The Golden Girls

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Re: The Golden Girls

Postby DarklightIndigo » Thu May 12, 2016 8:00 pm

Golden Palace was merged per the sequels policy.
Not sure why it didn't garner its own series entry, but it was effectively S08 of Golden Girls.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

orangeprincess

Postby orangeprincess » Thu May 12, 2016 10:58 pm

I nosed into this thread out of interest because I remember Golden Girls and Golden Palace very well. I re-read through some of the old threads here about this issue and I'm rather surprised to see how this was handled previously. Golden Place was a spin-off of Golden Girls. Tons and tons of reliable and official sources were shown to prove that. One person's judgment that the shows seem to transition nicely together does not override reality. Most spin-offs do have some kind of logical transition from the original series. When every single source in existence calls it a spin-off, it's a spin-off, not a sequel. I've seen how people get treated when they say things like this, and I'm sure I'll wind up on some blacklist and get told to get my head out of my ass, but I'd ask the powers that be to take a second look at this. Thanks.

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby DarklightIndigo » Thu May 12, 2016 11:18 pm

It probably does deserve a second look, though my understanding is that NBC considered it a direct sequel at the time, which would necessarily invalidate the opinions of any other contributors.

Of course, I'm open to the possibility that that was taken out-of-context, as well.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

orangeprincess

Postby orangeprincess » Thu May 12, 2016 11:32 pm

Golden Palace aired on CBS. While in a sense it was a continuation of Golden Girls (NBC), every spin-off is some sort of continuation of the lives of one or more of the characters from the original series. Given both series aired before the days of the internet, there are no official sources to refer to. All that can be considered are the enormous amounts of sources that call it a spin-off. I don't even know what to offer beyond what was offered 4 years ago. It was a new network, new characters, new setting, new title, new premise, and a few of the same old characters - that's pretty much the definition of a spin-off. :)

shaav

Postby shaav » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:23 pm

I would support separating Golden Girls and Golden Palace; while they share several characters, Golden Palace is a completely different show that most Golden Girls fans have likely never even heard of, done by a different network (CBS not NBC). I ended up here because merging them is extremely confusing.

Jdtown

Postby Jdtown » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:22 pm

Darklightindigo, can you seperate the two shows? It says I havent completed the Golden Girls on my app even though I have. I cannot watch The Golden Palace anywhere because lots of the episodes are taken down online.

torrentmanic

Postby torrentmanic » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:51 pm

The Golden Palace is currently listed as a separate show.
Seeing as The Golden Palace is also still listed as season 8 of The Golden Girls I suppose one of the listings should be deleted.

The Golden Palace: http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=329430&lid=7
The Golden Girls -> The Golden Palace: http://thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid ... 6443&lid=7

I support having The Golden Palace as a separate show, in accordance with Shaav's argumentation.