The Bible / The Lost Room

Series that require continual maintenance and / or aggressive cleanup.
hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

The Bible / The Lost Room

Postby hikaricore » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:28 pm

Since these shows have both been getting a lot of attention lately due to the same "issue" (for you, not really us) affecting both titles I thought I'd give you all a quick rundown on the various reasons you think these should be listed incorrectly and why they of course will not be.

1. "I see them on my dvd/bluray with 10 or 6 episodes.
Oh, really, that's cool. It's interesting that you should mention disc based releases, because we are TheTVDb as in the primary listing pertains to the televised release for said series. The fact that some series are released in alternate numberings and orderings through other mediums does not escape us, however when the number of episodes overall differs from the official listing there is nothing we can do with the current site. While it's easy enough for us to allow split episodes which were later merged, it won't work the other way around and that's that. The listings are correct as is and the dvd/bluray version is unable to be entered due to the current site functionality.
2. "This random website isn't a valid/official source and I don't care, but shows it differently"
We have a set list of sources in order of allowability listed here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9271 As you can see the official site trumps all other listings and the current official website for The Bible ( http://www.history.com/shows/the-bible/episodes ) shows there are 5 episodes. In the case of The Lost Room the official website never/no longer exists/ed so we move on to a known trusted source ( http://www.tvrage.com/shows/id-14688/episode_guide ) which clearly shows the correct number of episodes for the series in question. Basically your link to Wikipedia means all of jack so we aren't going to look at it nor listen to you.
3. "This is clearly a situation where logic dictates blah blah blah and make an exception because I demand it blah blah blah so @*%& you"
I stop reading 3-4 words into posts like these if not sooner. We are not going to make an exception to our pre-established rules simply to appeal to your well worded assault/insult. You all seem to waste a lot of time writing out these sometimes well and more often not well thought out posts. You can make them as much as you'd like but it won't change the facts. Every bit of valid evidence points to the contrary and we have also clearly explained the current limitations of the site when it comes to numbering of this manner. People sometimes go as far as to make personal threats or even vandalize our site, not to mention adding duplicates we have to spend time to remove that could be spent otherwise answering and completing valid requests. Posts like these and the actions that follow make you look like assholes. I'm not sure if some of you realize this or not so I'm spelling it out here for you.

This is just a quick rundown to make a point. It is easy enough to make 6-10 NFO files ( viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7940 ) but out of either stubbornness or laziness many folks won't. I shouldn't have to waste too much more time on the topic but already know I will. Feel free to post your crap in this thread instead of making others and I'll leave it unlocked unless it gets entirely out of control. Thanks.

--Aaron

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Re: The Bible / The Lost Room

Postby hikaricore » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:37 pm

For the super lazy among you I've gone ahead and created a set of basic NFO files for The Bible. Now shut the hell up.

*note* link fixed (again)

RagingLoon

Postby RagingLoon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:47 am

That MediaFire link with your nfo's has been destroyed by MediaFire. Anyhow, here's the 10-part nfo's and tbn's ready for XBMC... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18506799/Loose% ... 0Bible.zip After doing this I realized I could've just added the series as season 0 through the TVDB to get it listed as 10 episodes... http://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seri ... 9627&lid=7

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:10 am

The link has been fixed. Thanks for noticing. However on the topic of season 0, no you're wrong you couldn't have. That content was added erroneously by someone and has now been removed. Season 0 is locked and if people just keep adding content wherever the hell they feel like it I'll have to lock the entire series.

RagingLoon

Postby RagingLoon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:50 am

Makes sense. I thought it was odd to see all those in season 0. Glad I stuck with my custom season 1 approach. People with the dvd or blu ray will either have to mux them into the aired 5 episode version or use custom nfo's. The first post here says it all.

pko

Postby pko » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:32 pm

First of all, my complete respect to what hikaricore says, the emission order has many good reasons to be the "official" order for thetvdb and, in addition, is important to have a reliable and coherent criteria. But there are some times ("The Room" and "The Bible" are cited here, but some others come to mind, like "Firefly" or the "additional episode" of fringe, or when official DVD edition ordering differs -and sometimes seems more appropriate for the show, as IMHO happens with both Room and Bible-) when there is an alternate episode numbering or division/aggregation of episodes that also makes sense and that for a sizeable number of people is the preferred one (creators, producers and network programmers have different motivations and necessities and that sometimes leads to these situations).

So, maybe it could be a good idea to consider to offer the option (I would like to call it "the machete option") for alternate episode orderings (that may include also joining certain episodes, or slicing other in several parts). Those alternatives would be always in addition to the "official" one and would only be allowed when it makes sense to the administrators. The actual implementation requires some changes to the show page (to select/name/add/edit) and to the API (to be visible to apps), but I hope it could be take into consideration.

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:45 pm

The new site will have additional ordering options but it will still be some time before it is complete. Someday soon these types of issues will be a thing of the past. :)

ManiacB
Site Moderator

Postby ManiacB » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:55 am

hikaricore wrote:Now shut the hell up.

I laughed more than I should have done. Perhaps it was because this thread is about The Bible :D

bad_runner

Postby bad_runner » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:47 am

The ordering must have changed, I know I had these listed as 1x01,1x03,1x05,1x07,1x09 because they originally aired in 2 hr form and I had to list them this way to get them to match TVDB which had them in 10 episodes. Checked today and now they're in 5 total episodes (the way they should be). So it's fixed! DVD and BD editions could just add Part 1 and Part 2 to end of file name and it should seam them together when played (depending on media center).

blakmarkit

Postby blakmarkit » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:08 am

Odd.

I know for a fact that when I checked the History Channel's website when The Bible started to air at the beginning of March, it had listed 10 distinct episodes with the titles that now only show up in Wikipedia's listing (Ep 1&2 was Beginning/Exodus, 3&4 was Homeland/Kingdom, etc.). Apparently they changed their mind.