Here we go again with locked Specials for new Black Mirror

Discussion regarding locked series.
Read the instructions at the top of the forum before making a post!
Forum rules
All requests to modify unlocked entries - with the exception of series titles - will immediately be marked Resolved.

Please read our rules and our series-specific information before posting.
Specials Guidelines are available here.
Please link to the series/episode page and your sources.
Wikipedia is a good starting point for searches, but it WILL NOT be considered a valid reason for requesting a change.

In addition the following items are not acceptable reasoning for a request: scene/torrent/fansub releases, sickbeard/couch potato/etc, re-airings in another country (or new channel), and once again wikipedia.

Please note that episode images cannot be replaced by regular users. To replace an image, create a post and link to both the exact episode and the replacement image (use imgur or similar) and a moderator will replace the image for you.

Note: Requests to unlock a series will be denied as all series locks are in place for a good reason. Please indicate which changes you are needing to see made and cite valid sources as mentioned above. Thank you
One2go

Here we go again with locked Specials for new Black Mirror

Postby One2go » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:01 am

What I don't understand is you add the latest Netflix Special episode of Black Mirror Bandersnatch but leave it locked with hardly any meta data and no image. Surely when you add a new episode you want community contributions. You need to change that or get rid of the Einstein that adds new content and then disables it for community contributions.

Imzadi
Site Moderator

Re: Here we go again with locked Specials for new Black Mirror

Postby Imzadi » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:29 am

Calling other people "Einstein" and such isn't exactly in you favor. Especially when a mod went and added an episode just when it was announced and two days after the episode streamed you still complain.

One2go

Postby One2go » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:20 am

The same thing happened with Deutschland 83 and I posted the same complaint on October 22nd and nothing changed still locked with minimal meta data and no images in the Specials section. That time someone answered "This usually happens because someone kept adding inappropriate episodes to the season." Do I need Deutschland 83's meta data NO, do I have the missing meta data YES.

So the process is flawed, when either a new season or new special episodes are added to existing shows and now only moderators can modify/add content to it. What is the problem with after a moderator added a new episodes to leave that new content unlocked until the meta data is completed? You do this already for shows that are obscure and not well know as I have contributed artwork to numerous different shows.

I am grateful for new content being added, but my complaint it with locking added new content to existing shows for contributions which you failed to address. The funny thing is I don't need that meta data as I import images and meta data from XML files into EMBY and Plex, job done. Your users are the ones that are being short changed by only allowing moderators to update newly added content to existing shows. Be open for criticism as it improves the site and then change it if it has merit.

Imzadi
Site Moderator

Postby Imzadi » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:45 am

What exactly is it you do not understand why we are forced to lock content? Do you think it's because it's fun and we want people whining about it?

If we could leave it unlocked, believe me we would. If we had left Deutschland 83 unlocked, the title would have changed numerous times by now. Which is a much bigger problem than missing data.

One2go

Postby One2go » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:47 pm

Believe me I do understand why you need to lock down content because I do at with my servers at home so that the meta data collectors of Emby and Plex do not mess up my custom created meta data for a specific series or collection.

However, you are needing to delegate help. Create a group like editors/Contributors/Power Users or whatever you want to name them and give them rights and permissions to update locked content. Like when a new special episode is being added to a locked series don't handle it all by yourselves let this group do it. Monitor their activity and if they abuse it or mess up then take away their access.

Deutschland 83's changed title was discussed here in the forum and it was the site personal with access privileges that had changed it to Deutschland 86 until users pointed out that even Amazon lists it under Deutschland 83 and they own the rights. There will be a repeat when Deutschland 89 is being released.

The problem is when you add a new special episode or season and with just some partial meta data then it is unfinished, who will complete it as you are busy with running the site? Case in point, Deutschland 83 the 2nd special episode. Create a group of assistants that can help with that. At present I contribute images to fanart.tv and the users there are encouraged to contribute and it works well. I admit this site is a bit more complicated and needs more monitoring.

Bottom line if you want to make your life easier you need to create a structure that gives privileged access to others besides mods and admins.

Imzadi
Site Moderator

Postby Imzadi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:31 pm

All great ideas. And already discussed many times and not going to happen until the current site is working as it should.