Dragon Ball Z Kai

Series that require continual maintenance and / or aggressive cleanup.
TheAllyKat

Dragon Ball Z Kai

Postby TheAllyKat » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:31 pm

Hello,

I would to request an individualized entry for "Dragon Ball Z Kai" that does not auto direct to "Dragon Ball Kai". The Adult Swim's "Toonami" block of entertainment on the Cartoon Network has started what they have titled "DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters". The first of the episodes aired on January 7/2017 click here for trailer and air date confirmation

Unlike the original Japanese version "Dragon Ball Kai" there are more episodes in the internation version that were removed before airing in Japan. The English/International release does not remove these episodes.

The English release "Dragon Ball Z Kai" episode titles are different and there is an official season release structure as per Funimation.
Season 1 - Episodes 1-26 (as shown on the Blu-Ray box art)
Season 2 - Episodes 27-52 (as shown on the Blu-Ray box art)
Season 3 - Episodes 53-77 (as shown on the Blu-Ray box art)
Season 4 - Episodes 78-98 (as shown on the Blu-Ray box art)
Season 5 - Episodes 99~

Thank-you!

ourcore

Re: Dragon Ball Z Kai

Postby ourcore » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:59 pm

I second the separate addition of season five, but I don't think the series will be separated. I previously requested for the DVD order to be added for the first four seasons, but now season five will only get picked up as season two.

DarklightIndigo
Leo of the East Bay

Postby DarklightIndigo » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:51 pm

Kai is already an exception to the policy regarding recuts.
It's not likely that we'll be allowing a new airing entry for the Funimation recut of a recut.

That said, I'm not against providing NFO files for anyone who wants them.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

IAmTheMilkMan

Postby IAmTheMilkMan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:07 am

DarklightIndigo wrote:Kai is already an exception to the policy regarding recuts.
It's not likely that we'll be allowing a new airing entry for the Funimation recut of a recut.

That said, I'm not against providing NFO files for anyone who wants them.

Actually, Funimation/Toonami had nothing to do with it. "Season 2" of Kai was initially only produced by Toei for the sole purpose of being aired internationally due to popular demand; it was never intended to air domestically at all due to the low merchandise sales that the first "season" yielded. It wasn't until the cancellation of Toriko that Toei, needing a quick replacement, changed their minds and decided to air the second season after all. However, in doing so, they cut the show down even further, resulting in fewer total episodes than the international version that they sent literally everywhere else in the world. Not only that, but Toei themselves named the international version Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters, so it's not just a US thing, that is what it's called everywhere in the world but Japan.

Actually, I should have just done this from the beginning, but here is an excerpt from Kanzenshuu.com that perfectly explains how these two different versions came to be:
While known in Japan as simply Dragon Ball Kai, Toei elected to re-brand the series as Dragon Ball Z Kai for its international distribution, to help distinguish it as a new series based on the globally famous Dragon Ball Z series. Aside from any international censoring or editing, the series was distributed internationally just as it had originally aired in Japan. Following the series’ premature end in 2011 with the conclusion of the Cell arc, international distributors requested Toei continue the series on into the Majin Boo arc, as there was still a demand for it amongst international fans. Toei began production of a 69 episode final arc of the series, giving it the sub-title “The Final Chapters”, with the intention that it would only be distributed internationally. Although it would be bypassing the Japanese market, the series was fully produced with an original musical score and recorded Japanese dialogue.

At some point during or after the series’ production, Fuji TV approached Toei requesting a replacement series for the waning Toriko anime. With Toei having a newly produced series already in hand, it was decided that Dragon Ball Kai would return to retake its old time slot on Fuji TV after all. However, due to constraints allotted by Fuji TV, the already produced 69 episode Majin Boo arc would need to be cut down to fit within a year’s broadcast time. Toei obliged and went back to the cutting room floor, creating two distinctly separate versions of the Majin Boo arc with differing episode counts. The international version of the series remained as it was originally produced, with 69 episodes, and began being distributed in international markets in June 2014 shortly after the shortened Japanese series began its broadcast in Japan.

It is for this reason that I still think having a separate entry for "The Final Chapters" would help. It's a little frustrating when I'm trying to match the series in PLEX and none of the episodes in "Season 2" match up.

Speaking of, what are these NFO files you're referring to? Could that solve the problem I'm having in PLEX?

DarklightIndigo
Leo of the East Bay

Postby DarklightIndigo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:27 am

They're literally per-file scraper overrides, which is why I'm volunteering to assist.
Creating around 50 of those things alone would be a massive pain in the ass.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

craignelson12

Postby craignelson12 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:40 pm

Why don't we create a new series called Dragon Ball Z Kai - The Final Chapters as Toonami is broadcasting on adult swim. I volunteer time to help create this series based on the wikipedia entries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_D ... i_episodes

Psion20

Postby Psion20 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:35 pm

The moderators will tell you that Wikipedia is not a legitimate source. But with that said the English titles in the dB are not matching up with the titles airing on Toonami. Maybe it is those recuts of the recut making episodes that aren't there.

IAmTheMilkMan

Postby IAmTheMilkMan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:56 pm

Psion20 wrote:The moderators will tell you that Wikipedia is not a legitimate source. But with that said the English titles in the dB are not matching up with the titles airing on Toonami. Maybe it is those recuts of the recut making episodes that aren't there.

Yes, that is causing the problem. However, again, technically the original Japanese broadcast was the "recut of a recut". Read my last post for what exactly "Dragon Ball Z Kai; The Final Chapters" is.

Since both of these cuts (original and Final Chapters) are official cuts directly from Toei, I feel an exception could be made as far as including The Final Chapters in the database, especially given that the majority of people in the world are going to be watching The Final Chapters version anyway as that's the cut that Toei released internationally. I don't know how, exactly, to go about doing that in an effective way, though.

YupItsJace

Postby YupItsJace » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:51 pm

Yeah, The Toonami/Adult Swim versions are dubbed version of the original Dragon Ball Kai Season 2 made for International Release, and the ones that aired in Japan are Recuts of that original version, making them have less episodes. I can try and help if anyone is going to do a new Series for it, but I just wish there was a way to do "alternate" seasons for weird international and recuts of shows. I figured the show would have the international release episodes, since there are more of them, and the japanese release overlaps with them. As we have it now, the Database skips 3 episodes, since they were not aired in japan.

YupItsJace

Postby YupItsJace » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:52 pm

Since there are only going to be a hand full of extra episodes, you could do what they did for the first season with episode 98. We got that as a normal episode, but it was released marked as a "special" because it never aired in Japan because of the Tsunami. If we use those same rules as they were never aired, but were still released, we could do the few missing episodes as "Specials". It would take a little manual fiddling filename wise for the User, but if they were set up correctly with what episodes were released when, they would show up just fine in a Kodi or Plex List.

Return to “Recurring Discussions”