Watership Down (2018) - 2 or 4 episodes?

Coordinate actions for unlocked series here.
Andori

Watership Down (2018) - 2 or 4 episodes?

Postby Andori » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:17 pm

The BBC, who I believe are the original broadcaster list only 2 episodes here, but then they do say "Two-Part Version". They list it as:
1. The Journey and the Raid
2. The Escape and the Siege

ATM, this site lists 4 episodes under Season 1:
1. The Journey
2. The Raid
3. The Escape
4. The Siege

I presume the 4 episodes come from Netflix, who will be making it available internationally and who were involved in the production.

So should it be listed on here as 2 or 4 episodes?

Andori

Re: Watership Down (2018) - 2 or 4 episodes?

Postby Andori » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:28 pm

To make it even more confusing, on iPlayer they list what was first aired ("The Journey and the Raid") as 2x 50 min episodes listed as:
Series 1: Episode 1 Chapter 1
Series 1: Episode 1 Chapter 2

Then after the rest airs tomorrow (23rd Dec), I'm guessing they will be listed as:
Series 1: Episode 2 Chapter 1
Series 1: Episode 2 Chapter 2

Andori

Postby Andori » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:38 pm

But then again, iPlayer also has Two-Part Version: 1. The Journey and the Raid :?

kwirkie

Postby kwirkie » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:11 am

I'm also confused by this :?

As BBC are original (first at least) broadcaster and chose to broadcast them in two episodes, I think it should be two episodes. Also, even the 4 part version is labelled a 2 episodes on iPlayer.

I believe Netflix release this today (day after BBC) as well, looks like as four part/episode version.

Suggest mods may want to make a decision and lock the series before it gets multiple conflicting edits.

surfury

Postby surfury » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:48 pm

Surely original broadcaster wins out even it was a joint prodruction ? We have had this before with The Fall which was whilst a mainly BBC production, was a joint production with RTE who showed it first and therefore they had precedence over BBC. The Beeb also cut out the credits of Part 1.

surfury

Postby surfury » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:15 pm

The listing on BBC TV schedule web site it reads as follows:
Saturday
22nd December 2018
19:00 to 20:40

Watership Down
--
Two-Part Version: 1. The Journey and the Raid
A gang of rabbits embark on an epic adventure in search of a new home.

99 mins

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/guide/bbcone/20181222
------------------------------------
Sunday
23rd December 2018
19:20 to 21:00

Watership Down
--
Two-Part Version: 2. The Escape and the Siege
It becomes Clear that General Woundwort will not part with his captives without a fight.

99 mins

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/guide/bbcone/20181223

There was a clear break between each "episode" and the next part had a title page as well. However the fact that they are calling it Two-Part Version (their words, not mine) still leads me to believe that this is how it should be shown, as a 2 part series, much the same way that that Spanish Netflix program (sorry forgotten its name) was rejected as it had been shown initially on another network with different length episodes and they took precedence, rather than the "more episode" cut that Netflix broadcast.

Andori

Postby Andori » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:09 am

I think I would tend to err on the side of it being a 4 part story because:
1. They refer to the broadcast version as a "Two-Part Version" meaning that would normally be less or more parts.
2. Halfway through the "Two-Part Versions" there are "End of Part One" and "End of Part Three" indicating that there are actually 4 parts.
3. The "Two-Part Version" episode titles are "1. The Journey and the Raid" and "The Escape and the Siege" which would indicate 4 parts combined into 2.
4. If you use the search function on iPlayer (rather than going from a broadcast listing), it comes up with 4 episodes, but they are called "Series 1: Episode 1 Chapter 1", "Series 1: Episode 1 Chapter 2", "Series 1: Episode 2 Chapter 1" and "Series 1: Episode 2 Chapter 2".

Ideally we could do with an official ruling on this.

surfury

Postby surfury » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:29 pm

I know the mods will have to have final say on this and I do agree with you up to a point. I think it's the principle that's at stake here. As it says on Sources Update
The official listing for a series in its country of origin. Unless the listing is a god awful mess or conflicts with an existing site rule such as splitting of multipart episodes in animated series or aired ordering actually differs, the official listing will be considered gospel. No matter what the scene thinks.

Surely their listing on their own schedule takes priority here as the BBC iPlayer is only a catch-up source in this instance, nothing more.

There were no end credits of either first part, and after the "END OF PART ONE/THREE" it was a mere 3 to 4 seconds before the next Part started. It is obviously designed so that it can be split up and modified end credits added, not to say placement of adverts when sold to another broadcaster to bring it up from 50 min episodes to fill an hour slot.

asjmcguire

Postby asjmcguire » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:21 pm

My 2 cents here -
The BBC Broadcast both 2 part episodes over Christmas. But on iPlayer there are 4 episodes.
It's probably worthwhile considering which will be the largest audience affected by an incorrect number of episodes listed, and arguably - if Netflix has the worldwide distribution deal of Watership Down, then the largest audience will be the Netflix viewers? Especially considering in 18 days - it will vanish from iPlayer - and given the incredibly bad reception of it on Twitter, i doubt it will appear on the BBC again.

surfury

Postby surfury » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:43 pm

The Spanish Series I was referring to in my earlier post was of course "Money Heist (La Casa de papel)", another series which was done with Netlix. I taken your point about it remaining on Netflix after it's off iPlayer, however it was shown on the BBC first and so therefore under the 'rules' it should be shown as only 2 Episodes albeit with 2 parts each. I would also ignore the Twitterati as I thought it was quite good, and certainly a hell of a lot better than the cartoon film back in 1978 (which I remember vividly).