A question and a potential concern about the new support site.

Discuss ongoing matters concerning the application of site policies, or the policies themselves, here.
Forum rules
This forum is now read-only. Support for TheTVDB.com is now available at https://support.thetvdb.com/ We also have a Knowledgebase which includes site rules and tips at https://support.thetvdb.com/kb/
THRRRROWAWAY170KE3

Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:57 pm

Apologies in advance if the my question has been answered.

Can I view support tickets that have been submitted by other users? I'd like to know if what I'm submitting has already been submitted.

This ticket system really does look promising, but if the answer to the above question is no, then that means you're completely getting rid of the community and discussion aspect of support that this forum provides. How am I supposed to know why a series is a certain way after September 15?
eherberg
Site Moderator

Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:08 pm

The Knowledge Base will be a good resource for finding out info on why a series is the way it is (and should always be searched before submitting a ticket). Notes on a series can also still be added directly to an entry and series-specific sections of the Knowledge Base can always be updated.

Because it has always been ... does not mean it has always been good ... and using the forums for this purpose has never been a good solution. Support can be done internally in a more streamlined support system with more consistency than when discussions are spread across multiple topics.
Timelife08094

Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:41 pm

Seems to me that it will add a little work for the staff.
Regular users won't be able to provide information to other users and answer their questions.
eherberg
Site Moderator

Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:45 pm

However, consistency will be improved
Timelife08094

Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:48 pm

I will miss the forums dearly. Spend a lot of time here.
Guess I'll have to pay more attention to my wife.
eherberg
Site Moderator

Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:02 pm

Just think of all that extra time devoted to making entries now. :-)
THRRRROWAWAY170KE3

Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:38 pm

I'm sorry but think this move is really going to stifle discussion and make the user base's voice weaker. Whenever I post on this forum, I have the assurance that it's public. Mod/Admin input, agreements, disagreements, etc. are all public. But now it's not.

Why bother expressing any disagreement over anything anymore? You already shut down discussions when a topic is posted again, but at least right now you have something to link to. So should I expect future support tickets to be closed with nothing but "this has already been discussed, refer to the series page and/or Knowledge Base?" How has it been discussed? What did the user say and what evidence was presented? What was the mod's response? Impossible to know after the 15th.

To be clear I'm talking about fully moving to the support site and completely retiring the forum. Again, the support site does look promising, but it shouldn't be the only avenue of support. It really should be just for data removal like duplicates or simple adjustments. Everything else that requires discussion should remain here.

And what about bumping? If my ticket hasn't been addressed in a while, what do I do?

Just my 2 cents.
eherberg
Site Moderator

Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:05 pm

Of note - starting today tickets should be used. You'll notice there is no link to the forums from the main site any longer - but instead a link to the support portal. Posting here may also be prompted to begin using tickets to help remind users who go to the forums directly until such time as the forum is set to read-only. Having 2 different places support has to be handled is likely not going to be an option. :-)
Timelife08094

Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:31 pm

Here is an example of the usefulness of a public forum.
Recently a user wanted to replace some screenshots. His reasoning was not accepted by the staff and he was rejected. I noticed a flaw with the existing screenshots, pointed it out and the staff agreed and changed the screenshots for the user. Scenarios like that can never happen again. It will be much less of a community.
eherberg
Site Moderator

Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:08 pm

They can still happen - it will just be easier to track for staff. To be fair - the user's reason for replacement was he was obsessed over having the guests included in his screenshots which was the source of why he was rejected. The existing screenshots with text in them could have been reported by another user (or the original user) and would have then been replaced. The two were unrelated issues that happened to be on the same subject (and in a forum environment could possibly have been overlooked by the volunteers who maintain the moderation of site policy and data). There was nothing in particular about his actual images that caused them to be used other than they were available and were certainly not used because we changed our minds on his initial request. Any user's images for replacement would have been used.