There is an "Announcements" sub-forum in this site. Please use it more often.

Discuss ongoing matters concerning the application of site policies, or the policies themselves, here.
Forum rules
This forum is now read-only. Support for TheTVDB.com is now available at https://support.thetvdb.com/ We also have a Knowledgebase which includes site rules and tips at https://support.thetvdb.com/kb/
THRRRROWAWAY170KE3

Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:08 am

I just noticed last night that the feature that you've been promising for what feels like a year now has finally been added: the lists/franchise feature. It's finally implemented it without so much as an announcement? Why?

How does this feature work? What's the intended purpose? Can I search for lists? Are official lists treated differently from unofficial ones? Can I request for an unofficial list to be made official? Do duplicates matter? Does this change the structure of the overall site besides being an extra section at the bottom of a show/movie entry? Will this feature be expanded upon?

I'm sorry I really don't want to be a dick about this but these are basic questions that I thought of while browsing the lists section for a couple minutes. All of these questions and more should be laid out in an Announcement post instead of making the feature live and hoping for the best.

Because then you'd get feedback and discussion about the feature from your users. I'll start. I don't think opinion lists should be allowed. The site is a database for information about TV shows. If I go to the Fleabag page for example, I just want to see the facts about the show. I don't care at all that it's in a list of Emily's Favorite Content. That sort of thing is only useful in a more socially oriented TV site like Trakt. Not saying that custom shouldn't be allowed at all, but they should be factual. However, I can definitely imagine this being a nightmare to enforce with endless posts on this forum requesting you do delete lists like the Fleabag one so I'll concede this point.

I know the Bible has a "NEW FEATURES 2020" section (it's where I learned about Certified Records) so maybe all of this could be added there, but the issue of notifying users of the new feature remains and a FAQ of sorts should be it's own post instead of cluttering up the Bible.

Speaking of the Bible, I just noticed it's recently been updated on July 8. What's been added? The latest bullet point in the aforementioned section?

I made a post exactly like this two months ago today (coincidence) and it went ignored. Please don't ignore this post too.

Again, I'm sorry if I'm coming across a dick with this post, but this is something that's really been frustrating to me about this site and I just had to get it off my chest. I do think this post is constructive in my defense.

P.S. I'm posting this here and not in the General Discussion forum because this is directed at the admins specifically and adding new features without disclosure concerns "application of site policies."
ChristyEzzell
Site Admin

Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:24 am

THRRRROWAWAY170KE3 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:08 am
I just noticed last night that the feature that you've been promising for what feels like a year now has finally been added: the lists/franchise feature. It's finally implemented it without so much as an announcement? Why?

How does this feature work? What's the intended purpose? Can I search for lists? Are official lists treated differently from unofficial ones? Can I request for an unofficial list to be made official? Do duplicates matter? Does this change the structure of the overall site besides being an extra section at the bottom of a show/movie entry? Will this feature be expanded upon?

I'm sorry I really don't want to be a dick about this but these are basic questions that I thought of while browsing the lists section for a couple minutes. All of these questions and more should be laid out in an Announcement post instead of making the feature live and hoping for the best.

Because then you'd get feedback and discussion about the feature from your users. I'll start. I don't think opinion lists should be allowed. The site is a database for information about TV shows. If I go to the Fleabag page for example, I just want to see the facts about the show. I don't care at all that it's in a list of Emily's Favorite Content. That sort of thing is only useful in a more socially oriented TV site like Trakt. Not saying that custom shouldn't be allowed at all, but they should be factual. However, I can definitely imagine this being a nightmare to enforce with endless posts on this forum requesting you do delete lists like the Fleabag one so I'll concede this point.

I know the Bible has a "NEW FEATURES 2020" section (it's where I learned about Certified Records) so maybe all of this could be added there, but the issue of notifying users of the new feature remains and a FAQ of sorts should be it's own post instead of cluttering up the Bible.

Speaking of the Bible, I just noticed it's recently been updated on July 8. What's been added? The latest bullet point in the aforementioned section?

I made a post exactly like this two months ago today (coincidence) and it went ignored. Please don't ignore this post too.

Again, I'm sorry if I'm coming across a dick with this post, but this is something that's really been frustrating to me about this site and I just had to get it off my chest. I do think this post is constructive in my defense.

P.S. I'm posting this here and not in the General Discussion forum because this is directed at the admins specifically and adding new features without disclosure concerns "application of site policies."
Hi,

Happy to hear of your enthusiasm. This was literally added less than 24 hours ago. We will be rolling out an official guide to answer all your questions soon.
THRRRROWAWAY170KE3

Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:40 pm

What's the status on this? Apologies in advance if I missed it.