Money Heist / La Casa de Papel Update

Discuss ongoing matters concerning the application of site policies, or the policies themselves, here.
Forum rules
This sub-forum is for the discussion of site policy and the handling thereof ONLY.
Please direct all change requests to the main forum.
ChristyEzzell

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:37 am

As many of our users know, "Money Heist" aka "La Casa de Papel" has been a source of contention regarding the episode order for some time. This has to do with the fact that Spanish network Antena 3 was the original broadcaster of the series and their broadcast was a single season with 15 long episodes. When Netflix got the rights to air the program globally, Netflix recut the first season into 2 parts, but shorter episodes -- S1 (13 episodes) and S2 (9 episodes). It has long been our policy that TheTVDB honors the originating network and that is why users will see "Money Heist's" official record on TheTVDB as S1 fitting Antena 3's original broadcast. We understand and sympathize that Netflix users disagree with this format, but for now the new episodes airing on July 19th (exclusively for Netflix) will be listed as S2. In the forthcoming site, and in a newly built API that we hope will come later this year, functionality will be introduced that will allow for an alternate episode order and the Netflix recut will be listed as well. We understand that this is a frustrating issue, but for now, we must adhere to our long standing policies until we can offer users the use of this flexible order. Thank you for your understanding.
jeroen84

Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:57 am

I fully agree to the listing of Season 1 with 15 episodes, that's the clear policy of the site.
However, what's the reasoning for listing the current episodes as Season 2?
Neither of the broadcasters, Antenna3 or Netflix, list these episodes as Season 2.
As I read the policy, there should be no Season 2 at all.

Not trying to say you are wrong, I just like to understand which policy is applied here.
adriel
Site Moderator

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:00 am

Neither does Netflix refer to episode lists as "season", but "part". It stands to reason that after a "season 1", come the "season 2," not the third. It is not possible to have Season 1 and Season 3 because of a broadcaster that cuts a season and sells as two.
Adriel
Live long and prosper! Image
jeroen84

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:27 pm

adriel wrote:Neither does Netflix refer to episode lists as "season", but "part".
Looking at the Netflix site, they use both "part" and "season" interchangeably.
They refer to the current episodes as "part 3" as well as "season 3".
https://www.netflix.com/title/80192098
adriel wrote:It stands to reason that after a "season 1", come the "season 2," not the third. It is not possible to have Season 1 and Season 3 because of a broadcaster that cuts a season and sells as two.
I don't see why this would not be possible, as it is an effect of the series being continued by a new broadcaster.
As I mentioned before, that has always been the number 1 policy: "list the episodes as they are first broadcasted".
Therefore, as I see the policy, listing them correctly is more important than listing them logically.
So to my interpretation: If that would mean there is no Season 2, so be it.

As I have said before, I'm just trying to understand the reason why it has been chosen to name them Season 2.
Since this will not be the last series which are taken over/continued by Netflix, this situation will probably return in the future for other series.
It will help to smooth those listings, if there is a clear policy on how to handle these kind of season shuffles.
Maybe it's already in the policy and maybe I am just missing it, please let me know.

It would be sad to see if it would run into similar discussions as there have been for this series, every time a series is taken over and reshuffled.
As you probably know very well as admin/moderator, those discussions tend to get uncivilized/personal very often.
adriel
Site Moderator

Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:43 am

There will be no exception to a series because some broadcaster distribute content as it suits them. As already said, wait for V3 so we can find a way to solve a problem that Netflix has created.
Adriel
Live long and prosper! Image
szsori
Site Admin

Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:55 am

Since this will not be the last series which are taken over/continued by Netflix, this situation will probably return in the future for other series.
Which is why the new site launches with flexible seasons, to allow multiple orders per series. However, the API for that, which allows systems like Plex and Kodi to make use of our data, won't be ready for a while. Regardless, for now we're following the official order as defined by Netflix.
norastr

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:47 pm

I understand that you want to follow the rules but, and I don't know if this has been mentioned before, it would be a shame to not let the public interact over the few episodes in season/part 2 that are missing on the app. The series is now a netflix series and the app should, therefore, respect their way of numbering the episodes. At least that is how I see it.
jeroen84

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:59 pm

szsori wrote:Regardless, for now we're following the official order as defined by Netflix.
That's good to hear.
Any idea when these changes will be made?
szsori
Site Admin

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:26 pm

jeroen84 wrote:Any idea when these changes will be made?
Soon. Days rather than weeks. But the API for systems to make use of this will need work, and systems that make use of that API will need updating as well. So even though we'll handle it on the site, it won't necessarily be available in every client system as quickly.
marshalleq

Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:20 am

Great that there's a solution coming, shame that until then the current policy isn't considering how people need to watch it. I mean, nobody as far as I am aware will ever watch season 3 as season 2, because it isn't season 2. It makes very little sense to me - and the arrogance of @rev.pragon locking the thread linked below without even giving me a chance to reply. Boy oh boy, my parents taught me better manners than that. If he had been prepared to listen, he would have heard he has 6 missing episodes, which is probably the REAL thing people are trying to say, it's just that they realise it's in the wrong order, assume it's that, then get shot down by deaf ears.

My 2c, people are more important than policies and this won't be the last time this happens with the way studios are buying old shows these days - the Expanse is another one I can think of.

Well done for a great site though, just a minor hiccup on a largely flawless journey - hopefully someone can add the missing episodes! :D

https://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.ph ... 17#p154317