Unlock Formula 1 Race Edits (279437)

Request & discuss changes to series.
Read the instructions at the top of the forum before making a post!
Forum rules
This forum is now read-only. Support for TheTVDB.com is now available at https://support.thetvdb.com/ We also have a Knowledgebase which includes site rules and tips at https://support.thetvdb.com/kb/
b5s4saleioh

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:50 pm

I was under the impression that Formula 1 wasn't allowed?
However, due to 279437 still existing (not deleted), I would conclude that there is at least some interest in keeping data for this series available?

https://thetvdb.com/series/formula-1-race-edits

Could this series be unlocked so I can add the missing race data from 2015 to present?
Thanks!
ChristyEzzell
Site Admin

Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:52 am

b5s4saleioh wrote:
However, due to 279437 still existing (not deleted), I would conclude that there is at least some interest in keeping data for this series available?

Could this series be unlocked so I can add the missing race data from 2015 to present?
Thanks!
Let us discuss this. It's a lot of data to lose, but maintaining this particular sport is burdensome on our current mod team.
b5s4saleioh

Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:38 pm

ChristyEzzell wrote:
b5s4saleioh wrote:

Thanks!
Let us discuss this. It's a lot of data to lose, but maintaining this particular sport is burdensome on our current mod team.
I agree. There is no reason for anyone to modify previous race seasons, however, full unlock would potentially allow for shenanigans to take place :cry:
Is there a way to unlock for only specific/limited users? I should be able to keep it maintained fairly regularly (At least episode name, date, details).
Gilly
Site Moderator

Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:42 am

b5s4saleioh wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:38 pm
ChristyEzzell wrote:
b5s4saleioh wrote:

Thanks!
I agree. There is no reason for anyone to modify previous race seasons, however, full unlock would potentially allow for shenanigans to take place :cry:
Is there a way to unlock for only specific/limited users? I should be able to keep it maintained fairly regularly (At least episode name, date, details).
Hi,

You're correct that Formula 1 (and all sport in general) is not allowed on TVDB. However, as Christy stated above, a discussion is going to take place between the Admin team as to whether Formula 1 specifically can be an exception similar to what we have done with WWE/UFC.

One of the reasons (among many others) that sport isn't allowed is that a lot of events are broadcast on multiple networks. Using F1 as an example, races are broadcast on Sky Sports in the UK, ESPN in the US, Ziggo in the Netherlands, BEIN in the Middle East, Fox in Australia and so on. We couldn't have an entry for each and there would then be arguments over which network is listed in the one entry that we would keep. Thankfully however, F1 now has their own official channel which we already have listed so I've suggested that this could be used to resolve the network debate.

As F1 TV broadcasts all practice and qualifying sessions as well as the race and these are part of the official event, would you agree that these should be added to the Season listings?

I've used Season 2019 as an example of how that would look.

All of the above is of course dependent on the Admin team allowing a Formula 1 entry to exist at all.

Thanks
b5s4saleioh

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:33 pm

Thanks for the reply.!

I think F1TV is a great source to use as "truth" for air dates, and agree this should be used.

My thoughts were to only include main race events (just like prior seasons in Formula 1 Race Edits).
I could see how practice and qualifying sessions could be of interest to some people, but I would personally prefer only main race events (like the series title "Race Edits")

Please keep us updated on the decision.
Best Regards
leolonghi

Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:14 pm

I agree that sports' events which only happen one at a time, like F1/MotoGP/Formula E/MotoE and so on, would be reasonable to keep on TVDB, while stuff like classic soccer would be a "pain in the ###" (even if I think is not impossible, but this is not the topic).
I support the idea of creating a series' database for each sport like motorsport, but I do not really care if it is only for races or for practice and qualifying too.
I'll stay tuned for updates from the Admins and the staff.
Jammi3D

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:01 am

Is there any update on this? ... would be great to get 2020 Season listed properly too.
Gilly
Site Moderator

Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:00 am

Hi All,

Apologies for the delayed response on this one. We've discussed this extensively within the Admin/Mod team, I'll give a brief summary of the discussion here:

My initial suggestion was to use F1TV as the source of truth, however F1TV has only existed since 2018, so for all races prior to this, it would be incorrect for us to list them as airing on F1TV.

Obviously the races prior to 2018 were aired on other networks, but as I stated in my previous post there would then have to be an entry for each network around the World that broadcast them and this is something we'd prefer to avoid.

So if we use F1TV as the sole entry on the database, then we couldn't list races prior to 2018.

What I also hadn't considered in my initial suggestion, was that each network broadcast unique build up and post race analysis as well as the race itself. I suspect the majority of users use the data on TVDB in conjunction with tracking apps such as TV Time/Trakt, so if we used F1TV this would make tracking inaccurate for a lot of users. For example, I watch the races on Sky Sports in the UK so I'm not sure I would mark each "episode" as watched as I did not actually watch the build up/analysis on F1TV. The race itself is only part of the "show".

The latest suggestion in our Admin/Mod chat was therefore to add sports, but disable the network/people for each entry. That way we would simply be listing just the sporting event itself and would avoid the need to have multiple entries for each network to cover the build up/analysis etc. I don't believe this is something we've done for any other entries in the database so it would need looking into further incase it has a knock-on effect anywhere.

In summary, we're not against adding F1 to the database, but as above it's not easy to do so accurately. Feel free to discuss further in this thread and we're open to any suggestions.

With regard to the specific database entry in the original post of this thread, it should be deleted, but I'll leave it for now as if we do decide to add F1 in future I can just edit that entry rather than having to create all the seasons/races again from scratch.

On a slightly related note, if anyone else watches Sky Sports in the UK, I've added Ted's Notebook (Or "The Notebook" as Sky are now calling it) to the database.

Thanks
leolonghi

Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:15 am

Gilly wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:00 am
What I also hadn't considered in my initial suggestion, was that each network broadcast unique build up and post race analysis as well as the race itself. I suspect the majority of users use the data on TVDB in conjunction with tracking apps such as TV Time/Trakt, so if we used F1TV this would make tracking inaccurate for a lot of users. For example, I watch the races on Sky Sports in the UK so I'm not sure I would mark each "episode" as watched as I did not actually watch the build up/analysis on F1TV. The race itself is only part of the "show".

The latest suggestion in our Admin/Mod chat was therefore to add sports, but disable the network/people for each entry. That way we would simply be listing just the sporting event itself and would avoid the need to have multiple entries for each network to cover the build up/analysis etc. I don't believe this is something we've done for any other entries in the database so it would need looking into further incase it has a knock-on effect anywhere.
What about using the database ONLY to track the races, with no pre-race or post-race stuff? Only the 2-hours event where the 20 cars run on the track, from race start to chequered flag. As for the network: I don't think it would be that problematic, if considering only the race, because the important is having the correct schedule, isn't it? So, if there actually is the need to add a network, we could use something generical.
I hope I was successful at explaining myself.
b5s4saleioh

Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:32 pm

I agree only to add the championship season races on here. Leaving the network off would be fine too.
For 2020 Season, could one of the mods add the below races?

Austria 5-Jul-2020
Styria 12-Jul-2020
Hungary 19-Jul-2020
Great Britain 2-Aug-2020
Anniversary 9-Aug-2020
Spain 16-Aug-2020
Belgium 30-Aug-2020
Italy 6-Sep-2020
Tuscany 13-Sep-2020
Russia 27-Sep-2020
Eifel 11-Oct-2020
Portugal 25-Oct-2020