Cleanup Louis Theroux Series

Request & discuss changes to series.
Read the instructions at the top of the forum before making a post!
Forum rules
This forum is now read-only. Support for TheTVDB.com is now available at https://support.thetvdb.com/ We also have a Knowledgebase which includes site rules and tips at https://support.thetvdb.com/kb/
ladybananas

Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:21 am

Awesome. If it helps at all, I have NFOs for most of the series as it was previously.
rutski

Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:57 pm

Is there any update on this?

The listings are a mess, a sizeable chunk of episodes missing and a season order that doesn't quite make sense - season 2 predates season 1 episodes by 8 years?
It looks like the current listing has mashed When Louis Met... with multi part Louis Theroux Documentaries in seasons created out of multi part episodes and omitted all individual episodes.

I thought "When Louis Met..." should be its own show, he presents it the same way but the titles refer to the show as "When Louis Met..." and the subject is spending time with eccentric public figures. The Louis Theroux documentaries are more focused on the eccentricities of people who aren't public figures and the titles show his name and the title of the episode.

I know there is a policy that episodes of a documentary with the same subject can form their own season but when that causes multiple seasons to run concurrently that can't be right surely?

I've looked at the listings on the BBC website but it is also a mess and we would probably be better off creating a list of known episodes rather than use their incomplete list. With that in mind I have reached out to the BBC for some clarification of what the episode/season order should be and asked about the episodes that are missing from their own listings (not going to hold my breath though).

Given the extent of the change to this show perhaps it would have been better to have had this posted to the Recurring Discussions for an aggressive cleanup rather than leave the show in limbo?
orrorri

Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:24 pm

Morning,

I created a ticket on the new support.thetvdb.com, and provided the list of the episodes in the order they were before the changes to the season, in case they wanted to change it back to its previous list order. No episodes were removed from thetvdb listings, but a few items listed in specials were moved to "unassigned" (the TV Nation Clips which are from a different show and "Shorts").

As of the most recent feedback in the support ticket I submitted I was just given "As mentioned, we are still looking at this issue" which was on 3 sept.
ladybananas

Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:51 am

Yeah it's quite the mess. When Louis Met has always been it's own separate season, and the rest of them are completely out of order.

I have the full NFOs available for all episodes - with airdates, descriptions etc, for all the original listings. If these can be useful, let me know where I can upload them?
MaGNeTiX

Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:05 am

I've come here as the changes have completely screwed up my Plex metadata for this series.

Why has When Louis Met... been brought into Season 1 when it's a seperate entity? You state 'There is 1 episode ("The Weird World of Louis Theroux") that I cannot find anywhere on the BBC'. It exists, I have it. So why would you bring in the rest and not this if it were to come under the documentaries (it shouldn't btw).

Why have the multi-part documentaries been split into 'seasons' but the individual ones remain under Specials? Louis' documentaries are, in and of themselves, all one-off 'specials', even if multi-part.

Admins, please revert this mess and lock the series.
rutski

Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:48 am

I think the two separate shows have been merged because the BBC merged them:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05qzm ... odes/guide

The BBC site is a mess and inconsistent but there isn't much we can do about that.

The reason the special can't be found on the BBC site was that it was produced by the BBC but broadcast on UK Horizons in April 2002 (the version available online has the UK Horizons ident and in the credits).
The episode itself is available for anyone to watch with a quick Google search however won't come up on any searches on Genome or BBC because they didn't broadcast it.
I was hoping a search on tvguide.co.uk might bring up some details however the archived tvguide pages are no longer available.

The best I can find is here: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1995360/

TheTVDB try to match the broadcaster wherever possible so I guess we can blame the broadcaster. Their listing is shoddy, it doesn't even have When Louis Met... Max Clifford or When Louis Met... Jimmy Saville. I've queried it with them but don't expect a response. Also, the episodes "Law and Disorder in..." somehow don't count as a group but all the others do?

As a general point, I don't think TheTVDB should be concerned about media server records, personally I agree but opinions based on a media server interface shouldn't affect the content in the database, it's for the entry in the database to be rule adherent and as accurate as possible. I have objections around the TV downloader I use which will no longer work based on the updated entry but that's not TheTVDB's fault, it's my downloader.

I would vastly prefer a flat structured episode order because, as you say, they are all effectively specials, the only differentiating factor is the title. Admins have already been involved and while this post is open I expect the decision from mods is not final. I just don't want multiple changes to the show because that really would mess around with media collections.
ladybananas

Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:59 am

When Louis Met was originally broadcast as a stand-alone program, the fact that the bbc has merged them now probably shouldn’t matter. It aired 20 years ago, it seems weird that anybody would change it now. Same as the rest of the Louis Theroux docs. They’ve been organised as a single season for years. The BBC website presents them as a single season, regardless of what they’re embedding in the metadata and backend.
brian not brian

Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:39 pm

Please revert recent changes to the Louis Theroux listing & lock it. As has already been said, this makes a dogs breakfast of show listing and misses out shows. Listing the shows in bloadcast order makes the most sense. The BBC doesn't put episodes into series so why should thetvdb ?