How to get Netflix Episode Images

Request series, season banners, episode images or Fan Art, display banners you've created, and discuss related topics.
gabrielwalmeida

How to get Netflix Episode Images

Postby gabrielwalmeida » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:00 pm

Hi, I don't know if this is the correct forum but I'm wondering how can I get the images that Netflix puts as thumbnails of their episodes on their website. For most Netflix shows on the database, the image uploaded is the same image that is used on their website, but I cannot find how to get these images. If anyone could answer me it would be awesome.
Thanks
Gabriel
Lover of art. Future filmmaker. Here to help. ✞ :D

Mistywing

Re: How to get Netflix Episode Images

Postby Mistywing » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:50 pm

My first answer is don't because they are horribly compressed and smaller than the resolution to upload here. This means that the horrible compression will only be more visible when you scale them up.

My second answer is Right Click > View Background Image (Firefox) or Right Click > Save Picture As (Edge). Chrome I've no idea except "Inspect Element" and find it in the highlighted source block.

gabrielwalmeida

Postby gabrielwalmeida » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:12 am

"My first answer is don't because they are horribly compressed and smaller than the resolution to upload here. This means that the horrible compression will only be more visible when you scale them up."

Oh, I wouldn't add them if I couldn't find them at least on the minimum resolution available. The thing is, most of the times I see the same images being uploaded here so maybe there is a way to get them on higher resolutions (and they are uploaded on TMDB at 1920X1080, so maybe there is a way to find them in high quality.

And thanks for your answer. This route is not available on Chrome.

Mistywing

Postby Mistywing » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:47 am

Oh I see what's up then. You can try using the web dev tools. I only know this procedure for Firefox though this time.

Ctrl + Shift + I on the episodes list page.
Select the Network tab, the Images filter and I'd recommend the Disable Cache option to make sure it sees it.
Click the episode to play, and before it starts you'll see the higher res image load as the buffer background.

The web dev tools would intercept it and show it to you. You can right click that and open it in a new tab. For example.

gabrielwalmeida

Postby gabrielwalmeida » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:02 am

Oh, I got it now. Thank you very much. I was thinking that people had special powers that I was allowed to have up until now (a bit dramatic but true)

JBaby_9783

Postby JBaby_9783 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:12 pm

I’m so grateful for the asking and the answer of this question! Thank you both so much!!! I’m getting images like a boss now!

gabrielwalmeida

Postby gabrielwalmeida » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:04 pm

You're welcome. I feel similarly and these are the replies that incentive me to keep asking.

JBaby_9783

Postby JBaby_9783 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:12 pm

I should’ve asked a long time ago. It also works with other sites too. I’ve just done Nat Geo and AMC. And in case anyone else is reading, this works in Safari too. You can even put the Web Inspector on your toolbar to make it faster to access.

InzZzomnia

Postby InzZzomnia » Mon May 13, 2019 5:49 pm

Sorry for the bump but thought it was better to re-use this one than creating a new one.

Are there any way to do this when you don't have a Netflix account?

I'm used to use the dev tools to get a better quality image on most sites but these "encrypted" URLs that you by pure logic can't alter has beginning to pop up on more and more places.

Mistywing

Postby Mistywing » Tue May 14, 2019 12:25 am

I don't think there is a way, at least not through the dev tools. I got it when the episode starts buffering, as I explained above.

Here is the thumbnail you can see without logging in by going to the /title/### page
Here is the full image you can see when it buffers.

The URLs are completely different.

However if your goal is the target resolution of 400x225 that is for now the standard for thumbnails, it appears that being logged out serves higher resolution thumbnails than if you were logged in. Also if you're logged on Chrome, you get .webp images.

Logged in
Logged out

As a result, though suboptimal, you can still downscale the logged out thumbnails to 400x225.