Fixing Absolute Numbering for Dragon Ball Z Abridged

Coordinate actions for unlocked series here.
fryfrog

Fixing Absolute Numbering for Dragon Ball Z Abridged

Postby fryfrog » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:36 pm

Hi,

What is the right way to do "Aired Episode Number" and "Absolute Number" for Dragon Ball Z Abridged? Episode 10 is 3 parts. Is this S01E10, E11 and E12? I think yes. But what about absolute number? It was 10 for all 3 episodes, I "fixed" it to 10, 11 and 12. I think this is right too.

Episode 30 has the same problem. This is S02E20, E21 and E22. But for absolute, all 3 were 30. I "fixed" this to 30, 31 and 32. I think that is right also.

So of course I also fixed all the absolute numbering in this manner for the whole show.

So if the above is right, everything is fine. If it isn't, then my edits should be reverted.

NyNe

Re: Fixing Absolute Numbering for Dragon Ball Z Abridged

Postby NyNe » Wed May 02, 2018 8:22 am

I'm not sure what the policy is on this, but my opinion is that the officially released absolute number (visible in the episode's thumbnail) should be used, and if possible in the case of a multi-part episode something like 10.1 and 10.2 should be used.

Mistywing

Postby Mistywing » Wed May 02, 2018 10:47 am

Absolute numbering does not support decimals. Only DVD Order supports decimals and can be used for joining two parts together in the apps that scrape DVD Order and support it to be used that way.

In this case I'd guess it would be Absolute 10, 11, 12, 13 etc and DVD 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 11.

There is also a case to be made against changes to long standing data when it comes to episode ordering... but I don't know how far you'd go with what appears to be a clear misuse of Absolute Ordering. Absolute is supposed to count up from 1 until the end of a series, not necessarily standing still for a few episodes somewhere.

RyanOver9000

Postby RyanOver9000 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:25 am

I've fixed the episode number on Season 3 Episode 30,31,32 again, but someone keeps changing them to 40-42 and included the cell games shorts within the season. These should be specials and are not a part of the normal episode lineup. Can a moderator move these out of the season? This is causing a lot of issues with the metadata pulls.

NyNe

Postby NyNe » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:34 am

I should have replied sooner to Mistywing re:long standing data
While I agree that long standing data may not be ideal to change, I also think one of the rules posted somewhere with regards to the handling of information is that the most official source is always considered correct. In this case I believe the most official source would be the episode numbering given to the episodes by the people releasing the episodes (however right or wrong they may be). Also it should be considered that the source of the material being released (Team Four Star) has a tendency to take long breaks in between episode releases, and they also often release out-of-band special episodes like RyanOver9000 mentioned that are not part of the episode numbering that they officially release.

It is unfortunate that absolute numbering does not support decimal places, and that's understandable, and I really don't think there's a decent way around that aside from having the absolute numbering not match the material's given episode number due to the official source releasing two-part episodes that they deem as one episode number. My (and I'm sure many other people's) OCD be damned!