Kamisama Minarai: Himitsu no Cocotama (299536) & Kirakira Happy★Hirake! Cocotama (355541)

Finally, a forum dedicated to minimizing duplicate series entries!
Forum rules
Duplicates - Users may merge duplicates themselves. Copy data and images to the LOWEST ID of the duplicate. Add links and your request will be done really really quickly
purposelycryptic

Kamisama Minarai: Himitsu no Cocotama (299536) & Kirakira Happy★Hirake! Cocotama (355541)

Postby purposelycryptic » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:50 pm

Hi, and thanks for taking the time to read this :)

I started adding episodes of the new season of Kamisama Minarai: Himitsu no Cocotama (299536), because it had not yet been added, but then discovered that somebody had already given the season its own series entry - Kirakira Happy★Hirake! Cocotama (355541), albeit not having updated it in quite a while: there are 23 episode entries, and the series is currently at episode 43, with up to episode 55 already scheduled to air (syoboi,jp), and showing little sign of stopping.

While it is true that, like with most anime, this season was given a new series name, it is a part of the existing series, and uses the same official websites (it is a joint project between TV Tokyo and Bandai - TV Tokyo's official Cocotama site, Bandai's official Cocotama site), both of which are linked to on the Syoboi TV Calendar for the current series/season, and both of which are full of content and announcements for the franchise in general. The same official Twitter account is also used for both (@anime_cocotama). AllCinema links to the TV Tokyo page for the initial series/season (AllCInema), and the Bandai page for the sequel/second season (AllCinema). While I know it is not a favorite source here, AniDB's entries for both series/seasons also link to the both official sites (First Season, second season). Similarly, they are listed as entries of the same series on Wikipedia (en1, en2, jp).

Its a kids show, and the series is part of a larger Toy and Multimedia franchise targeted at young girls, and while I have no interest in the series itself, I do have a strong interest in the TVDB remaining as internally consistent as possible, so that the chaos that dominated anime series for so long doesn't return. If there is an easy way to merge the second season entry's episodes into the original entry, or if anyone feels there is a compelling reason for not doing so, please let me know.

Thanks in advance! :)

rev.pragon

Re: Kamisama Minarai: Himitsu no Cocotama (299536) & Kirakira Happy★Hirake! Cocotama (355541)

Postby rev.pragon » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:36 am

You can add the Infos to the Show of cource and then we will delete the other Entry. We don´t have Bulk Tools to do it at the Moment. It happens from Time to Time that Users add a Season as a Show. It happened with the Monogatari Series at the Past too. Someone added every Season as one single Show.
No Support via PN. Read the Rules.

We DON´T delete Pictures on Episodes on the current Site. Provide Images and a Mod/Admin will replace it.

purposelycryptic

Re: Kamisama Minarai: Himitsu no Cocotama (299536) & Kirakira Happy★Hirake! Cocotama (355541)

Postby purposelycryptic » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:39 pm

I'll see what I can do, but it might be a while, as I'm currently fairly seriously ill, and spend most of my time divided between various medical appointments and lying half-unconscious in bed.

I was hoping the existing episode child-elements could be copied over in the back-end DB, then the parent series-entry wiped, but I suppose giving even Mods that level of access could potentially lead to abuse (even with good intentions). I knew it was possible intra-series, between seasons, so I had hoped it would be the same inter-series, but no luck I guess.

Is there any way of doing this sort of thing outside of the website UI (like an API-based tool)? The web UI just requires so many steps to add multiple episodes, and no way to populate fields based on local data, which is... well, a lot of minute, repetitive work for back-adding 40-some episodes (and I can't even imagine the patience someone must have to add an entire older long-running series that way... Now that is dedication).

I guess that may also be the point, though, as it makes vandalism require a lot more effort, in which case having an efficient tool would mean also handing an efficient weapon to vandals. And that's why we can't have nice things...

It's funny you should mention someone adding the Monogatari series as individual entries - I actually only stumbled on this series while adding/updating mappings between AniDB and TheTVDB for the Summer 2019 anime season on the AnimeLists project on GitHub (you try to stick to just the new additions, but somehow inevitably end up adding/fixing mappings for an equal number of older series as well...). The Monogatari franchise is kind of infamous for the organizational nightmare it represents on AniDB as well, and the not-infrequent changes made to episode relations and order in the months after airing have made it quite a pain to keep the mappings updated as well. Great series, but it seems to create organizational issues everywhere.

Mistywing

Postby Mistywing » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:04 pm

There's no way to move episodes between series or adding them automatically based on data such as csv files or otherwise through the API.

At best, we can move the main page pictures (And actors, but none exist.) It probably was never considered as a feature before recently.

For Monogatari I'm hoping the coming alternate ordering method will allow us some flexibility as the aired order is strict and the disc release order will just not match up to anyone's expectations by nature.

But it's still going to be a mess, because it's Monogatari. I wouldn't expect it to remain a stable order if we go with a flexible approach.

purposelycryptic

Postby purposelycryptic » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:58 am

Thanks for the additional info, Mistywing :-)

RE: Monogatari, I think the series is just cursed, and any metadata for it will continue to be in flux for centuries, even after the series itself has long been forgotten. Even if there is no one left around to edit it, it will just edit itself.

I have the metadata on my server for the franchise firmly locked, and am now just waiting for the storm the next entry will bring (because, despite having not one, but two series with "Owari" (Literally: "End") in the title, there is still more Light Novel content to be adapted...).