National Geographic Documentaries

Series that require continual maintenance and / or aggressive cleanup.
DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:38 am

THEN LINK TO NAT GEO YOU FUCKING TOOL!

If you're going to call me a liar, to my face, when I call you out on your bullshit, you can fuck right off. I've packing to do, and your dumb shit is wasting my valuable time.

Would you feel better about wasting my time if I charged you for the experience?
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.
Scrugio

Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:29 am

First i would like to Say Hi being New Here

I would like to say when i first saw the Nat Geo Series being in Years i was a little confused.
but after looking at how the series is done it is by far the best way to work the season. It also appears alot of work has gone into organising the series itself.

being new i am a little confused however would like to ask why sub series whereyou have years are not seperated into their own Season.
so you have your general single episodes organised in years. and ones that have several episodes and or seasons organised into their own Seasons as well
1978, 1979, 1982, 1982 Kayak, 1983, 1983 Kayak, 1984

This is just a suggestion for what appears to be a very complicated series that has both single episodes and sub series episodes.
Years would have single episodes, subseries are categorised into years and series name then u could effectively have all of nat geo in 1 place ?

feel free to send hate mail my way im just putting an idea forward
Again great work so far.
manekineko
Goddess of Documentaries

Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:09 pm

On first reading it sounds intriguing, however no series scraper would parse the structure you suggest.
"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views."
-- Doctor Who, The Face of Evil
furby
Site Moderator

Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:38 am

That's actually something you can (of sorts) do on the current site.

Achievement Hunter being an example.
The episodes are listed in years (aired order) but the sub shows are separated using the DVD order.

Few problems with this depending on what you want to achieve but, somewhat of an option.
Please link to the series/episode page and your sources. Wikipedia is NOT a valid source.
jerry7171

Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:32 pm

Hello,

I'm something of a lurker here as everyone generally does a superb job of keeping the TVDB house tidy, but I'm running into a question of where to put several National Geographic documentaries from the early years.

The first one is: Avalanche: The White Death http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/dvds/animals-and-nature/nature-and-environment/avalanche%3A-the-white-death-dvd-r & http://www.emmys.com/shows/avalanche-white-death-national-geographic-sp

The next one would be: Born of Fire http://www.nytimes.com/movies/movie/64974/National-Geographic-Born-of-Fire/overview

The last would be: Cyclone! http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/dvds/science-and-space/cyclone--video & http://www.nytimes.com/movies/movie/200735/National-Geographic-Cyclone-/overview

If they are actually listed, please pardon my idiocy. I've looked all over TVDB trying to think of every permutation of National Geographic naming scheme possible to find them, but without success. I'm probably not the first, nor will be the last, to shake my head and wonder what kind of passive-aggression National Geographic is doing when they take the same material and repeatedly package it under different names, causing mass confusion to people who just want to put their video libraries into order? ;)

I even crossed my fingers using Filebot & iVI hoping they'd have better luck, but no dice. I suspect I still might have more National Geographic documentaries that fail to show up in PLEX for the same reason as these. Does anyone have any other ideas on how I might search for episodes when I'm uncertain about the naming convention they'd be listed under here at TVDB? Every time I think I have it down, I get a new curveball thrown at me.
manekineko
Goddess of Documentaries

Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:10 am

jerry7171 wrote:Hello,

I'm something of a lurker here as everyone generally does a superb job of keeping the TVDB house tidy, but I'm running into a question of where to put several National Geographic documentaries from the early years.

The first one is: Avalanche: The White Death http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/dvds/animals-and-nature/nature-and-environment/avalanche%3A-the-white-death-dvd-r & http://www.emmys.com/shows/avalanche-white-death-national-geographic-sp

1998 - not listed.

1983 - not listed.

1995 - not listed.
I'll try and put them in soon. If I forget feel free to remind me by posting here.

If they are actually listed, please pardon my idiocy. I've looked all over TVDB trying to think of every permutation of National Geographic naming scheme possible to find them, but without success. I'm probably not the first, nor will be the last, to shake my head and wonder what kind of passive-aggression National Geographic is doing when they take the same material and repeatedly package it under different names, causing mass confusion to people who just want to put their video libraries into order? ;)

Welcome to my world. It took me years to get NatGeo Documentaries as far as we have it now. Which does not mean that it is complete in any way, shape or form.

I even crossed my fingers using Filebot & iVI hoping they'd have better luck, but no dice. I suspect I still might have more National Geographic documentaries that fail to show up in PLEX for the same reason as these. Does anyone have any other ideas on how I might search for episodes when I'm uncertain about the naming convention they'd be listed under here at TVDB? Every time I think I have it down, I get a new curveball thrown at me.

I try to find out the name that was used when it originally aired. Lots of research involved. NatGeos own website is totally useless, so I have to dig deeper and rely on my google-fu ...
"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views."
-- Doctor Who, The Face of Evil
gtomlinson

Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:26 am

Would like to add the following:
1. Either as s00e01 (season locked) or s1995e01 (season locked) "30 Years of National Geographic Specials" IMDB link
2. s2002e05 (season locked) "Lewis & Clark: Great Journey West" IMDB link

If someone can unlock those seasons, I can add.
ClearBlueSky85

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:53 am

manekineko wrote:
sevimo wrote:I just checked the 2010 season, and I have a couple of questions. So what has happened with these episodes:

- Prostitution: The Oldest Trade was a duplcate of http://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&ser ... 9051&lid=7

Veng3r wrote:I'm just passing on what manekineko taught me. Google is your friend and from that search you can see that "Prostitution: The Oldest Trade" is part of Taboo. You're probably looking for this episode?

How is "Prostitution: The Oldest Trade" part of "Taboo"? Google search leads to DocuWiki Prostitution: the oldest trade The title credits say nothing at all about "Taboo"

When I click on your link it points to "Taboo" S07 E01 "Beauty" which is not the same

Where is your Google search evidence that "Prostitution: The Oldest Trade" is the same as "Taboo" S07 E01 "Beauty"?

I think that "Prostitution: The Oldest Trade" needs to be added back to "National Geographic Documentaries" Season 2010
DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:49 pm

It probably WAS, but Taboo has been reorganised many times since 2010.
http://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&ser ... 8981&lid=7
Is the most likely candidate.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.
Sandcrab

Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:20 pm

National Geographic - Destination Space "A National Geographic Special"
Copyright 2000 NGT, Inc.
Aired 31 July 2000
96 min
Producer John Rubin
Editors James Ohm, Dicran H. Manoogian, John Neuburger
Writer Timothy Dillworth
Narrator Mike Pengra
With: Dr. Charles Krauthammer, MD, Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson, Ph.D., Astronomer Seth Shostak

"Cross the threshold of the final frontier as mankind embarks on the greatest adventure of all time: space travel. From heroic space pioneers to modern-day cliff-hanger missions, it’s a thrilling look at humanity’s quest to conquer space."

"Are we ever going to leave this rock we call Earth? National Geographic's Destination Space looks at our prospects for space exploration and colonization, starting with Apollo 11 and reporting on 30 years of research and missions. Through archival footage; interviews with astronauts, astronomers, and earthbound folks whose fascination fuels the public's rekindled enthusiasm; and computer graphics modeling the future lives of space travelers, we find a new optimism that is irresistibly infectious. When Neil DeGrasse Tyson talks about sipping a martini while looking down at Earth or Shannon Lucid describes the sheer fun of living weightlessly, it's hard not to smile and wonder what the next generation holds. This confidence is well supported by technological reality; for every Challenger disaster and Mars orbiter loss, we've had hundreds of successful but less-reported missions. This literally uplifting video is followed by a shorter but even more hopeful program: A View of Mars. Interviews with NASA Administrator Daniel S. Goldin and other boosters, more slick computer graphics, and footage from prior Mars missions make the prospect of imminent exploration and not-too-distant human arrival real and exciting. Even cynics will find themselves ready to pack after viewing. --Rob Lightner"