Grand Designs

Series that require continual maintenance and / or aggressive cleanup.
dajvid

Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:46 am

Hi etw,

If the decision to put "revisited" episodes into the "original" episode's season, then the current locked Season 10 doesn't abide by this decision with the listed episodes 9, 10 and special "revisited" episodes. I'm happy to follow this decision (I don't even know who made this decision) but the current locked season 10 listing doesn't even abide by this decision. Can you fix this season for consistency with this decision.

Thank you for the reference of approved episode list resources. Here's a link to an approved episode list of Season 10:

http://www.tvrage.com/Grand_Designs/episode_list/10

This link also lists 14 episodes which matches what is listed on my original Wikipedia link.

Kind regards,
Dave.
etw
Site Moderator

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:00 am

To be honest, not quite sure what you mean here. We have them listed based on matching to the orignal, so for example there were 14 episodes that many sources sources class as season 10, but of 6 were revisited episodes. These have been placed at the end of the relevant seasons of the originals, so TV Rage's 10x13 is listed here as 1x16 as the non-revisited episode was aired in season 1.

Fyi another post I made about the decision: http://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?p=30164#p30164 The new site (No ETA) will list both the current method and an alternative where the revisited episodes are listed alongside the standard episodes season they aired with. Two of the main reasons was that there was no clear/easy way of doing it, and Channel 4 started moving them out of their Grand Designs listing into a separate Grand Designs Revisited listing (which is still far from complete) and if we do follow their move at a later date to match how we treat QI/QI XL and Have I Got News for You/Have I Got a Bit More News For You then we would have to renumber all the non-revisited episodes affected by removing mid-season Revisited episodes.
dajvid

Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:54 am

Sorry etw, I now understand episodes 9 and 10 in Season 10 come from the screened Season 11 (which I haven't caught up with yet), so everything makes sense. Everything in order as I can see.

Thanks for your clarification on the organisation of the series.

Kind regards,
Dave.
jamver

Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:56 pm

What an absolute mess!

Is there a complete mapping of the DVD listed episodes mapped to this list somewhere? I think that might be the closest we could come to a canonical mapping from source/publisher to practical/usable list.
etw
Site Moderator

Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:09 pm

jamver wrote:What an absolute mess!

Is there a complete mapping of the DVD listed episodes mapped to this list somewhere? I think that might be the closest we could come to a canonical mapping from source/publisher to practical/usable list.
Not sure if that's serious post, a spam one or a semi-troll one. I'll treat it as serious though:

1) It's not a mess, it may not be how you like but the current Grand Designs listing follows a set of rules . There is nothing incorrect about the content of the list and we're matched as closely as we can we Channel 4 given the issues with their listings (All the episodes are listed, with correct air dates, all valid specials are listed, the only bone of contention is the positioning of the Revisited Episodes which have been discussed thoroughly already in this thread).
2) If you want to debate anything that's not been debated before or if Channel 4 have fixed their listings (not checked myself for a few months) I'm happy to
3) If anyone has the dvd's and is willing to post screenshots/photos of the order, or has a link to a reputable online shop that lists an order I'm happy to add these
jamver

Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:58 pm

R1) Sorry, the mess to which I referred wasn't the solution found, but rather the whole situation regarding this show and Channel 4's treatment of it! Sorry for any offence you may have taken.

R3) I'll see if I can find some pictures for you.
etw
Site Moderator

Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:08 pm

Ah in that case sorry for jumping the gun. I'm so used to people who don't take the time to read why it's locked making comments about locked series I jumped the gun.

If you do have access to a dvd listing that'd be great. iirc last time I searched the net the best I could find was listings but on order for some dvds and nothing for others.
sphyre

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:43 pm

Who made the decision to put the revisited episodes in the season containing the original (unrevisited) episode? Unlike some of the other more controversial decisions on this site, this one isn't even backed up by an official listing. It's arbitrary and nonsensical, as shown by a season consisting of episodes first aired in 2006 and then one in 2011.

Grouping by air date leads to a very natural order (seasons consisting of about ~6 new houses and ~4 revisits with a years break inbetween), but that makes too much sense, doesn't it?
etw
Site Moderator

Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:31 am

That would be me (before and after became a mod), after trying to get consensus on the best of a bad bunch of options.

As you can see from the grand designs listings on C4 they are a complete mess, with episodes missing, completely mis-numbered between the url and the title etc. The reason they were organised the way they are now is due to C4 starting to list revisited as a separate season at the time we were looking at this so the thinking was that if they actually completed it we could easily move them over without messing up the numbering as some revisited's have been shown between normal episodes iirc. The reason I've left this thread here rather than in completed was as a reminder to me so that once the new site is complete and if C4 haven't sorted their lists by then I'll add the order you're referring to as an alternative.

In the mean time I'm happy to add this as the dvd order with the *big warning* note that if someone comes along with actual dvd listings this will replace the 'fake' dvd listing.
(Pages 2-4 of this thread cover the various suggestions and logic used)
rufus001

Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:12 am

Howdy! The latest Grand Designs Revisited has been entered as S10E10 instead of S10E11, thereby creating two S10E10's. Would you please change it when you get a chance? Ta!!!