Changes to split-cour anime

Series that require continual maintenance and / or aggressive cleanup.
DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Re: Changes to split-cour anime

Postby DarklightIndigo » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:43 pm

I should clarify that I believe these two series should have separate seasons, as the broadcasters don't seem to acknowledge any breaks whatsoever, and that I'm genuinely interested in hearing the justifications for reverting BOTH the single season AND the multiple seasons.

We should agree on one approach in this case, not rely on subterfuge and quietly reverting each other without discussion. Personally, I don't care which way this goes, but the divisive back-and-forth over a relatively menial issue is going to stop.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

NMe

Postby NMe » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:52 pm

DarklightIndigo wrote:Basically, in these two cases, I'm in favour of the splits as it doesn't seem that the broadcasters intend to acknowledge arc notation, but I'm not going to say that "split-cour" is an invalid concept on the whole.

I'm not going to say that is an invalid concept but it's a downright confusing one that has been causing both you and me a lot of extra work because many people don't know about the rule and even when they do anime is simply too confusing to work like this. It's easier to simply go for the old-fashioned cour = season rule just because it's the path of least resistance and should cause less reverting back and forth.

A database's value is directly dependent on its stability and while I get that changes are sometimes unavoidable, IMO it's important to avoid situations where they become likely.

sp1ti

Postby sp1ti » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:52 pm

can someone delete S2 of Cinderella Girls? http://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seri ... 9099&lid=7 (established as splitcour in the OP)

diogomatsumoto

Postby diogomatsumoto » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:36 pm

ManiacB wrote:In recent years, anime studios have begun to air some series in what is known as a "split cour" format. This is where half of the series is aired one season, followed by a break (typically one season), followed by the second half. Up until recently, we have typically treated each "cour" as its own season on TheTVDB, however after some internal discussion and in an effort to apply consistent policies across as many series as possible, series like this will now be treated as a single season.

We already treat other, non-anime series in this way, although they are typically referred to as mid-season breaks instead. Some examples of this some seasons of Breaking Bad, Futurama, South Park, Mad Men, and many more.

Another telling fact is that the official sites for most of these split-cour series list the episodes as 1-24, further reinforcing that this was always a single "season" with a broadcast break midway through.

I have made retroactive changes to some anime series that I personally know aired in a split-cour format. Please post below if I have missed any and I will make the changes.

Series Changed
Fate/Zero (S2 merged into S1)
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (S2 merged into S1)
Durarara (S3 merged into S2)
Jormungand (S2 merged into S1)
Space Dandy (S2 merged into S1)
Aldnoah.Zero (S2 merged into S1)
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) (S3 merged into S2)
The [email protected] Cinderella Girls (S2 merged into S1)
Mushishi (S3 merged into S2) - This one was done a while ago
Black Lagoon (S2 merged into S1)

Series Not Changed
For these series, the episode numbering (both on the episodes themselves and the official site), TV schedule information and several other resources all consider the second half to be a second season in its own right.
Chaika the Coffin Princess
Silver Spoon

I will leave this post as a sticky for a few weeks, after which time any further changes can be requested in the normal manner.

I don't think that the series Black Lagoon is presented correctly, there are 3 seasons, in this case it could't be splitted in 3 seasons instead only one, and with the special episodes it mixed up...
So, if it's something you understand that is correct and you can't split, can you please merge the third season with the other (it's make more sense, right?) ? I believe it'll be more easy to the users.

Thanks

rev.pragon
Trusted Translator

Postby rev.pragon » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:18 am

what about The Ancient Magus' Bride?
there are 2 entries: http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=316842&lid=7
#2: http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=330240

the first one showing the 3 ova´s, the second one is the series. wouldn´t it be better change the first one´s ova´s into specials (1-3) and then makeing a season 1 and delete #2?

src ova: http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?sh ... &aid=11982
src series: http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?sh ... &aid=12942

sry i see the specials are already listed so the second entry could be deleted imho.

Mistywing

Postby Mistywing » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:27 am

rev.pragon wrote:what about The Ancient Magus' Bride?
I think that should've been posted to the duplicates section rather than here. A split cour factor isn't really applicable in this case, rather it's someone not only creating a duplicate entry but also uploading art from the first entry on it.

rev.pragon
Trusted Translator

Postby rev.pragon » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:43 am

that was what i intend before but wasn´t sure if there´s any agreement. but i see the second one deleted so it´s done.

M0UL

Postby M0UL » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:01 am

somebody added season 2 to Bungo stray dogs (https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=305075&lid=7), those episodes are already list as season 01.

alltimemarr

Postby alltimemarr » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:48 pm

Shouldn't this series "second" season be moved into the first season too?
https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=seasonall&id=304106&lid=7

Official website uses continuous numbering, and second season aired almost half a year after first season.

alltimemarr

Postby alltimemarr » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:55 pm

Oh, I just noticed this one (BBK/BRNK) has been mentioned before (and that it should be split cour, one season), but it seems to have been put into two seasons again? Why not with Cinderella Girls for example?

(Too late to edit my post, cry :()