Specials: The Definitive Guide (09/12/2011)

Discussion regarding locked series.
Read the instructions at the top of the forum before making a post!
Forum rules
All requests to modify unlocked entries - with the exception of series titles - will immediately be marked Resolved.

Please read our rules and our series-specific information before posting.
Specials Guidelines are available here.
Please link to the series/episode page and your sources.
Wikipedia is a good starting point for searches, but it WILL NOT be considered a valid reason for requesting a change.

In addition the following items are not acceptable reasoning for a request: scene/torrent/fansub releases, sickbeard/couch potato/etc, re-airings in another country (or new channel), and once again wikipedia.

Note: Requests to unlock a series will be denied as all series locks are in place for a good reason. Please indicate which changes you are needing to see made and cite valid sources as mentioned above. Thank you
hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Re: Specials: The Definitive Guide (09/12/2011)

Postby hikaricore » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:36 pm

No. Trailers are not permitted.

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby DarklightIndigo » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:10 pm

Just noticed this was never really discussed, and is causing some friction:

Do we count as Specials anything that airs during the normal season strictly because of the name?
How about out-of-season?
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:56 pm

We don't consider something to be a special just because it has the word special in it. A lot of times these will end up being listed as regular episodes in the show's official season guide. Most of the time however if something airs out of season it will end up being a special, again unless the official episode listing says otherwise. Sorry for the super late reply. :)

marina7

Postby marina7 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:04 pm

It is unfortunate that some of the "specials" on Blu Ray cannot be added (or can they?). For instance: The Big Bang Theory has an extra snippit (30 minutes) called Electromagnetism, which reviews the pairing relationships on the show.

Yes? No?

Thanks.

polargeek
The Cat's Ass

Postby polargeek » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:18 pm

marina7 wrote:It is unfortunate that some of the "specials" on Blu Ray cannot be added (or can they?). For instance: The Big Bang Theory has an extra snippit (30 minutes) called Electromagnetism, which reviews the pairing relationships on the show.

Yes? No?

Thanks.

That would be no. If it didn't air or stream from an official website it doesn't belong
All PM's asking for exceptions, rule changes, series unlocks et al will be ignored.

svaraej

Postby svaraej » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:07 pm

hikaricore wrote:We don't consider something to be a special just because it has the word special in it. A lot of times these will end up being listed as regular episodes in the show's official season guide. Most of the time however if something airs out of season it will end up being a special, again unless the official episode listing says otherwise. Sorry for the super late reply. :)

I suggest that this information should be included in the first post of this thread. There's probably a lot of people (including myself) who only read the "definitive guide" before making a change request.

Best regards,
svaraej

Pfmk2

Postby Pfmk2 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:57 pm

Newish to the site/forums. Since the change over to kodi/xmbc a few years ago the site info has been pretty good. It did save alot of time versus the previous methods I used to sort new stuff.
Lately though, the site information has been causing alot of editing and reviewing videos to match content with the data/specials. Your info is a great starting point for specials, but it really doesn't go far enough to define a special. Shortly after switching to torrents, I found alot of shows and began getting them on a regular basis. The problem is that some people that enter the info and lock the show, denote a regular episode as a special, just because it aired on.. lets say New Years Eve. A perfect example of this is "The Graham Norton Show" https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=329083&lid=7. It takes a little bit-o-time to go to the other sources that simply lists the episodes as episodes. Even if the episode was a "New Years Special" it would be a regular episode. Maybe it would be a special if it had an entirely special content and that week had included a regular sit and talk episode. Then there are the cases that a "special" might be a special, but it is aired in the normal episode time slot.

Reading some of the other threads refering to DVD extra's and specials not being included. Change is sometimes neccessary and good thing. If the Site is going to remain a media information source for the open source community, it should be adjusting to the times. The media availabilty is not as static as it used to be and including DVD/BR specials is something to be considered. Many companies and sites have missed oppurtunities because the mindset of resisting adaptation was the norm. Not including them is really leaving the door open for some other site to step up and offer the capacity within their data..

ttringle

Postby ttringle » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:27 pm

Why is there a religious war against DVD and Bluray special features? At some point DVD and Bluray will be even more niche then they are right now. And not including them seems short-sighted. It's clear by the MANY requests for this feature that the user base as a whole would appreciate this feature. As storage space gets cheaper and cheaper more and more of us are including all of the TV shows we love AND their special features. But since we have to manually enter everything we forego this. With TVDB support I wouldn't feel bad putting in the time to create those entries because then I know that it would be pulled from the database if ever I needed it again. Surely Copyright has nothing to do with this as you are not hosting files just descriptors of files others have for the most part legally obtained. This has been going on for a decade surely someone there can understand or at least explain.

Thanks.

ttringle

Postby ttringle » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:38 pm

Hi there,

Just wanted to ask then, why not allow a key group of people to manage the entries of shows they love. While also creating a reasonable set of rules. Those future contributors could then follow. For example, limiting the specials to the DVD and Bluray Categories would automatically solve the large number thing etc. I have a feeling had you started this years ago you would have a very organized system by now for specials.

I would be more than willing as an owner of Star Trek TOS and TNG (Blu-ray) to help create a system for naming and the basic rules for what constitutes a special that should be included. Hell, I would buy Voyager and Enterprise to add the special features as well for completion sake.
If not it's not really an insurmountable problem but I think people would be willing to follow some guidelines rather than not have the ease of use for specials.