Saga Vs Season...

Discuss ongoing matters concerning the application of site policies, or the policies themselves, here.
Forum rules
This sub-forum is for the discussion of site policy and the handling thereof ONLY.
Please direct all change requests to the main forum.
Darkrenzo

Saga Vs Season...

Postby Darkrenzo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:41 am

Hi guys. I am fresh to the forums here.
I am a Plex user and use the TVDB agent for almost all of my metadata.
I do have query about the episode numbering you guys employ here as it is kind of messing with my flow...

Sagas Vs Seasons... When it comes to these I see you guys treat them as one and the same.
It is something that I think really only occurs in anime's (from what I have seen) and even then it is a rarity.
But in this case I am talking about Dragon Ball Super. This anime does not employ the usual episodic structure like most anime's and TV shows do. It does not actually have any 'Seasons' but rather 'Sagas' and this means that rather than the episode count resetting, it continues into the new saga with first episode starting from the next episode number.
So now when I spit my episodes up into the "seasons" that you guys have, only my first saga gets metadata and the rest don't, because the next episode to start of saga 2 is episode 15 and you have it down as episode 1.
I know that you will probably come back to me with "why don't you rename your episodes to match ours" or something to the like. While this is possible... it isn't actually how it is. I like to keep my episodes named exactly how they are supposed to be so they show up fine both on the Plex and on my DLNA server.

So my question is to you... Does giving the episode the number that it actually is disrupt your site mechanic in anyway that does not make it possible? Will starting Saga (season) 2 off from episode 15 be something that is not possible due to the mechanics or the code of your website?
Or is this something you can possibly adopt for the anime's like DBS, Bleach Naruto and the such that don't actually have their episode numbers split into seasons?

Thank-you for taking the time to read this and I hope that it helps other anime users that like to keep their file names uniform and correct as well.

Darkrenzo

Re: Saga Vs Season...

Postby Darkrenzo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:38 am

My apologies... I forgot to add the TVDB link in my post.

https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=295068&lid=7

And sorry for not providing a particular source, but it is pretty common knowledge in the anime world that long running series like Dragon Ball (Z/S), Bleach, Naruto, One Piece and such have continuous and high running episode numbers.
As apposed to an anime like say Attack On Titan, which actually comes out in actual seasons.

Thanx Again

Maretoh

Postby Maretoh » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:28 pm

Doesn't the DVD order match what you're looking for?
https://www.thetvdb.com/index.php?id=29 ... &order=dvd
An episode a day keeps the doctor away.

knossos

Postby knossos » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:54 am

The order might, but the naming would not meet his requirement because those are also numbered by season name. Even the absolute order (likely closer to what he's looking for) still names them by season.

Darkrenzo

Postby Darkrenzo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:45 am

Sorry for the late reply... I dont seem to be getting any notifications on this post.

Yes unfortunately the dvd order numbering convention used here does not work for me as per the reasons explained already by Knossos.

Which I find interesting since the dvd/bluray releases do not employ the method of numbering used on this site, but rather then method that I have suggested, as seen on these two released titles -

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-sho ... -1/460317/
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-sho ... -2/499518/

Also in relation to the red bar at the top saying - "Forum rules
This sub-forum is for the discussion of site policy and the handling thereof ONLY.
Please direct all change requests to the main forum."

I did post this in the Series Change Requests main forum. Not too sure how it ended up here in this sub forum (or even what this sub forum is really for), but I am new here and am not to sure exactly how you guys organize all this. I am not an avid forum user either, so some of the concepts and explanations get lost on me.
My apologies for that.