Pokémon series - attention needed.

Series that require continual maintenance and / or aggressive cleanup.
ByteShare
Site Moderator

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:09 am

andcbii wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:22 am
I'm not sure why the mods are so reluctant to re-order the series. The site rules clearly state that the series should follow the official website listing of seasons/episodes.
"Is intentional with legacy ordering right now." Because it has been that way for a long time now and it would affect a lot of users which have adopted TheTVDB order as well.
With the new site we'll be able to keep the legacy ordering and add other alternative orders.
divmehz

Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:29 pm

Hey Mods, Any chance this series can be unlocked so we can make the adjustments from Season 14 onwards? Both total episode numbers are incorrect but also episode titles are missing.
divmehz

Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:38 pm

Notice in another post we needed to link to the series - https://www.thetvdb.com/series/pokemon

Confirming i believe V3 of the website just recently went live?
ByteShare
Site Moderator

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:29 am

divmehz wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:38 pm
Notice in another post we needed to link to the series - https://www.thetvdb.com/series/pokemon

Confirming i believe V3 of the website just recently went live?
Yes, V3 is live.
divmehz wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:29 pm
Hey Mods, Any chance this series can be unlocked so we can make the adjustments from Season 14 onwards? Both total episode numbers are incorrect but also episode titles are missing.
I'm trying to think of the base case for a 4th season listing as the Official order, DVD, and Absolute order wouldn't make sense to be changed.
The 4th season listing would need to be based on something that wouldn't invoke confusion or people fighting about the order. Ideas?
divmehz

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:54 pm

Im unsure why you meantion that the offical order wouldn't make sense to be changed considering the offical source for the episode content is listed as differing from the TVDB listing.

See - https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-epis ... season-14/

A 4th season listing, isnt needed, and you are correct a base isnt warranted, essentially the current listings, based on the offical sources are incorrect.
Not just the number of episodes per season, but the fact the titles of said episodes are missing, highlights the need for adjustment does it not?
divmehz

Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:43 pm

Right but based on those links there shouldnt be any more then 8 series based on your first link, unless im missing something?
The archive only shows 3 series - from what i can appear to navigate, so this also doesnt line up with the current 19 Season offering listed on the website.

Granted im google translating the pages as i don't read japanese, so its possible I am missing something.

Also there are no adjustments made despite potential catalog reshuffles? Just looking to confirm, that TVDB is a historical point in time database (original air date), and not a current live representation - as ill cease using TVDB via Sonarr, if thats the case and just manually manage the content.

Maybe thats the base for a 4th listing, Current Retail Listing or something of that like?
Mistywing
Site Moderator

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:40 pm

Usually we follow the listing in the country of origin. Had we done that for Pokemon, we would probably have 9 seasons now. I say probably only because it's the past and not because I'm not sure about our rule on the country of origin (just clarifying.)

But we didn't. I believe that for Pokemon specifically, it was separated by leagues and following the American format.
At some point, we have adjusted back to the Japanese format, hence why S&M is one whole block (just as it is on the Japanese website now) for example.

I personally think that to satisfy everyone Pokemon would need a Japanese and an American order, but the new site only supports one alternate order for now, and we are forced to select Japanese between the two.

It's a bit of a difficult situation, but I am of the opinion that we should rework the ordering separately from the chimera we have now in a clean way.

However we can't touch what we have now because alterations will definitely cause chaos down the line for every user. Please understand this crucial point, as it's essentially for your benefit (and everyone else's.)

----
The web archive is just there to show that there's a historical precedent to the ordering method that has been kept mostly consistently through the various versions of the official Pokemon Japanese website.