BBC Documentaries OR BBC Music

Series that require continual maintenance and / or aggressive cleanup.
krjtx

Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:50 pm

We have two "shows" for one-off documentaries and music shows from the BBC. These are BBC Documentaries and BBC Music.

I am looking for some guidance on how we should classify programs in to the correct category, as I have started to see shows being added in both and therefore duplicated. Good recent example are:

1. The Story of Funk: One Nation Under a Groove (a documentary about the history of funk music)
2. The Genius of Funk (a compilation of clips from funk artists).

Would it be correct to put the first under 'BBC Documentaries' and the second under 'BBC Music' or should they both go under 'BBC Music' or some other combination.

Hopefully someone can clarify and we can start to clean-up if needed.

thanks for your help.
abarbatano

Tue May 12, 2015 6:30 pm

Further to the above, there has been a new series created named "Music Specials" which sees some of these episodes appearing in triplicate!

Who can make the definitive call on these episodes and which is their official series? :?:

Thanks. :)
audio_elf

Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:26 am

And as another further to the above...

There is also some short series such as Brit Pop at the BBC which have their own "series" created which fit well within BBC Music (or Music Specials or BBC Documentaries) so in some cases there are quadriplicates (not sure thats a word). And also there is Radio 2 in Concert while some Radio 2 broadcasts are also in BBC Music.

To my mind there is not an issue with three separate "series" (BBC Documentaries, BBC Music and Music Specials) there just needs to be guidance.

My thinking would be programmes ABOUT musicians (predominantly biographical) should be separate from programmes which are predominantly performances. The former can either be separate from BBC Documentaries or could just be part of the same "series".

As a related aside, could there perhaps be a facility to add some notes to the home page for for a series, visible by contributors which could describe the kinds of programmes with should or shouldn't fit in a series.
audio_elf

Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:32 am

Just as another thought and addition to the above, I found there is also "BBC Comedy"; another thing where there could be duplicated or shows in Documentaries would have a better home here ... perhaps (for example)

http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesi ... 4837&lid=7 (Frankie Boyle's Referendum Autopsy)
should be in BBC Comedy (and I'm sure there are other similar examples).

Perhaps (as a general rule) there should be a series of "BBC xxxx" series (BBC Documentaries, BBC Music, BBC Comedy, BBC Drama) and the simple rule is that a show should not be in more than one BBC xxxx series.

There are even things like http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=97121&lid=7 that could arguably just be part of BBC Music?