NOVA Episode numbering issues

Series that require continual maintenance and / or aggressive cleanup.
DarklightIndigo
Leo of the East Bay
Posts: 6577
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:16 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: NOVA Episode numbering issues

Postby DarklightIndigo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:25 pm

Where do you get this from?

Literally the only reason TVguide would've been preferred here, was precisely because PBS didn't have any episode numbers listed. I don't see how it's in any way a contradiction to prefer more data, or how a network saying "this is how it's always been" as a matter of clarification is comparable to "this is how it's always been" when archived episode numbers demonstrably prove such wrong.

A demonstrable lack of data is not the same as demonstrably inaccurate data.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

bwieg92
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:26 am

Re: NOVA Episode numbering issues

Postby bwieg92 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:44 pm

It's been a while since I last posted in this topic, but I wanted to come back and thank all involved in getting this updated to match the official data that is currently available from PBS. There was definitely a ton of work involved to get tens of seasons fixed and the effort is appreciated.

JesusSmith
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:44 pm

Re: NOVA Episode numbering issues

Postby JesusSmith » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:48 pm

DarklightIndigo wrote:Literally the only reason TVguide would've been preferred here, was precisely because PBS didn't have any episode numbers listed.


Yes, this is my exact point. PBS didn't publish episode numbers at the time of airing so TV Guide was the preferred source. Now PBS has added episode numbers that are different than the originally preferred source and the listing is being updated to reflect that which is revisionism.

Again, it makes sense, but moderators here are typically against sane revisions like this. It's actually refreshing to see.

654456
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:48 pm

Re: NOVA Episode numbering issues

Postby 654456 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:30 pm

JesusSmith wrote:
654456 wrote:We got an email back from Nova on page two that confirms the corrected numbering is right. This is further backed up by their production code. They may have just added numbering to the site but it seems like they have been using the corrected numbering internally for a while.


Production codes very often conflict with aired season/episode number so that part of your argument holds no weight at all.

It's still revisionism. PBS didn't publish episode numbers so we were using TV Guide as a source. Now PBS has started publishing numbers but they contradicted what TV Guide historically had. So revisionism.

654456 wrote:It's also makes more sense to match the numbering to the official source otherwise episodes that you record will be miss matched to the episode name.


Sorry, this comment doesn't make any sense to me. If you number it wrong it will missmatch? No kidding? Again, there were no numbers on the "official" source when they aired. (I assume you mean PBS? but that couldn't have been the official source since they didn't publish episode numbers at the time of airing which is what this website is concerned with.) That made TV Guide the official source according to this site's rules.

So renumbering is revisionism. It actually makes sense to do it, but the moderators here give people shit for doing it all the time so it's sort of funny to see it being done here with the help of moderators.


I am saying the old numbering broke DVR's as you had to go in manually renumber them to match since the local PBS station was sending out the corrected numbering so revisionism aside it's much better to match the official source now that it exist than to leave it broken.

JesusSmith
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:44 pm

Re: NOVA Episode numbering issues

Postby JesusSmith » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:32 pm

654456 wrote:I am saying the old numbering broke DVR's as you had to go in manually renumber them to match since the local PBS station was sending out the corrected numbering so revisionism aside it's much better to match the official source now that it exist than to leave it broken.


I guess, if you ignore or don't care about this website's rules about revisionism. Let's update all the History & Discovery Channel shows to match their websites while we're at it, since moderators seem to be on board with revisionism. There's a lot of shows that need to be "fixed."

It really seems like you're either not reading or don't understand the comments you're responding to.

654456
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:48 pm

Re: NOVA Episode numbering issues

Postby 654456 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:32 pm

JesusSmith wrote:
654456 wrote:I am saying the old numbering broke DVR's as you had to go in manually renumber them to match since the local PBS station was sending out the corrected numbering so revisionism aside it's much better to match the official source now that it exist than to leave it broken.


I guess, if you ignore or don't care about this website's rules about revisionism. Let's update all the History & Discovery Channel shows to match their websites while we're at it, since moderators seem to be on board with revisionism. There's a lot of shows that need to be "fixed."

It really seems like you're either not reading or don't understand the comments you're responding to.


I am down with fixing everything that is broken. I would like my DVR to work so it would make sense to match what each channel is numbering the episode. This is the first time I have had an issue with this site's numbering and the mods have fixed it. As for other issues and mods not fixing it I don't know about it.

DarklightIndigo
Leo of the East Bay
Posts: 6577
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:16 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: NOVA Episode numbering issues

Postby DarklightIndigo » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:17 pm

Fucking hell, Jesus, thanks for this.

You know full well that PBS isn't Scripps, and not once have they changed their position. Should we stay current with that, or just let data be stale based on...?

This is a fantastic birthday present, though, so thanks for that.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.