New format for existing series

Discuss ongoing matters concerning the application of site policies, or the policies themselves, here.
Forum rules
This forum is now read-only. Support for TheTVDB.com is now available at https://support.thetvdb.com/ We also have a Knowledgebase which includes site rules and tips at https://support.thetvdb.com/kb/
windb

Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:39 am

This series: https://www.thetvdb.com/series/opj-pacifique-sud has been shown in 2019 on France Ô with episodes of 25 minutes. This is the format documented on thetvdb.com.

The series is now broadcast on other TV channels, in particular TV5Monde, with episodes of 50 minutes usually shown in pair. In addition, the new format uses a new episode title of the type "Un plat qui se mange froid - Part 1 of 2" and "Un plat qui se mange froid - Part 2 of 2" burnt in the video around minute 3 or 4. The result is that the first old episodes which carry four different titles each for s01e01, s01e02, s01e03 and s01e04 now seem grouped in two 50 minute episodes part 1 and part 2.

So if you follow the new format, the situation is totally confusing :( as there is no way you can match the new episodes with the content of thetvdb.com.

Would it be acceptable to create a new version of the series, for example "OPJ Pacific sud - TV5Monde" that would reflect the new format created by the producers for TV5Monde?
Imzadi
Site Moderator

Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:27 am

Are these a re-airing if the same episodes, differently cut or combined? In that cast we only list episodes how they originally aired. A duplicate series is not allowed.
windb

Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:48 am

I don't have access to the original 2019 episodes, so I can't answer definitely.

What I can definitely confirm is they have a new hard coded title into the video, the duration is 50 min vs. 25 min. and the summaries are fairly different. This makes the current tvdb.com description totally useless for the new episodes.

On the other hand, what is the logic of preventing the creation of a new version of the series, clearly identified, that would match what everyone is watching in 2020 on TV5Monde?

Do you have another solution ? I think we need some flexibility or some workaround.

Thanks for your response.
polargeek
Site Admin

Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:43 pm

windb wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:48 am
I don't have access to the original 2019 episodes, so I can't answer definitely.

What I can definitely confirm is they have a new hard coded title into the video, the duration is 50 min vs. 25 min. and the summaries are fairly different. This makes the current tvdb.com description totally useless for the new episodes.

On the other hand, what is the logic of preventing the creation of a new version of the series, clearly identified, that would match what everyone is watching in 2020 on TV5Monde?

Do you have another solution ? I think we need some flexibility or some workaround.

Thanks for your response.
If this is in fact the same footage that is simply recombined into different pairings. Then this is not the first time this has happened, in fact, it has happened a lot. And in all cases, our rule is exactly the same no duplicates for any reason. We do not make exceptions to this rule or the site would be littered with similar duplicates and exceptions. And the rule would be effectively useless.

Most media centre tools allow you to combine episodes into a single listing. In many cases that is something like: Series Name - S01E01E02 - Title.ext or Series Name - S01x01x02 -Title.ext

We can add an alternate order to the series. You would have to recreate all the episodes. Also at this time that order is not retrievable through our API and is only viewable on the website. It will be available at some point in the future but exact timelines for that are unavailable.
windb

Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:31 am

The first option is not the best: although my media player supports combining episodes, the metadata -- titles and summaries -- won't match the combined episodes.
The option of adding an alternate order seems interesting, but I am not sure about the API restriction: does that mean that the media application (Plex in my case) wont't be able to retrieve the order? That would be an issue.
windb

Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:33 am

Regarding the creation of the alternate order, other than the API issue, I do have the correct content available, so that wouldn't be a hassle.
polargeek
Site Admin

Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:05 am

Sorry missed your previous reply. Unfortunately yes the alternate order would not currently be retrievable by Plex. In an update to the site that is currently being worked on those orders will be exposed to the API.

If you wish to populate it I have added an alternate order called 2020 Recut and created the first season. You could now create new episodes for that order.
windb

Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:43 am

Sorry I missed your last response. Thanks for creating the alternate order, I think I will populate it soon, and wait for your update for Plex support.
windb

Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:33 am

I have populated the alternate order. Using the first-aired order is still a big hassle and I am looking forward to your API update.