Futon Critic

Discuss ongoing matters concerning the application of site policies, or the policies themselves, here.
Forum rules
This sub-forum is for the discussion of site policy and the handling thereof ONLY.
Please direct all change requests to the main forum.
Magitroopa

Futon Critic

Postby Magitroopa » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:20 pm

So I received a PM from a moderator here (a very rude and mean message, actually)- anyways, my main point is that the moderator told me Futon Critic is not an approved source for production codes? Yet Futon Critic is typically an acceptable source, even on Wikipedia. Is this true or is the moderator wrong about this?

Imzadi
Site Moderator

Re: Futon Critic

Postby Imzadi » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:32 pm

You can find all acceptable sources here.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9271

Magitroopa

Postby Magitroopa » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:52 pm

Taking a look at that thread, it's originally from March 2012, last updated in December 2015, and it's now almost July 2019 (also some other updates as well as comments up to 2017). Might want to consider revamping this list?...

* TvRage.com doesn't work at all
* Most of the "preferred" sources are just involving anime, with 1 only good for UK
* Tv.com is very laggy/unresponsive, and at least for TV shows I focus on, very outdated
* Imdb.com is listed on here, and is usually a pretty good source.... except anyone can edit it, just like Wikipedia
* Anidb.net is another, ONLY for anime site
* Fansites/Wikipedia/Wikias should probably be acceptable, if they are sourced properly. Yes, someone can edit the pages to have randomness/fake info listed, but most of the Wikias I used, I make sure it is properly sourced. Also for Wikipedia, many shows are properly sourced, with trusted editors making sure it is updated and that RELIABLE sources are used.

Honestly, this list really should get a good update and thorough checking, as not even Futon Critic or Zap2it is on at all, the two sites I would say would probably be the MOST reliable sources. Air dates, production codes, official titles, etc. I've seen many of the episodes of shows listed on both sites- they are usually very accurate unless a channel decides to change listings last minute.

Please consider this, it really would help a ton.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/
https://tvlistings.zap2it.com/?aid=gapzap

ChristyEzzell

Postby ChristyEzzell » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:13 pm

100% agree, as soon as the new site is out we will do a broad update of TV Sources of Truth. It's on the roadmap.

Mistywing

Postby Mistywing » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:34 pm

Sources of information probably need an update but acting like you can decide what's good on your own isn't the best idea and probably part of why you got a reprimand in your private messages.

Also ignoring official websites (they don't always exist but you omitted them completely) is a bit disingenuous. Though I'll admit that for the series you've contributed to, the official websites are sometimes pretty useless and headache inducing.

I'd caution against straightforwardly implementing Nielsens' Gracenote/Zap2it as preferred for the simple reason that I've already found conflicting information with TVGuide, which we already accept as preferred. This is unfortunate IMO but a choice will have to be made here I think.