Sources Update - December, 2015

Discussion regarding locked series.
Read the instructions at the top of the forum before making a post!
Forum rules
All requests to modify unlocked entries - with the exception of series titles - will immediately be marked Resolved.

Please read our rules and our series-specific information before posting.
Please link to the series/episode page and your sources.
Wikipedia is a good starting point for searches, but it WILL NOT be considered a valid reason for requesting a change.

In addition the following items are not acceptable reasoning for a request: scene/torrent/fansub releases, sickbeard/couch potato/etc, re-airings in another country (or new channel), and once again wikipedia.

Note: Requests to unlock a series will be denied as all series locks are in place for a good reason. Please indicate which changes you are needing to see made and cite valid sources as mentioned above. Thank you
hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Sources Update - December, 2015

Postby hikaricore » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:21 am

Every once in awhile things need to be reviewed and updated to better suit the times. What worked for the site several years ago clearly no longer works the same way today so the admins, other mods, and myself have agreed it was probably time to evaluate our rules involving sources. The agreement was unanimous that we need to prioritize certain sources over others and in rare cases allow non-standard sources to be used when no others exist. From today onward sources will be prioritized as follows:

Preferred Sources
Official Websites* - The official listing for a series in its country of origin. Unless the listing is a god awful mess or conflicts with an existing site rule such as splitting of multipart episodes in animated series or aired ordering actually differs, the official listing will be considered gospel. No matter what the scene thinks.
TvRage.com - Aside from a few oddball series, in my personal experience TvRage has over the years been a pristine and trusted source of information. (TVRage has resurfaced in the past month, but may be outdated or incorrect. Please do a sanity check before citing this source.)
TvGuide.com - TvGuide's entire business depends on accurate television listings and foreign listings aside they're usually dead on.
AnimeNewsNetwork.com - When it comes to anime info ANN is generally your best bet, the listings are almost always complete and damn accurate even for the most obscure or old titles.
MyAnimeList.net - Second only to ANN, MAL features some of the most up-to-date and accurate anime info.
BFI.org.uk - British Film Institute database is particular good for British/UK shows. There is little addition of "current" shows but the archive is usually good.

Acceptable Sources
Tv.com - While generally accurate to a degree tv.com is often missing required details such as airdates to backup their listings which limits reliability. Good for comparison to other listings and often to fill in blanks, but a preferred source it is not.
Imdb.com - A great database for movie info, but often lackluster when it comes to television series. Some of you may have seen me mention that I'd rather not use it as a main source for info and this is for good reasons. Try and find a better source for info if possible.
Anidb.net - An acceptable but often incomplete anime source. Series often lack season info and listings include non-episodes such as OP, ED, dvd extras, etc. A decent supplementary source for episode titles or release dates, but not much else.

Last Resort (Do NOT abuse this)
Fan Sites - Alright I'm going to do my best to make this very very clear. In rare cases if you can show us that either no other approved source exists or that said sources are completely inaccurate or incomplete we will consider the use of fan sites for listings. In these cases you MUST link us to any incomplete/inaccurate trusted sources as well as the fan site source you intend to have us review along with any further information you have on the topic. At this point the decision will require the complete agreement of atleast 2 moderators or 1 administrator. And said decision will be final.
Wikis/Wikipedia - Generally the same requirements as with the above mentioned fan sites, however I want to stress this further. This is to be an absolutely last resort request. DO NOT link us to wikipedia or any other wiki if a trusted and seemingly valid source exists. In fact consider wikis to be even a rank below Fan Sites. I'm also going to go a step further and say that requests that link to a wiki when other sources exist or list wikipedia as well as other sources will simply be locked and ignored. If you aren't going to bother reading the rules we're not going to bother reading your threads. It's that simple.

Update: 07/12/2015
It should (but obviously doesn't...) go without saying that an online VOD storefront such as Amazon, iTunes, Hulu, Netflix, Playstation Store, etc ARE not a valid source for series info. This is unless of course they actually are the "network" of origin, which is becoming more common but does not replace the original airing network/country rules previously established. Thank you.

*Update: 02/09/2016
I feel that we need to clearly explain something that should be obvious but clearly isn't. If we have a listing that is based on an official site, and that site becomes defunct, we will not simply change said listing based on the ignorant insistence of members who have not seen said website. This nonsense is called revisionism, and it won't be tolerated here. Classic series will continue to be listed as they were, when these sites were available. Thank you **
Last edited by hikaricore on Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Re: Sources Update - March, 2012

Postby hikaricore » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:54 pm

I've gotten a lot of negative feedback in cases where we side with the official listing for a series in my time here and wanted to share something with you all. Recently there was a dispute over the listing for Family Guy due to the way Fox was presenting the show on their website. Believe it or not it took one email and less than 6 hours for me to contact them on a whim. So please before you go complaining that reaching a network is impossible and we should just change a listing because you say so, give it a shot. We're of course not going to change it just because you say so but I think you get my point here.

Ask Fox <[email protected]> 1:58 PM (1 hour ago)
to me

FYI: Although originally listed as an hour event for the first airing (FG-1004A/B) to ensure viewers who DVR and have Season Passes get the entire hour, the half-hour episode YUG YLIMAF (FG-1004) is separate from the half-hour clip special 200 EPISODES LATER (SP-1340) - and this special is not an episode of Family Guy but rather a special

Thanks for pointing this out - we have forwarded to the website to update their listing info - it might take awhile to update

ASKFOX

>From: hikaricore [mailto:*************]
>Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:59 AM
>To: Ask Fox
>Subject: Family Guy - Season 11 episode 5 listing error.

>It seems there is an error in your official listing for season 11 episode 5 of family guy:
>http://www.fox.com/familyguy/recaps/volume-11/episode-5 The current listing shows
>that episode 5 is 200 Episodes Later, a behind the scenes special and not an actual animated
>episode of the series. I work as a moderator for a tv listing website and our motto is that
>the official listing is correct however at this point I have to disagree. Is there any way
>this could be corrected or could we get a clarification if this is intended so that we may
>adjust our listing accordingly? Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
>
>--Aaron :: TheTVDb

DarklightIndigo
Leo of the East Bay

Postby DarklightIndigo » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:04 pm

I would append this to say that, until Discovery / History / NatGeo get their collective shit together, using them as primary sources for as much as a duck's quack's echo is entirely asinine.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:38 pm

I have updated the sources topic with a note regarding VOD services.

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Re: Sources Update - December, 2015

Postby hikaricore » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:39 am

The title of this thread has been updated and TVRage has been noted as dead.
Evidently when we don't change a thread title people only read that part of it. :p

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:03 pm

Added notation on TVRage source, and revisionism regarding official source sites.

DarklightIndigo
Leo of the East Bay

Postby DarklightIndigo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:50 am

This is my formal statement that I will, under no circumstances, honour requests to change Discovery/Scripps series to continually match their latest network sites until such a time as they institute a coherent methodology for historical records. I highly encourage other staff to do the same for what should by now be obvious reasons. Use TVguide, Rage, whatever, but shitcan the networks.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.