Change request denial

Discuss ongoing matters concerning the application of site policies, or the policies themselves, here.
Forum rules
This sub-forum is for the discussion of site policy and the handling thereof ONLY.
Please direct all change requests to the main forum.
belchamder

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:20 am

Hi there,

I have a question regarding the enforcement of change of request denials and the policy behind them, regarding The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, https://www.thetvdb.com/series/chilling ... of-sabrina.

I have searched through previous posts asking for a change of season order, and I have had a look at another post in Policy Inquiries and I feel like I need further clarification regarding this issue.

From what I could see in the threads I looked at, the core reason for not breaking up season 1 into two different seasons appeared to be due to them being ordered at the same time and being counted as one season with a mid season break.

However, my question with this is, with the release of Part 3, which has so far been listed as Season 3, which reasoning is being followed?. If the original reasoning, that it counted as one season was to be followed, then that would by default make Part 3 Season 2 rather than season 3, because we were previously operation under the assumption that Part 1 and Part 2 were combined season 1. While I disagree with the original decision and think it should have been separate from the start, that is a separate issue.

I feel like according the previous discussion either there are only two seasons, with Part 1 and 2 in season 1 and Part 3 in season two, or three separate seasons, because as it stands I looks to me that the policy is being used to justify something that isn't being followed.

I feel like I rambled a bit here, and if you need me to clarify my question further, I'd be happy to. I'm just confused in regards to the enforcement previously, which conflicts with the new season as listed currently.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
eherberg

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:55 am

It comes from their own press releases when the season was ordered:
Netflix has conjured up some excellent news for Chilling Adventures of Sabrina fans: The Kiernan Shipka-led drama series has been renewed for Season 2 (aka Parts 3 and 4)
The same was done for season 1 as well as other Netflix properties. 'The Ranch', for example had a 20 episode order that was split into 2 parts so interested viewers are more likely to keep that Netflix subscription money rolling in.

There is an alternate ordering already available for those who want their seasons split into parts.
belchamder

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:07 pm

I get that, but the gist of what I was asking was, in that case why is Part 3 listing as season 3? I don't understand why it isn't being enforced that Part 3 inst season 2.

Also on the ordering episodes as a means to decide season numbers, does that mean shows like Rick and Morty, that had 70 episodes ordered at once are going to be have a 70 episode season? Where do you draw the distinction between episodes ordered and parts/seasons?

Thanks again
eherberg

Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:17 pm

Fortunately, we were able to witness the whole thing happen live. If you were following 'The Ranch', for example during season one on Netflix, you saw the first half of season one released. Months later you saw the 2nd half of season one released ... and they were all 'season one' on Netflix. But then you had people complaining 'Hey, you're Netflix. Why aren't you releasing the entire season at once?" Move ahead to the future - and all of a sudden the second season (which we know was ordered as a complete season) comes out as season 2 ... at least the first half. But Netflix in perhaps a statement about the interest level of their typical users (or not, based on the number of inquiries on 'sabrina' here) - decides with the 2nd half of season 2 to start calling it parts. Even they won't use the word 'seasons' - because they know that's not true. But if they release chunks of it in 'parts' - it apparently satisfies those who want complete 'season' releases at one time for binge watching. But as we saw this happen live - it was pretty easy to spot for Netflix originals when 'parts' started appearing for other programs as well.

For the other part of your question - I guess I don't understand
'why is Part 3 listing as season 3? I don't understand why it isn't being enforced that Part 3 inst season 2.'
The listings here do reflect that. If the question is because there are different listings between different international versions of Netflix - in this case the US version takes precendence (being a US-produced program). If there is an international version of Netflix using the word 'seasons' for 'parts' - it wouldn't override the simple fact that we know what Netflix is doing with their releases.

This is one of the primary things alternative ordering was created for. Want your episodes divided into parts? Knock yourself out. The availability of flexible seasoning is on the roadmap for api use -- and then you can bug your favorite software/tool to upgrade. Given how many of those still cling to V.1 (after years of suggestions not to) or people using long-since abandoned software - you'll likely find that a difficult road
lkeels

Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:02 am

I would like to add to this, as I just had a season change request denied for this same show. I did not realize the bruhaha going on surrounding it. However, I do have two things to add.

1) There is no longer a mystery about how the creator of this show views the seasons. There are 3, not 2. Period. This is no longer for TVDB to decide or present opinion on or show alternate orders for. It is fact and final. Netflix cleared up the confusion with the release of season 3 just a few days ago. The argument for an "alternate order" is no longer valid.

2) The TVDB is now in violation of it's own policy on this. I note specifically that the "official listing will be considered gospel"...this is not being adhered to with this series. Full text of TVDB policy is below.

I ask that TVDB step up and fix this issue rather than expressing disdain for it being brought up again. The listing is simply wrong and having it there wrong helps no one.

TVDB Policy:
Preferred Sources
Official Websites — The official listing for a series in its country of origin.
Unless the listing is a mess or conflicts with an existing site rule (i.e. splitting of multipart episodes in animated series or discrepancies with the aired ordering), the official listing will be considered gospel.

Thank you again for your consideration.
DaxSever

Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:38 am

If netflix releases a whole season at once they label it "Season" if the split the season they call it Parts. I don't understand the confusion. Would you label shows that air in the fall, go on break and come back in spring as two different seasons. Of course not, its the same concept.

They just label it as parts so it's easier to find the new episodes when they release the second half of a season.

DaxSever

Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:21 am

Here is a screen cap of the production list from the Directors Guild of Canada showing Season 2 Production starting May 17, 2019 over a month after the 1st Season of 20 Episodes (Part 1 & 2) had finished airing.

https://www.dgc.ca/assets/Uploads/Briti ... n-List.pdf