Clangers

wd83

Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:52 am

So the Clangers has a 3rd series coming.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latest ... rs-eclipse

I saw on Sickbeard (which uses thetvdb) that the series status is "Ended" - is this something that comes from thetvdb? I can see there is only the first 2 series listed on thetvdb
DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:36 am

Technically, that's correct, as the original series terminated end of 1972.
If this is retooled into a new series with all new characters, a case might be made for a new series entry.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.
wd83

Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:02 am

Thanks. Is there a series status on thetvdb? I can't see it when viewing a series...
audio_elf

Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:36 am

I see that there has been a "Series 3" created for the Clanger, but would suggest this should be considered a new series - in the same way that Doctor Who has a 1963-1997 series and a 2005 onwards series.
audio_elf

Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:44 am

PS. to the above - BBC reference them as series 1 when using iPlayer.
jabuzzard

Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:45 pm

The BBC's iplayer is an utterly unreliable source of information. I have seen a series where two episodes have been give the same number. They regularly list Charlie and Lola with completely different episode numbers than thetvdb.

I would say it is series 3, a lot of effort was made to make it true to the original. It is still stop go animation with woollen knitted puppets. The characters are all the same as before. Sure it is shot in widescreen and sure Oliver Postgate does not narrate it (bit hard when you have passed away), but otherwise it is the same. There is more difference between the original series of say Thomas the Tank Engine and the new CGI versions than there is between the series 1/2 and the new series of the Clangers despite the 40 year gap between Vote for Froglet special and the new series.

Oh and there is wrong information about the Vote for Froglet special in the description. There is a suggestion that the episode is "lost". This is complete nonsense, anyone can view it for free on the British Film Institute website, as a simple Google search would tell you.