Please FIX how ads are covering content

Request a website or interface feature.
fearlessleader

Please FIX how ads are covering content

Postby fearlessleader » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:16 am

I can understand the need to get money with ads, but...

(1) Please allocate space at the top and/or sides for the SIZE of ad you're GOING to be displaying. As it is, the screen is displayed and then suddenly things shift around as an ad is inserted. The result being: If you see what you want on the page and click on it -- bzzzt... an advert might have just appeared and you've clicked on the ad instead. Most (all?) banner ads allow you to specify the size ahead of time so you can set your html to leave space for the ad to be filled in.

(2) Ads along the sides actually BLOCK CONTENT! Seriously, on almost every page I display for a show's episodes the ad on the right side is actually covering some of the content.

PLEASE fix these issues.
Thanks

fearlessleader

Re: Please FIX how ads are covering content

Postby fearlessleader » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:09 am

Hello? Anybody there?

emsdallas

Postby emsdallas » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:13 pm

Please help, it's driving me crazy
sanity is a form of conformity

fearlessleader

Postby fearlessleader » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:16 pm

It's a simple addition to the HTML to (a) allocate space at the top for the to-be-loaded ad; and then (b) stop having all TheTVDB info centered and letting the ad-on-the-right cover it up!

jfreiman

Postby jfreiman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:41 pm

YES PLEASE!!! I have been a small time contributor to these pages for user submitted artwork, but have never felt the need to join the forums until today -- I am happy to see that someone else started this topic, as it exactly what I came here to check on; request a change.

I know ads are a necessary 'evil' and I am more than happy to keep my ad block turned off for this website (which I do for most websites), but the problem on thetvdb.com that absolutely drives me crazy is something that was said in a previous post...

ALLOCATE SPACE for the banner ads -- at least for the one at the top!!! I am constantly clicking on a link, only to have the ad appear, the page shift downward, and my click is for something else entirely!

I have tried Edge, Explorer and Chrome and non of them can work around this oversight (the hack you made to your existing website to allow for ads) or load the pages any faster to avoid this problem. It seems the external ad links still takes a second or more longer load then the locally stored pages.

I'm not asking for no ads, and I APPRECIATE that you have avoided the use of pop-up and pop-under ads, etc.. but please consider modifying your pages to allow for more graceful advertisement placement.

Also, the side banners which display over what is normally the episode links, is also annoying. I feel it could auto retract, but until then (or if ever) I'm ok with closing this righ-banner add manually (but it is PAINFUL or near impossible to do on a tablet's touchscreen!) ;)

fearlessleader

Postby fearlessleader » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:39 pm

Another problem with it the way it is...

one (or is it two) tabs gets you to do data entry for the show's name --- unless you've waited too long and the ad is up. THEN, that gets you into the ad since it takes 4-5 tabs after the ad to get to the data entry field.

Please fix this!

Coco
Site Admin

Postby Coco » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:19 am

I don't understand what you're trying to say. The ad this thread was talking about has already been removed. If you want us to look into something else please provide a screen shot.
Please don't PM me. Post in the forums instead unless there is a very good reason for a PM or I won't respond.

fearlessleader

Postby fearlessleader » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:55 am

Coco wrote:I don't understand what you're trying to say. The ad this thread was talking about has already been removed. If you want us to look into something else please provide a screen shot.

"the ad"? There were TWO ads mentioned: (top) and (side). The side ad that covered content is no longer there, but...

The ad at top is still there -- but your html needs to allocate space in the initial load of the page for the ad so that when the ad actually loads, the rest of the content won't shift down causing all sorts of grief to us.