A question and a potential concern about the new support site.

Discuss ongoing matters concerning the application of site policies, or the policies themselves, here.
Forum rules
This forum is now read-only. Support for TheTVDB.com is now available at https://support.thetvdb.com/ We also have a Knowledgebase which includes site rules and tips at https://support.thetvdb.com/kb/
User avatar
szsori
Site Admin
Posts: 2298
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:23 pm

Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:11 pm

I understand and agree with the concern. However, there are a LOT of reasons for us to switch to an actual ticketing system. I won't get into the details on everything unless someone really needs me to, but understand that it's a lengthy list, which is why I've wanted this change for at least a decade.

The current plan of deprecating the forums in favor of the support system will be followed. At that point we'll pay close attention to complaints coming in, and will devise additional strategy as necessary. We have the option of doing things like adding discussions directly onto the records themselves, for example. Knowing exactly what we'll need will first require that we have ticketing in place and being used. We'll make the change, but we'll be watching closely to make sure we do whatever else is necessary to provide proper support to the community.
Timelife08094
Posts: 621
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:07 pm

Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:32 pm

eherberg wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:08 pm
They can still happen - it will just be easier to track for staff. To be fair - the user's reason for replacement was he was obsessed over having the guests included in his screenshots which was the source of why he was rejected. The existing screenshots with text in them could have been reported by another user (or the original user) and would have then been replaced. The two were unrelated issues that happened to be on the same subject (and in a forum environment could possibly have been overlooked by the volunteers who maintain the moderation of site policy and data). There was nothing in particular about his actual images that caused them to be used other than they were available and were certainly not used because we changed our minds on his initial request. Any user's images for replacement would have been used.

The users reason was dumb and he or she was pretty crass but the end result was screenshots with text being replaced which would not have happened if other users couldn't have chimed in.
User avatar
Lys
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:08 am
Location: Canada

Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:39 pm

I can definitely understand why this change is happening but I will miss the ability to coordinate on projects with other users. I haven't been able to do this in a while, but I had a really good sense of community while we were trying to fight a major wave of vandalism together, or sharing a big task with another member or moderator. Sometimes I also liked to help assist with finding sources for tougher series so their changes could go through as well, I wouldn't know there was something to resolve if it weren't for the forum.

Hopefully it does go well.
THRRRROWAWAY170KE3
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:55 pm

Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:45 pm

Yeah getting rid of the ability to coordinate on bigger issues is a huge shame.
Rohan Das
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:36 am
Location: India

Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:01 pm

szsori wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:11 pm
I understand and agree with the concern. However, there are a LOT of reasons for us to switch to an actual ticketing system. I won't get into the details on everything unless someone really needs me to, but understand that it's a lengthy list, which is why I've wanted this change for at least a decade.

The current plan of deprecating the forums in favor of the support system will be followed. At that point we'll pay close attention to complaints coming in, and will devise additional strategy as necessary. We have the option of doing things like adding discussions directly onto the records themselves, for example. Knowing exactly what we'll need will first require that we have ticketing in place and being used. We'll make the change, but we'll be watching closely to make sure we do whatever else is necessary to provide proper support to the community.
If possible Increase the Character Limit of Ticket Title on the New Support Site.
ChristyEzzell
Site Admin
Posts: 1509
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:01 pm

Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:35 am

Rohan Das wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:01 pm
szsori wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:11 pm
I understand and agree with the concern. However, there are a LOT of reasons for us to switch to an actual ticketing system. I won't get into the details on everything unless someone really needs me to, but understand that it's a lengthy list, which is why I've wanted this change for at least a decade.

The current plan of deprecating the forums in favor of the support system will be followed. At that point we'll pay close attention to complaints coming in, and will devise additional strategy as necessary. We have the option of doing things like adding discussions directly onto the records themselves, for example. Knowing exactly what we'll need will first require that we have ticketing in place and being used. We'll make the change, but we'll be watching closely to make sure we do whatever else is necessary to provide proper support to the community.
If possible Increase the Character Limit of Ticket Title on the New Support Site.
I will look into the character issue.
ChristyEzzell
Site Admin
Posts: 1509
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:01 pm

Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:40 am

ChristyEzzell wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:35 am
Rohan Das wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:01 pm
szsori wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:11 pm
I understand and agree with the concern. However, there are a LOT of reasons for us to switch to an actual ticketing system. I won't get into the details on everything unless someone really needs me to, but understand that it's a lengthy list, which is why I've wanted this change for at least a decade.

The current plan of deprecating the forums in favor of the support system will be followed. At that point we'll pay close attention to complaints coming in, and will devise additional strategy as necessary. We have the option of doing things like adding discussions directly onto the records themselves, for example. Knowing exactly what we'll need will first require that we have ticketing in place and being used. We'll make the change, but we'll be watching closely to make sure we do whatever else is necessary to provide proper support to the community.
If possible Increase the Character Limit of Ticket Title on the New Support Site.
I will look into the character issue.
We've upped the character limit to 75, but the subject line isn't really meant to contain the full context of the issue, so please use it sparingly.
Rohan Das
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:36 am
Location: India

Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:36 pm

ChristyEzzell wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:40 am
We've upped the character limit to 75, but the subject line isn't really meant to contain the full context of the issue, so please use it sparingly.
Yeah! 75 would do, 50 was a bit low.

One more thing, TV Shows's First Page don't have "CONTENT RATING" anymore.
Please add that back!
bluesquirrel
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:44 pm
Location: Australia

Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:40 pm

Am I correct in saying that you now require an account to browse tickets and read reports?
eherberg
Site Moderator
Posts: 523
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:56 pm

Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:52 pm

bluesquirrel wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:40 pm
Am I correct in saying that you now require an account to browse tickets and read reports?
You will need an account on osTicket, yes. Note that you can see your tickets -- not other users.
Locked