Original Air Dates

Request a website or interface feature.
HogCall

Original Air Dates

Postby HogCall » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:08 pm

So I love what this site is doing, and how it lets apps like TVShow Time help me track what I have watched, what is up next, and when the next episode airs. However, only having one "original air date" is an issue when a show airs in the UK or US, then later airs in the US or UK (or pick any two countries). The app tells me a full season of a given show has aired, yet it hasn't where I am located.

And from what I can tell about the policies here, having a UK version and a US version is not acceptable. Is that correct? If not, then there needs to be a way to have different airdates by country. As a web programmer and database architect, I know what I am asking for is not an easy conversion. But that really *needs* to happen if the show cannot be added twice with their own respective air dates. Then apps could use that country code in the API to pull dates that are correct for the respective users, and show them correct info.

Is it possible to get a change like this?

PS: I did a search for "air dates" to see if a topic like this already exists, but I couldn't find one. If one exists, please let me know. Thanks!

Coco
Site Admin

Re: Original Air Dates

Postby Coco » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:38 am

We've talked about this and it's very unlikely we'll ever do it. It means allowing for hundreds of different air dates. You can't even break it down by country as many countries have different air dates depending on region. It's just not viable for us to do this, it's a lot of complication for very little gain.

If you want accurate air dates for your region link to a TV guide. We will support more remote ID's in the future that will help with this but that's as far as we're planning to go for now.
Please don't PM me. Post in the forums instead unless there is a very good reason for a PM or I won't respond.

HogCall

Postby HogCall » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:51 am

Never heard of one country having different regions with different air dates, so that is an odd one to me. But if users are maintaining the data for you, I wouldn't think that would really matter. It is just how the data is stored, and then the pages themselves to let people edit it. I'm assuming your DB is set up something like this:

Table: Shows (PK: ShowID)
Table: Episodes (PK: EpisodeID; FK: ShowID)

If it went to:

Table: Shows (PK: ShowID)
Table: Episodes (PK: EpisodeID; FK: ShowID)
Table: AirDates (PK: AirDateID; FK: EpisodeID)

Then add RegionID to AirDates. Default it to NULL for "All" and the DB changes could be made right now, even if you don't support multiple regions until a later date. Then the Add/Edit pages could be worked on over time, and the API could optionally accept a RegionID.

Anyway, thought I'd throw that out there because I don't think it would be too hard to do, but I do understand that this may not be full time for you. I just think it would make your feature set that much more robust & complete.

That, or at least allow (UK) & (US) versions of shows to be created, so that they can have their own air dates.

Thanks for responding and considering my ideas.

djcode
Brony
Brony

Postby djcode » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:46 am

In the USA, especially pre-2000, many networks would have full control of when an episode aired. Some markets didn't even air them in the same order.
All PM's will be ignored unless I'm bored, so stop sending them!

HogCall

Postby HogCall » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:47 pm

Personally, I would argue that shows with new episodes today shouldn't be held by standards from pre-2000. If people are using the site to know when the next episode airs -- which to me would be the #1 selling point of your site -- then maintaining that data is important.

Sorry, I don't want to beat a dead horse, just trying to make my case for the relevance because I *do* love what your site offers. :)

DarklightIndigo
Leo of the East Bay

Postby DarklightIndigo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:20 pm

I actually think having distinct tables for different national first airings is an interesting idea for a future update. As it stands right now, I'd say 2.0 is near a release in the next month or two, so this probably won't happen at the moment, but it's definitely something to consider for the future.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

polargeek
The Cat's Ass

Postby polargeek » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:31 am

As Coco said above it's not something that will probably ever happen. First aired in origin country is the goal. We are not a tv guide other services already exist for that
All PM's asking for exceptions, rule changes, series unlocks et al will be ignored.

Return to “Feature Requests”