Doctor Who Story Arc Numbering?

ndjamena

Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:25 am

One thing I've noticed is that you've split The Trial of a Time Lord into its component stories. By doing so you've already altered the naming structure towards differentiating story arcs.

I'm going to keep mine as:

Doctor Who - 01x01 - An Unearthly Child (1)
Doctor Who - 01x02 - An Unearthly Child (2) - The Cave of Skulls
Doctor Who - 01x03 - An Unearthly Child (3) - The Forest of Fear
Doctor Who - 01x04 - An Unearthly Child (4) - The Firemaker

because it makes finding things far easier, I doubt there are many people who managed to memorise all the individual episode names in the first three seasons, I think the story arc names are far more recognisable to most people who know Doctor Who and yet at the moment they're left out completely from the first three seasons in the database. I'm not sure TheTVDB should follow my naming convention, but it is an option and I think it would be a good idea for "the new site" to allow some way of applying the story arc names to the individual episodes.
manekineko
Goddess of Documentaries

Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:16 am

Guys, the Story arc names are unofficial or retconned. The original production only used capital letters and individual episode names. Story arc names came into play after the production switched to that towards the end of season 3.
This was discussed in length here years before.

Edited to add: The Trial of a Time Lord was also broadcast in its component stories without the season-long arc title.
"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views."
-- Doctor Who, The Face of Evil
ndjamena

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:37 pm

manekineko wrote: Edited to add: The Trial of a Time Lord was also broadcast in its component stories without the season-long arc title.
Are you saying the title cards of "The Trial of a Time Lord" were altered sometime after broadcast to all say "The Trial of a Time Lord" 1-12?

I know the individual stories had their own names in their own scripts, but that's meaningless.
ndjamena

Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:50 am

OK, I"m calling BS on that. There are continuity announcements on the DVD, plus there are contemporary guest spots on other programs and none of them give the slightest hint the those stories are anything but "The Trial of a Time Lord" parts one to twelve.

"In this adventure, they fight robots, then they go somewhere else and meet the slug guy."

FFS they've got an original screen shot from a BBC bulletin page that shows the episodes as being "The Trial of a Time Lord".

Where's the evidence that they're actually "supposed" to be separate stories? If you believe what's actually said in the extras (which isn't a given) Trial of a Time Lord was supposed to be an attempt at modernizing Doctor Who by creating season long story arcs (much like the current series). An attempt that they completely screwed up by being indentured to habits of the past.

And it's not unusual for stories, or even parts of stories, to have working titles. If it's part of the production cycle then it has no meaning once broadcast, other than as trivia.
ndjamena

Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:03 am

One the Fourteen then.

As far as I can tell, even the presidents of the Doctor Who fan clubs at the time had no idea what each of the individual components were called.
manekineko
Goddess of Documentaries

Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:06 am

"The memory cheats" (John Nathan-Turner)
ndjamena, I stand corrected. The Trial of a Time Lord was of course originally broadcast under that name. For some weird reason I got it mixed up with the Key to Time arc.
"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views."
-- Doctor Who, The Face of Evil