Ranma 1/2 Blu Ray Release - Episode order problems

reflex

Ranma 1/2 Blu Ray Release - Episode order problems

Postby reflex » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:54 pm

So far as I am aware, Ranma 1/2 never actually aired in the United States. It was only released here on VHS and later a DVD set. The current entry for it is based on the episode order on the original Viz DVD release, and can be found here: http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=76932&lid=7

Unfortunately this is not the production or air order for Japan. Furthermore, Viz is now releasing remastered blu-rays of the series, divided into sets that do not correspond to the 'seasons' in the DVD release, and in the original production order. This is messing up third party apps like Plex that rely on TheTVDB to order episodes.

Normally I would just say to put files in the order of the initial DVD release and call it good. However in this case the BR release is actually correcting an earlier error, one that has plot problems in the series (events are mentioned in episodes before they actually happen due to the DVD's release order). It seems like it would be better to standardize on the actual production date, especially since the series did not ever actually air in the USA and the series is entered purely based off of the DVD episode order.

I considered creating a new entry for the new release, however I thought I should first come here and find out what the process is for getting changes, or if I should just leave it alone entirely. As I have been buying the series as the sets are released, I would be happy to either update the old entry or create a new one, or just let it go. Its up to you guys what you prefer to have happen. I just don't want to do something that upsets everyone.

Thanks for any feedback!

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Re: Ranma 1/2 Blu Ray Release - Episode order problems

Postby hikaricore » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:37 pm

Our season splits are matched from Anime News Network: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... 64&page=25

Honestly anime seasons are pretty much arbitrary and are never matched to disc based releases (at least not purposefully) so we wouln't change them to match a US release to begin with.

Suffice to say I can confirm the following:

1. Ranma's seasons splits won't be changing unless you provide valid reasoning that they should. The show ran pretty much continually in Japan in the late 80s through the early 90s and splits are almost certainly (I haven't watched it in years) based on arc.
2. We won't remove the original entry.
3. We won't allow duplication of the entry to fit the need of any specific user or application. (this includes but is not limited to Plex, Sickbeard, etc.)
4. I've locked the series to prevent any fixing without authorization.

Now, what we can and will be able to do is adjust (if needed) the dvd ordering of the series to the original Japanese release. This may not help you, but that's about all that is going to happen. Even if the dvd order of the original Japanese release was incorrectly arranged, we would still leave the series dvd in the order it was actually released because that's what it's for.

Lastly in the future we will be able to offer alternate arrangements for series on an as needed basis, this however will be on the new site which is in it's final states of production and may still be a ways off.

Take care.

--Aaron

reflex

Postby reflex » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:50 pm

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate you taking the time. Here are my responses -

1) The season splits are almost completely arbitrary to begin with. The one exception is the first 18 episodes which were a separate show that got cancelled and then relaunched. The splits are not based on arc, and several episodes in this arrangement reference things that have not occurred yet because they are out of order.

2) Fair enough

3) Fair enough, this is why I asked first. I used Plex as an example, I did not list it because I expected it to be catered to. This is probably presumptuous because its not my DB, however I assume its meant to be used by others or else it wouldn't have an API and public access. I do not mean this in any way to be combative, I'm just saying it is fair to point to applications of the DB when asking for a change, at least in my opinion.

The solution you suggest is reasonable, the episodes are being released in order of production date, I am assuming that is reasonably close to the air date although I imagine there could be some discrepancies.

Good to hear that alternate orders are going to be permitted. I know the Dr Who fans have unending problems with that series in various media managers. ;)

One final question: The BR release has a number of extras that are not in the earlier releases. Is there any interest in having those added to the Season 0/Specials section of the Ranma entry? If so, what kind of content is permissible, and what kind is not?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new here.

deanzel

Postby deanzel » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:26 pm

Ranma 1/2 aired in a different order in Japan than the BD release's "chronological" order (although it's hard to really tell chronologically even when you watch it).

Due to recent events when the show originally aired in 1989/1990, the planned episodes 14-16 were moved back after episode 27. The blurays moved them back to the originally intented place, resulting in a miss-match between the TV/DVD and BD episode numbers. AniDB uses the original airing order (as does theTVDB) so please don't change them.

And the splits are generally matched with the end of a "large" main arc. I can confirm this as I rewatched this a few months ago.

Also, BD specials shouldn't be included or added. Only add legitimate OVAs, TV specials, etc. It would only add more chaos to a show that has been well established and soundly ordered for so long.

reflex

Postby reflex » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:37 pm

Don't worry, I'm not planning on editing anything unless you guys feel I have something to contribute. I respect the work already done, which is why I started a thread rather than doing my own thing.

Hopefully there is some provision at some point for getting the story correct rather than simply following the release date, but I understand that that is not in scope here. Hopefully custom ordering becomes a thing. :)

deanzel

Postby deanzel » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:09 pm

No problem. I use Plex as well and just redid the numbering a bit for the Season-Episode format with the affected episodes while also keeping the BD numbering on there as well. It doesn't affect too many episodes (just the ones that I pointed out above). I was also dealing with ordered chapters as well with my Plex system so I had to add in a .plexignore file but it was all worth it in the end for BD Ranma goodness :)

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:53 am

To confirm are you saying you edited your local files or our listing prior to the lock? I just want to be sure, because our listing has been correct for a long time.

reflex

Postby reflex » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:31 pm

hikaricore wrote:To confirm are you saying you edited your local files or our listing prior to the lock? I just want to be sure, because our listing has been correct for a long time.

Listing has not been edited by anyone. He used some local editing features of Plex to correct his order.

deanzel

Postby deanzel » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:30 pm

Local files obviously.

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:37 pm

Fair enough, just wanted to check. :)