Ghost Hunters Season 12 "Beyond the Investigation"

All completed requests go in here. This way we can clean our main forums, but still have this stuff show up in search.
Forum rules
PLEASE REFRAIN FROM REPLYING TO POSTS IN THIS SECTION DAYS/WEEKS/MONTHS AFTER THE FACT!
If you believe that you need to have a change fulfilled immediately, please start a new topic.

We do not actively check threads for replies as they are considered to be over and done with once they are moved here.
If you have a valid reason to reiterate an issue already covered in such a thread, please post a new topic in the appropriate area of the forum.
yemaozi

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:44 pm

https://www.thetvdb.com/series/ghost-hunters/seasons/12

"Beyond the Investigation" was originally (and still is) listed in the special episodes section. Recently someone also added it as Season 12 Episode 4 and renumbered the following episodes in the season. I know I could just go renumber it back but would like to request that whichever outcome mods decide that it be locked so that this isn't a recurring issue. (Don't lock Suicide Hotel or later episodes as they have not yet been broadcast and the broadcast date for Suicide Hotel is still uncertain; different sites currently show different broadcast dates.)

I believe the Beyond the Investigation should be a special episode but to be fair I'll start with the reasons it should be an episode: A&E's official site lists it as an episode, and some scene groups number their episodes to reflect this.

Reasons it should not be an episode: 1) A&E is notorious for misnumbering things. See past discussions on Live PD or The First 48 for good examples. Even for this series they call it season 1 instead of season 12. 2) A&E also calls "Back on the Hunt" an episode instead of a special. If "Beyond the Investigation" is deemed an episode, "Back on the Hunt" would by the same criteria also be an episode. 3) The description says it's a special. 4) It doesn't follow the normal episode format of an investigation but contains cast interviews and contents of previous and future episodes.

5) The following episode listings either omit it or call it a special:

TV Guide does not list it as an episode (though the broadcast date of Suicide Hotel is wrong): https://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/ghost-h ... s/1346059/
IMDB does not list it as an episode (though they call special "Back on the Hunt" episode 0): https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0426697/ep ... =tttv_sa_1
Futon Critic lists it as a special without an episode number, though they haven't renumbered episodes since "Suicide Hotel" was postponed: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/ ... /listings/
Wikipedia does not list it as an episode: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... s_episodes

(As a side note someone named the 10/30 episode as "Season Finale" which conflicts with A&E's press release stating the season will have 20 episodes.)
yemaozi

Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:04 pm

Some links got left out:
Official site: https://www.aetv.com/shows/ghost-hunters
Beyond the Investigation on the official site: https://www.aetv.com/shows/ghost-hunter ... /episode-4
eherberg

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:22 am

Other notes: The confusion is because A&E renumbered and included the 'Beyond the Investigation' episode after-the-fact. Unfortunately, Internet Archive doesn't have a snap to indicate this. Their only snapshots are from before the 1st episode aired and after 'Beyond' aired. I recall seeing this on the site - and for possible corroboration you'll notice in the Scene numbering the 'jump' in episode numbering -- indicating where the A&E retro-numbering took place.

I don't have a strong feeling about this. I would tend to believe it belongs in specials and ignore the retro-numbering 1 week later - but since it was only a week (and during the airing of the current season), I understand the argument that it could be considered more of a correction than a retro-numbering.An

For what it's worth -- Gracenote also doesn't have it as a regular episode - but also has a missing episode number where the episode would go.

Anyhoo -- for those of you who care about the entries for your libraries, no source seems to agree so we can make a call about which way to go. I lean towards special - but I also understand the argument for site correction. Any other compelling arguments?

Side note: For what it's worth - in my own library I have it as a regular episode, but that is only because of my wife's preferences. She watches a number of these 'Ghost' shows and had already indicated to me that she does *not* consider this program a continuation of the original series. So in my library, I have it as 'Ghost Hunters 2019' with a season starting at 1. She also prefers the episodes to be on 1 season 'list' -- so that's the way it is in my library. Hey -- it get's me a sweet home-cooked Sunday Breakfast to make my Emby library look like how she wants it to look. :-) Anybody who really disagrees with our classification here can, of course, name and number it however they want in their own libraries.
yemaozi

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:54 am

eherberg wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:22 am
Other notes: The confusion is because A&E renumbered and included the 'Beyond the Investigation' episode after-the-fact. Unfortunately, Internet Archive doesn't have a snap to indicate this. Their only snapshots are from before the 1st episode aired and after 'Beyond' aired. I recall seeing this on the site - and for possible corroboration you'll notice in the Scene numbering the 'jump' in episode numbering -- indicating where the A&E retro-numbering took place.
Good point. I forgot about this but recall it as well. I went back to check my own download logs and "The Cursed Castle" was indeed originally released on aetv's site on 9/12 as episode 4 and was replaced as episode 4 by "Beyond the Investigation" on 9/17. I check the sites of the shows I follow once a day so those release times should be accurate within 24 hours.
yemaozi

Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:33 pm

yemaozi wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:44 pm
(As a side note someone named the 10/30 episode as "Season Finale" which conflicts with A&E's press release stating the season will have 20 episodes.)
Side note to the side note: Their official twitter account says next week's episode Hospital Horror will be the season finale: https://twitter.com/ghosthunters/ (So it would nice to have a determination by TVDB about whether "Beyond the Investigation" is a special or episode before season packs are made.)
eherberg

Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:26 pm

I'll do a quick survey internally and see what people think. :-)

My own interpretation is that 5 days is a short enough grace period to allow for a bending of the no retro-numbering rule -- but we'll see if anybody disagrees (especially due to the content of the episode).
yemaozi

Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:37 pm

eherberg wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:26 pm
My own interpretation is that 5 days is a short enough grace period to allow for a bending of the no retro-numbering rule -- but we'll see if anybody disagrees (especially due to the content of the episode).
While AETV may have retro-numbered in 5 days, whoever renumbered TVDB waited almost a month, at which point five already broadcast episodes in total were retro-renumbered.
eherberg

Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:27 pm

Just to follow-up on this: 'Beyond' is going to stay as a regular episode. Despite the content, every accepted source we have lists it as a regular episode. Rather than go down the path here with using subjective to determine episode placement - we're simply going to go with what (nearly) all of the accepted sources say and keep it as a regular.

Update made.