Wrestling / UFC / Sports Allowed?

Discuss ongoing matters concerning the application of site policies, or the policies themselves, here.
Forum rules
This sub-forum is for the discussion of site policy and the handling thereof ONLY.
Please direct all change requests to the main forum.
szsori
Site Admin

Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:23 am

Hello everyone. As part of the v3 re-launch, which we expect to happen in late October, we'll tentatively be supporting WWE and UFC. Note that other sports are still NOT allowed. We're using these first two as test cases to see how it goes.

Our plan for WWE and UFC is to allow the community to determine how these should be structured and come up with a plan for other WWE and UFC records that should be modified or deleted. You can start that discussion below. Since most of our moderators are unfamiliar with WWE and UFC, we'll be monitoring discussions to try finding one or two moderators that can take ownership of these series based on the rules that are defined within this discussion. If you would like to be considered explicitly, please let us know. I expect with the focus being just a few series that it would require an hour or two of effort per week.

Please post any thoughts about WWE and UFC inclusion, where you think the problematic parts are, what the core records should be, and what records should potentially be deleted. We have about 6 weeks to hash this all out.
axminster

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:09 pm

I think WWE (and other wrestling shows in general) should be organized in a way that each season represents a year. For example, WWE Raw debuted in 1993, so 1993 would be the first season and so on. That would also work fine on NXT, that went from a fixed season to weekly episodes. I updated both RAW and SmackDown once but the record has been deleted, here's the link on Trakt for the first season of WWE RAW. I really like the way this came out and would be willing to do it again, so I would like to be considered for a moderator for wrestling shows. Besides WWE, there are some other shows in need of an update, like Impact Wrestling and the upcoming AEW tv show. WCW Monday Nitro and WCW Thunder could also use an upgrade on titles, descriptions and episode images.
l3uddz

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:21 pm

Would UFC not be best following anime absolute numbering? Considering the event numbers incrementally increases; UFC 240/241/242 etc...

Currently we have UFC Primetime, which is following a yearly season standard, it would appear.

UFC events and UFC fight night would probably be best separated into two series?

Perhaps;

UFC (Events only, absolute numbering, 1 -> 242 currently).
UFC Fight Night (Not sure how often this airs, or what structure?)
szsori
Site Admin

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:38 pm

"UFC events" has 492 entries:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UFC_events

Other than the two you listed there's also UFC on ESPN. I assume completely separate production company and announcers for that, so a third series?
l3uddz

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:51 pm

szsori wrote:"UFC events" has 492 entries:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UFC_events

Other than the two you listed there's also UFC on ESPN. I assume completely separate production company and announcers for that, so a third series?
Yep I think that would be it’s own series.

My thinking would be an event series following the official absolute numbering standard they themselves are using (1-242 +) which should be easy to follow, assuming they don’t decide to deviate, which seems unlikely considering the ten years or more of following this standard.

UFC Fight Night (not sure - perhaps date based)

UFC on ESPN (perhaps date based again?)
fatalfurry

Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:03 pm

Historically they also had UFC on FOX.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_UFC

For each event there may also be a preliminary and early preliminary fights that are separate from the main event.
l3uddz

Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:16 pm

fatalfurry wrote:Historically they also had UFC on FOX.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_UFC

For each event there may also be a preliminary and early preliminary fights that are separate from the main event.
Also the post event conference. Definitely added complications...

I guess it depends, how wide the scope will be for this trial?

I imagine, the majority of the time, people would be looking for the main events?
Lmf

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:38 am

I don't know UFC Shows, bur for WWE, i'm agree with axminster, one season must be a year, for the following shows that constituted the all WWE storyline :
- WWE Raw
- WWE Smackdown
- WWE 205 Live
- WWE NXT
- WWE NXT UK
- WWE Pay-Per-View
- WWE NXT TakeOver
and - WWE NXT TakeOver UK
swattx
Site Moderator

Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:51 pm

I agree with axminster as well and personal vouch for him as a moderator as well. I currently want to throw my name as a moderator as well. I’m currently updating the wrestling shows on themoviedb with titles, descriptions, screenshots and posters. I would like to update everything on this site.
jfeeser

Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:28 pm

I know this may be "poking the bear", but does this open the door to other wrestling federations as well? I've been maintaining seasons for the following over at another site:

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla
Ring of Honor
New Japan Pro Wrestling
AEW Wrestling
World Wonder Ring Stardom
EVOLVE
Chikara

And a couple others...i'd love to consolidate everything to TVDB. Thoughts?