Sailor Moon (eng dub) yet again (this time with proof!)

acerbius

Sailor Moon (eng dub) yet again (this time with proof!)

Postby acerbius » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:14 am

Hi there!

I hate to be the one to beat a dead horse, but there is still substantial error in the Sailor Moon entry.
This is not opinion this is fact and I have sources (according to your requirements) to prove it.

Just a review of the issue; upon North American release of Sailor Moon original series, the series was picked up by YTV, and later re-aired on Cartoon Network. The North American adaptation involved substantially editing the series. Episodes were cut, names were changed, relationships were modified, content was censored, and even some episodes were rebuilt using scenes from various other episodes (ie, the end of season one was ep#40 in North America, and made up of parts from both ep#45 & 46 of the original anime release). The end result is a pretty different series from that of the original Japanese release.

Considering all of the changes between the original Japanese, and the North American adaptation (not simply a dubbed release) there remains considerable errors in the database on TVDB.com. Those of us whom have the North American series are finding it very difficult to make sense of the errors found when using something like XBMC or Kodi, which grabs off of TVDB.com. It would be very helpful (and also help maintain the great track record TVDB.com has) to create a second Sailor Moon article for specifically the North American dubbed version.

For more info, please see the following references (and pay attention to the mid-90s or DIC release info as that was the North American releases);
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... 63&page=25
http://www.tvrage.com/Sailor_Moon
http://www.tv.com/shows/sailor-moon/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114327/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sa ... n_episodes (I know wikipedia is not preferred, but just good to have as many sources as possible)

If this is not evidence enough of the major differences, then I am not sure why this is even a community based contribution site. Please do either take the time to understand the changes and review my research, or at least just let those of us whom truly know the series make the appropriate adjustments, as this site is in error and the proof is out there. We just want to help make the entries as complete and accurate as possible.

Thanks for your time!
-acerbius

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Re: Sailor Moon (eng dub) yet again (this time with proof!)

Postby DarklightIndigo » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:24 am

We don't do recuts. At all. Period.

Notice that DBZ gets one entry.
Gundam (anything): one entry.
Detective Conan: one entry.
Ghost Files / Yu-Yu-Hakusho: uno.
Yu-Gi-Oh: Okay, two, but that's only because TWO different series aired on two different networks simultaneously.

My point being, we only allow a single cut of the series in question, and for Sailor Moon (at least), it's going to be the original cut, not DiCk Entertainments hatchet job (although I'll give the voice actresses their props, they did damn fine with what they were given - like half-drowning Sean Connery, then telling him to act out the entirety of Hamlet in an afternoon).
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

acerbius

Postby acerbius » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:22 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.
It is a shame there is not a way that the database entries could not contain both the JAP and ENG versions.
I have tried using the other "Scrapers" in XBMC / KODI, and they either give me the same results or they fail to connect and abort.
I really wish there was a way to solve this as I am left with the only option to remove Sailor Moon from my XBMC / KODI library (since the info does not line up, many episodes do not even show up in the list).

If you would have any suggestions as to a solution I could create so that I can maintain the entry in my library (even with minimum info) I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
-a

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby DarklightIndigo » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:26 pm

If you give me a couple days I can probably make some decent NFO files. Other than that, it's pretty much limited to that godawful file manager.

acerbius

Postby acerbius » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:49 pm

That would be very helpful!
I don't necessarily care about all of the graphics (unless there is a way I can make that work on my own).
I would just like to be able to use the series in XBMC/KODI with some level of detail.
Much appreciated, and I know I wouldn't be the only one.

Thanks!
~a

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby DarklightIndigo » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:54 pm

Well, the larger issue, is that DiC repackaged several of the sequel series under the generic Sailor Moon title of the first series. So, knowing that, are you looking for clarity on Season 1, or the entire franchise?

acerbius

Postby acerbius » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:46 am

Not entirely sure. Looking at the IMDB.com or TV.com entry, that looks to be what I have found. I currently have about 80+ episodes. Would there be a tutorial somewhere to teach me how to create the proper NFO file for it all? I have no problem doing the work, just need to know how the work is done.

Thanks!
~a

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby DarklightIndigo » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:43 pm

It's not even a question of how much work it is, it's a matter of matching the right episodes to their moronic repackaging. At least their set direction was competent. :lol:

acerbius

Postby acerbius » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:37 pm

Yeah, whatever site I grabbed it from had packaged them as per the YTV release, which info is identical on both TV.com & Wikipedia.org (amongst others ). I am happy they are at least in some common order, unlike my collection of Animaniacs and Adventure Time, which are both just a disaster (gonna have to do an episode by episode comparison with TheTVDB.com listings.

spikesforu

Postby spikesforu » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:43 pm

Hello Everyone, reason for my post is that I have the Sailor Moon English DUB edition on Plex which is like KODI. When I try to match my series with what is provided, which comes out of thetvdb, Im getting different episodes. So I looked in thetvdb and noticed that nobody has created a page for it. So I started to create one called Sailor Moon DUB but as I keep reading through these forums I got a feeling it going to get deleted. Can anybody confirm on this? Thanks.