Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood (new info)

All completed requests go in here. This way we can clean our main forums, but still have this stuff show up in search.
Forum rules
PLEASE REFRAIN FROM REPLYING TO POSTS IN THIS SECTION DAYS/WEEKS/MONTHS AFTER THE FACT!
If you believe that you need to have a change fulfilled immediately, please start a new topic.

We do not actively check threads for replies as they are considered to be over and done with once they are moved here.
If you have a valid reason to reiterate an issue already covered in such a thread, please post a new topic in the appropriate area of the forum.
sufr3ak

Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood (new info)

Postby sufr3ak » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:39 am

I know this show has been mentioned, but I noticed something which may help. Aside from the valid points here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=54893&p=149849&hilit=daniel+tiger#p146667

Despite being 2 'stories', they're part of a single episode since they're part of the theme. At the start of each episode, Daniel introduces the 2 parts as what will happen in that episode.

Combined with the aforementioned post and that the OFFICIAL listing is 2 'stories per episode, I am asking for this to please be updated/fixed. I'm happy to do it myself.

This is not the format of other 2 part cartoons with 2 completely independent episodes. These are a single episode with 2 stories.

JohnKFisher

Re: Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood (new info)

Postby JohnKFisher » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:41 am

Seconded, for what that is worth - this format drives me crazy with a number of shows on here. Molly from Denali comes to mind, as does Paw Patrol, though those are debatable if they are unrelated stories/episodes. Daniel Tiger though is definitely two linked stories per episode.

sufr3ak

Postby sufr3ak » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:29 pm

Admins - any chance of discussion on this? I'm more than happy to go through and make the changes myself. It can be locked after, especially seasons 1-3. I know you guys are swamped, but I (and I'm sure others) are more than happy to do the heavy lifting.

Equinox
Site Moderator

Postby Equinox » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:43 am

sufr3ak wrote:Admins - any chance of discussion on this? I'm more than happy to go through and make the changes myself. It can be locked after, especially seasons 1-3. I know you guys are swamped, but I (and I'm sure others) are more than happy to do the heavy lifting.

Hi,

My apologies for the delay.
Re: Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood (ID 261511) — with V3 of the site having finally launched (yay!), we now have the functionality in place to support alternate orders.

The upside: We can allow having every two stories grouped into one episode rather than being split into two separate episodes, in addition to the existing listing (which will be called the Official Order).
The downside: Since the Alternate Order is a whole 'nother entity, once I enable it, you'll have to create all the episodes completely from scratch. (But hey, at least it's half the number of episodes!) Unfortunately, there is no way to copy episodes over from one "order" to another, so heavy lifting would in fact be required here. I should also stress that you won't be able to use the existing episode images and will have to produce new ones, as we have new size requirements for those — 640x360 pixels (for episodes broadcast in HD, 16:9) in lieu of the previous standard of 400x225.

Also, just for the record — I found a duplicate of this series (ID 357816) which employs the alternative listing logic (each episode is two stories), and it will soon be deleted.
https://www.thetvdb.com/series/daniel-t ... -numbering

sufr3ak

Postby sufr3ak » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:01 am

I had a long grateful rely which got lost for some reason.

In short, thank you. I'll do the heavy lifting, but can the Official Order for this show be the proper official order? That is the official way and it is how the show is structured. (2 related stories in an episode.) It is not 2 disparate episodes aired together.

That's the official listing and description. And I'm happy to help write it all up.

If there is an API, it'll be easier. If not, no biggie. Images will be slower due to the new format, but I'm sure others will help.

Equinox
Site Moderator

Postby Equinox » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:42 am

sufr3ak wrote:I had a long grateful rely which got lost for some reason.

In short, thank you. I'll do the heavy lifting, but can the Official Order for this show be the proper official order? That is the official way and it is how the show is structured. (2 related stories in an episode.) It is not 2 disparate episodes aired together.

That's the official listing and description. And I'm happy to help write it all up.

If there is an API, it'll be easier. If not, no biggie. Images will be slower due to the new format, but I'm sure others will help.

I agree with you that an exception to the Multi-segment Episode Splitting rule should be made here—I feel like you and Hossy have made a solid case for that—but let me run this by the admins and get back to you.
And no, there isn't an API, sorry.

sufr3ak

Postby sufr3ak » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:07 am

No problem. I may be able to script it regardless. A transitional workflow would be creating the alternate order, we move the episodes to that order, then update the existing ones. (Then just delete the extra episodes left behind.)

This way, there is no gap in data. Once an alternative season is created and populated (images will take more time), I can update the current season to reduce it to the proper structure, delete the extra episodes. Then onto the next season

sufr3ak

Postby sufr3ak » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:20 am

Hey admins/mods - is there a next step we can take here. A fifth season was announced:
https://www.pbs.org/about/blogs/news/pb ... ghborhood/

We could take the current tvdb entry, https://www.thetvdb.com/series/daniel-t ... ighborhood and get it into proper shape.

Fixing Season 4 would be trivial and easy now. (Give me about 2 hours and I can do it.) And it would be ready for the new episodes coming in a week or 2

sufr3ak

Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood - please unlock for approved changes

Postby sufr3ak » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:01 am

Mods - Currently Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood is locked at Season 1 and Season 2 levels.

https://www.thetvdb.com/series/daniel-t ... ighborhood

Continuing this thread which mods have approved the changes, viewtopic.php?f=7&t=57325, I'd like to correct these seasons, as well as 3 and 4 before the new episodes start in about 5 days.

Afterwards, the seasons can/should be relocked.

Once the seasons are unlocked, it won't take me long to correct the episodes

Equinox
Site Moderator

Re: Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood - please unlock for approved changes

Postby Equinox » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:14 am

sufr3ak wrote:Mods - Currently Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood is locked at Season 1 and Season 2 levels.

https://www.thetvdb.com/series/daniel-t ... ighborhood

Continuing this thread which mods have approved the changes, viewtopic.php?f=7&t=57325, I'd like to correct these seasons, as well as 3 and 4 before the new episodes start in about 5 days.

Afterwards, the seasons can/should be relocked.

Once the seasons are unlocked, it won't take me long to correct the episodes

I did bring this up with the team but I haven't gotten back to you because a decision has yet to be reached.

I should note that the changes you're seeking to implement haven't really been approved. When V3 of the site launched, I said you would be able to add your structure (where every two segments make one episode, rather than each segment being its own episode) as an "alternate order" thanks to the V3 feature that enables that. However, since we are back on V2 for the moment, the discussion now is around whether or not an exception should be made to the multi-segment episode splitting rule. This is unprecedented so we're understandably a bit loath to open that door.

We appreciate your enthusiasm on this matter and we do hope this can be sorted soon, so please hold on a little bit longer.