Is there a ban on adding series that are still in production and have not yet aired?

Coordinate actions for unlocked series here.
SoWhy

Is there a ban on adding series that are still in production and have not yet aired?

Postby SoWhy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:32 am

Hi there,

I'm a newb on this site, so bear with me:

I added an entry for the TV series "Good Omens" that is currently in production (see the sources at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Omens_(TV_series) for details) and scheduled for release next year. I checked the rules and found nothing that forbade adding a series currently in production, so I added all the details I had, including all the actors confirmed to star in it. However, when I came back today, the series' entry has been deleted.

Before bothering the mod who did it with my questions, I thought maybe someone here can tell me whether I violated some kind of rule I didn't find in the rules or the wiki.

TIA
SoWhy

Imzadi
Site Moderator

Re: Is there a ban on adding series that are still in production and have not yet aired?

Postby Imzadi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:51 am

Please do not add a series unless you have actual information to add. There is neither official fanart, a start date or even episode titles. You already added cast pictures not in character and a placeholder empty episode. Series anouncements change all the time, they get delayed, canceled, actors get replaced or titles change.

SoWhy

Re: Is there a ban on adding series that are still in production and have not yet aired?

Postby SoWhy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:51 pm

Okay, that's fine. I mean, there are quite a lot of sources and it's highly unlikely the BBC will cancel the series but I accept it. That said, it would be nice if there was some kind of guideline telling people this before they invest the time and energy.

Coco
Site Admin

Postby Coco » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:01 pm

There are rules that forbid it already. We don't allow place holders, it's never OK to add blank episodes. Actor images are also suppose to be in character. If you have actual information you can add it but we never want junk information in the DB.
Please don't PM me. Post in the forums instead unless there is a very good reason for a PM or I won't respond.

Mistywing

Postby Mistywing » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:12 pm

Coco wrote:There are rules that forbid it already.
No offense but no there isn't.
There is no explicit rule against adding series in production or with no specified air date.
It's not on this page, the one that most will see.
It's not on the wiki on the relevant page.
It's not in this thread about valid sources of information.
It's not in this thread about the rules of the site and the forum.

I've had this discussion before and the issue of it not being there is still present. Skip the dancing around version two of the site if you will for five minutes and add it to the most important page at least.

The only thing there is is a very grey area of what actually is a valid source of information. A press release of a new series being in production can or can not be a valid source of information depending on the perspective, and the proof of that is in the loose application of this ban on series with no definite air date by the moderation team. Some are let through and others are not.

Fix this problem and you save users and moderators time and effort.

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby DarklightIndigo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:39 am

This is a lot simpler than you think, Misty.

While I'm personally loathe to remove user-contributed art by nuking a series, I have no issues dumping it to PhotoBucket and yanking the listing once alerted to its presence. I doubt anyone on staff goes looking for these issues without prior notice.

That said, I've been in favour of a formal rule for a while now, God only knows why there isn't one yet.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

Coco
Site Admin

Postby Coco » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:21 am

You added a bunch of information against site rules. Actor images that aren't in character, episodes with no information. It got deleted. Adding a series still in production is allowed but you need real information. We have no rule about series in production because it's not needed. If you have real information and don't have to upload a bunch of place holders it's allowed. What you added was a bunch of junk that is specifically not allowed.
Please don't PM me. Post in the forums instead unless there is a very good reason for a PM or I won't respond.

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby DarklightIndigo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:22 am

If it weren't needed, this thread wouldn't have began. :P

Personally, I agree this is a bit of a farcical discussion to even have, but it's probably best to draw the line with this thread as the reference point that adding empty or falsified data isn't acceptable - if only as a clarification of existing policies, particularly those not 100% codified.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

Mistywing

Postby Mistywing » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:24 pm

If it's "farcical," tell Imzadi to stop deleting series announced as in production but with no completely defined air date.

I'm not talking about adding bad data here, I'm talking about adding valid but incomplete data.

I have no idea what this user here added, but I have an idea of what sp1ti and I added and it wasn't placeholder or fake data. All that was missing was a day for the air date. That's all that was missing.

And that's not in the rules, period. Put it in the rules.

Imzadi
Site Moderator

Postby Imzadi » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:35 pm

As you like to point fingers let me remind you, that those entry didn't have air dates, nor episode titles. You had nothing other than a title and an announcement.