theTVDB has in its database where a show airs 2 episodes back to back and it lists them as 2 episodes not 1, thats it, i'm saying this should be one of those situations.
I'm not talking about syndicated or DVD or netflix, i'm talking about when it aired in 2005 "I Believe" it was 2x 40 min episodes back to back... eg a double episode. On ABCs website they listed 'a single' episode of lost... now on the TV in that single episode at the 40 min (about) mark it said..."TO BE CONTINUED" as in don't change the channel cause we have a second episode of lost....
I used DVD, streaming, IMDB, and others just to point out those other sources because in the "Rules"(use that term loosely) they are the preferred sources after the original network website which removed lost.
NeoCortex

Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:34 am

dmc84 wrote: ...
I'm not talking about syndicated or DVD or netflix, ...
I used DVD, streaming, ...
It aired as one long episode. It doesn't matter how it was later broken down on DVD or Netflix. And IMDB is far from a reliable source on pretty much anything.
dmc84

Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:33 am

NeoCortex wrote:
dmc84 wrote: ...
I'm not talking about syndicated or DVD or netflix, ...
I used DVD, streaming, ...
It aired as one long episode. It doesn't matter how it was later broken down on DVD or Netflix. And IMDB is far from a reliable source on pretty much anything.
Don't edit my quote to frame an irrelevant point, its dishonest.
I used DVD, streaming, IMDB, and others just to point out those other sources because in the "Rules"(use that term loosely) they are the preferred sources after the original network website which removed lost.
1. It should matter how its broken down later on DVD and Netflix... but NOT my point.
2. I never said IMDB was a reliable source... theTVDB admin did.viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9271
3. It was 2x episodes back to back as indicated by the 'to be continued' between the episodes.

Please @NeoCortex don't keep talking about imdb, if you want to continue the discussion about why its 1 episode not 2 back to back like almost every other series on here has then answer point 3.
Imzadi
Site Moderator

Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:50 am

There is no point to this discussion. This was already decided and will not be changed. Which was confirmed by an admin.