Blood and Treasure, The Curse of Cleopatra

Discussion regarding locked series.
Read the instructions at the top of the forum before making a post!
Forum rules
All requests to modify unlocked entries - with the exception of series titles - will immediately be marked Resolved.

Please read our rules and our series-specific information before posting.
Specials Guidelines are available here.
Please link to the series/episode page and your sources.
Wikipedia is a good starting point for searches, but it WILL NOT be considered a valid reason for requesting a change.

In addition the following items are not acceptable reasoning for a request: scene/torrent/fansub releases, sickbeard/couch potato/etc, re-airings in another country (or new channel), and once again wikipedia.

Please note that episode images cannot be replaced by regular users. To replace an image, create a post and link to both the exact episode and the replacement image (use imgur or similar) and a moderator will replace the image for you.

Note: Requests to unlock a series will be denied as all series locks are in place for a good reason. Please indicate which changes you are needing to see made and cite valid sources as mentioned above. Thank you
Skillzore

Blood and Treasure, The Curse of Cleopatra

Postby Skillzore » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:53 pm

Since a single Wikipedia reference link (not as a source but as info, later linking to the actual source), seemingly got my last request blatantly denied I will try again.

This time I have dug up the link to the actual CBS press release https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/blood-treasure/releases/view?id=52581
Which presents a separate guest cast list for part I and part II and different directors for part I and part II. This clearly indicates that they are actually separate episodes that were broadcast together. Why CBS won't acknowledge this by their hosted episodes, I don't know. But the TV Guide (https://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/blood-treasure/episodes/1144571/), Direct TV (https://www.directv.com/tv/Blood-Treasure-UUdUUmZTR0laTENGby9GckxSaXJvUT09) and The Futon Critic (http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/blood-and-treasure/listings/) all list the first season as 13 episodes (with Legacy of the Father as episode 12, and The Revenge of Farouk as episode 13). So why are we conforming to the CBS numbering? Because it is the original source? Shouldn't the thetvdb list the number of actual episodes regardless of how they are broadcast, hosted or presented on some websites?

I guess we need to define "the number of actual episodes" in that case though. For me an episode is when you need to list differences from other episodes or regular cast, like if another director was used or a different writer or different guest cast and characters.

The main thing for me, are the two separate guest cast lists. If this was supposed to be one episode, just mash those two lists into one. There could be multiple co-working directors on one episode for a bunch of different reasons, but listing cast for different "parts" of one episode seems very weird to me.

I would love to discuss how thetvdb feels differently and understand why that is.

Skillzore

Re: Blood and Treasure, The Curse of Cleopatra

Postby Skillzore » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:30 pm

Just realized I forgot to link to the tvdb page, so here it is:
https://www.thetvdb.com/series/blood-and-treasure

Equinox
Site Moderator

Postby Equinox » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:09 pm

Hi there,

This may not be a popular opinion, but I actually agree with you and think the Blood and Treasure premiere should be listed as two separate episodes — as I have already stated here.
I feel like if there's a different writer or director for each part, that should really seal the deal. Plus CBS ordered 13 episodes and I think our listing should reflect that, even if the first two episodes aired one after another. They still have separate production codes.

Skillzore

Postby Skillzore » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:00 pm

Alright, so I guess we get CBS to change listing then. I just shot them an email. Let's see what happens.

Equinox
Site Moderator

Postby Equinox » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:27 am

Skillzore wrote:Alright, so I guess we get CBS to change listing then. I just shot them an email. Let's see what happens.

The thing is, websites for TV series these days seem to be primarily focused on making it easy for visitors to stream episodes and little else. Ten years ago, before the age of Netflix and streaming, these official websites used to be more information-oriented (and therefore it made sense to rely on the official website as an episode guide), but these days it's all about video content.
With that in mind, I understand the logic behind CBS's decision to combine the two episodes into one: If someone wants to try a new show, they're likely to sample the first episode and make a decision based on that. When the pilot is a two-parter, as is the case with the series in question, of course CBS would want you to watch both parts — it makes no sense to only watch the first. But just because these episodes aired back-to-back and are bundled together on CBS's website, doesn't mean they should be listed as one episode, in my humble opinion. There is supporting evidence from the CBS press release indicating that these are two discrete episodes (albeit connected). Plus there are two individual production codes, so what we list as Episode 2 is really #103 and so forth.

Skillzore

Postby Skillzore » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:39 am

Yes I agree completely!

Got an informative answer from CBS:

Dear ... ,

Thank you for responding.

We would like to let you know that CBS All Access has combined Episodes 1 and 2 into a singular episode for viewing on the CBS App and site. This was only made for the CBS site for non interrupted viewing of this 2 part episode.

Let me know if you still have questions. I look forward to assisting you!

Regards,
CBS All Access Customer Service

They call it episodes 1 and 2!
It is just for viewing purposes and not a listing. Do we really need more confirmation on this?

Responded with a question, if they could possibly change the numbering to s01e01e02 for the first episode, so that the rest will get their correct numbers. Awaiting their answer.

Skillzore

Postby Skillzore » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:44 am

Got this response to the numbering change:

Dear ... ,

Thank you for responding.

Our product team is constantly working to improve the CBS All Access experience. We strive to roll out updates on a regular basis, so please check back very soon!

Please continue to enjoy CBS All Access.

Regards,
CBS All Access Customer Service

Seems like a non-answer to me, but I guess it might happen. Or it might not.

I do think that thetvdb should change our listing though, since CBS customer support more or less told us that they are two different episodes and only put together for viewing reasons.

ChristyEzzell

Postby ChristyEzzell » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:10 pm

I sympathize will all parties here. This is a difficult problem, but the good news is that it will be solved by offering the functionality of our new site in supporting alternate orders. 13 episodes is a typical episode order for a network season, rather than 12. And to add fuel to the fire, Gracenote appears to deem it two separate episodes. Plus they are directed by two different people. See below. If possible, I would leave it as is and wait for the new site.

https://i.imgur.com/iOBWC14.png[/img]

shotfirer

Postby shotfirer » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:32 am

So, since the new site launch is not in some foreseeable future, will something be done to correct the episode list? The next episode will be out in 3 days, and a lot of people would not be able to match it, since there's no episode 13 in your database.

HnyBear

Postby HnyBear » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:45 pm

When can we expect the new site?